IGNORED

Caliper Air Gap

100,000m Club

100,000m Club

98 R1100RT, Rear Disc and pad change. Anyone have information on how to adjust the air gap at the caliper and where to obtain the shimms?

Thanks,

RC

Feeler gauge and shims..... Beemerboneyard.com would be the first place I'd look........but I've never had to buy any as swapping front and rear combos has always had enough shims for me.

11 hours ago, 100,000m Club said:

98 R1100RT, Rear Disc and pad change. Anyone have information on how to adjust the air gap at the caliper and where to obtain the shimms?

Thanks,

RC

Morning RC

"how to adjust the air gap at the caliper" -- Are you referring to the wheel speed sensor air gap?  

The feeler gauges should be in your factory motorcycle tool kit (if they haven't been lost or kept by a previous owner).

The adjustment procedure might be in your motorcycle riders manual (some were most weren't).

The shims (if any are needed) can be bought from your BMW dealer for about $5.00 per shim.

Measure the speed sensor to tone ring air gap at the tightest place (measure in 4 or 5 different places as the tone ring doesn't always spin perfectly without a little wobble). 

The spec is __    0.45mm - 0.55mm (0.018"- 0.022")

If no feeler gages handy then a standard utility knife blade is typically  between .017" & .018" thick.