IGNORED

Thread lock application to swing arm pivot pins

The Fabricator

The Fabricator

I have removed the gear box on my 1150GS [too] many times.

Each time I heat the pins to  melt the thread lock, clean the male and female threads, apply thread lock and install pins.

I am wondering how much [or more accurately] how little I can apply and still be safe, meaning nothing comes loose.

There is no specification of the amount to apply in the Genuine BMW Repair manual.

I use medium strength.

I always use a little blue locktite so I don't have to heat it the next time. There's no way those pins are coming out, not with the torque you use on those things.

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

basically a drop on the bolt.

This ^.  

I've watched guys who were putting anti-seize on airplane spark plugs paint all the threads.  It's like Brylcreem.... a little dab will do ya.

King Herald

I never bothered putting any on mine. I have no idea why BMW seem to feel it is so necessary on every fixing, when so many other vehicle manufacturers don't use it, ever. 

12 hours ago, The Fabricator said:

I have removed the gear box on my 1150GS [too] many times.

Each time I heat the pins to  melt the thread lock, clean the male and female threads, apply thread lock and install pins.

I am wondering how much [or more accurately] how little I can apply and still be safe, meaning nothing comes loose.

There is no specification of the amount to apply in the Genuine BMW Repair manual.

I use medium strength.

Morning Tom

Even a little Lock-Tite will usually spread out to cover most of the threads. 

Using medium Lock-Tite (like 242 blue) helps to prevent pulling/galling the alloy threads out upon removal but even then you should probably use a little heat prior to removal. The fine alloy side threads are easy to damage if the Lock-Tite is not softened first.    

Part of the Lock-Tite's job is prevent moisture entry therefore allowing the steel pins to react with then corrode to the alloy housing threads so use enough Lock-Tite to prevent that from happening. 

• Like 1