IGNORED

Tire thread!!! (Pilot Road 4, 5, 6, GT?)

Scott9999

Considering the cost savings of a Michelin Road 4GT, or 5GT, over 6GT, what would you recommend for my next set of tires?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Considering the cost savings of a Michelin Road 4GT, or 5GT, over 6GT, what would you recommend for my next set of tires?

• 6 GT
    • 5 GT
    • 4 GT
    • Other tires, or not a Michelin fan, so I really couldn't say.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2023 at 10:39 AM

As I mentioned on the "passing it on" thread, Michelin is running it's Spring M/C tire sale, and I'm hoping that having that extra set sitting ready in the garage will convince me to get out on my bike and wear out the old ones.  (Aside: Logic always works better after a couple of beers ....).  The last couple of sets of tires I ran on my old 2005 Hexhead RT were Pilot Roads (probably 3, or maybe 4), I got good performance (at least through the first 2/3's of it's life) and great tire life (can't recall exactly now, but maybe in excess of 15K miles?).   So, though tires have gone through quite a few generations, I have intended to get back to the Michelin tires for my next set (i.e. first on the 2018).

The consensus (including Michelin) I've read says "Use GT on BMW RT's due to weight), so I'll go with that.  Surveying tire ads, I've noticed Michelin Road 5GT's running at perhaps a 20% discount to the 6GT's, and there are still some road 4GT's available out there which appear to be even more of a bargain.   I won't be scraping the pegs on my RT any time soon, I will be doing ~~ some ~~ 2 up riding, but limited. 

So, to help with my decision making, a poll.  I'd appreciate your feedback.  Anything I should know about the 4GTs', over 5GT, or 5GT over 6GT's?  (I will be checking dates, i.e. telling the seller something to the effect of "don't ship if tires are over two years old", or maybe 3 years).

(... and really, I DO apologize in advance for starting a tire thread! :dopeslap:)

I was just jumping on the site to see if anyone was talking tires , I am near the end of life of my Road 5GTs about 11K pretty even wear front and back , I am thinking Road 6 GT but would be fine with 5 again didn't like the front end feel of the 4GT for me. 

• Like 1

I don’t remember the name of the tires, they don’t last long enough to get to familiar with them. Sorry 😞 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
23 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I don’t remember the name of the tires, they don’t last long enough to get to familiar with them. Sorry 😞 

Well, Bernie, what can I say?  That means that you're buying the wrong tires.  You need a set of those venerable, 15 year guaranteed lifespan, **** CODGER TIRES (TM)   ****

Every old man gets 'em at some point, as they simply age and rot out on his unridden motorcycle.  Yours are coming eventually.  😏

• Haha 1

I discovered one thing with my R6's over the R5's. It may not be important to some, it makes a big difference to me. I am not a fan of the super slabs, but the freeways around Houston have a lot of scarified concrete to improve traction in the rain. That scarification drives me nuts when the roads are dry. The tires seem to feel squishy. I feel like I have less control. The bike feels like it is not tracking properly. After a couple of thousand miles on my new R6's, I realized that that slushiness was gone. So, I am a big fan of the R6's now.:18:

• Thanks 1

Are you settled on Michelin only?  Sure, they're good tires, but there are other good tires out there as well.  A set of R5s on Revzilla, including the rebate, will run you $445, and a set of R6s will run you $487, again including the rebate.

I've been running the Bridgestone Battlax T32s (in GT spec) for a year, and really like them.  You can get a set of them on Revzilla for $347.  I'd been a Michelin fan a long time (and still am), but for the price difference, I don't think I'm gaining that much, if anything.  Keep in mind that Bridgestone often runs rebates later in the year, so you may not see one soon.  But as you can see they're less expensive even without a rebate.

I'm sure others have more experience and certainly other opinions, but that's my 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, Geekmaster said:

Are you settled on Michelin only?  Sure, they're good tires, but there are other good tires out there as well.  A set of R5s on Revzilla, including the rebate, will run you $445, and a set of R6s will run you $487, again including the rebate.

I've been running the Bridgestone Battlax T32s (in GT spec) for a year, and really like them.  You can get a set of them on Revzilla for $347.  I'd been a Michelin fan a long time (and still am), but for the price difference, I don't think I'm gaining that much, if anything.  Keep in mind that Bridgestone often runs rebates later in the year, so you may not see one soon.  But as you can see they're less expensive even without a rebate.

I'm sure others have more experience and certainly other opinions, but that's my 2 cents.

I've had a bias against Bridgestone tires for about 40 years, after some poor experiences with them early in my life.  That makes little sense in 2023 when talking about motorcycle tires, but it is what it is.  The Dunlop's I've ridden on (remember, that goes back to about 2005-2014) never seemed to have good traction or handling.  I know that's 180 degrees out of phase with what a lot of other riders say, but it also explains why I'm not particularly eager to ride the set I have down to the threads.

I'm on my laptop, and don't have the spec's I looked upon Cyclegear/Revzilla, but I was after the R5 or R6 GT's, and had their prices higher than that.  I found better prices on DennisKirk, and if I dropped back to R4 GTs, front and rear, they'd run me $388.  That's the current direction I'm inclined to go.  On the other hand, I went out side to find the freakin' date on the dealer installed Dunlop's due to Alan's pestering video, and of course, couldn't find it.   I don't know what the tires looked like when they went on, but they've got pretty good tread on them left, at least 3K to 5K miles (and the way I've been riding lately, probably 25,000 miles and 15 years) left on 'em.  So, I'm still thinking about it, knowing I'll almost certainly run through these Dunlops by July and be looking to pony up $500+.   $388 + Tax - $60 rebate for a new set of Road GT's - you can't beat that unless you go back in time a decade.  😏

RockyMountainATV usually has the best prices on R6GT tires at the moment.

Also the difference between the 4 and5/6 Michelins is worth the extra cash. They are also the longest lasting tires.

But any modern Sport Touring tire will outperform most riders these days.

Some steer quicker then others, and others last longer then the cheaper ones.

• Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

But any modern Sport Touring tire will outperform most riders these days.

Some steer quicker then others, and others last longer then the cheaper ones.

Big +1..............:lurk:

9 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Alan's pestering video

So just to show that I'm open to try new stuff, (and risking blasphemy in straying from Pirelli's with my Italian m/c), I've been wanting to try Avons for a while now. Ordered up a set of Storm 3D X-M for my Multistrada @$330 shipped!! (Motosport.com)

These tires have great feel, with smooth quick handling and excellent stability at all lean angles. Made in England too. Will be interesting to see wear but reviews say on par with competitors. I'm not that concerned re: mileage, as grip and handling are my priorities. I'll update @S.T.A.R.T . with how they're doing.

Of course YMMV.

P.S. about old tires-

My 2018 CB500X has the original Thai Dunlop tires on it (2017 date codes) and they have been taking a beating with no grip issues since I got the bike last year.......

Edited by 9Mary7
added text
  • Like 3

I'm too cheap to buy "current" Michelins, unless I can get the set for sub-$300.  Going through two sets of tires a year for two bikes kinda sucks, so, I look for the sales on years old models that are still produces

• Like 1

I see that several places currently have 19% off on my favorites, Metzeler Roadtec O1.  

I liked the Metzeler Z6 (except for no center TWI) and the Michelin PR3, but I was never happy with the PR4s, which felt very stiff in the corners and I always feared they might break loose without warning. Both front Michelins cupped pretty badly before being replaced at about 7K miles.  The PR4s made me reluctant to try the PR5.

The Roadtec O1 has been good for about 8-9K on the roads I ride. They have very good feel in the corners with excellent traction wet or dry and there has been no cupping in front. 

I've had one set of Metzeler's, and loved them more than any other.   However, by 4K miles, they were pretty bare, and I needed more out of a tire like that when I was commuting 2000+ miles a month on 'em.  Whatever version of the Pilot's I had, were the best for combined wear and handling, though there's no magic in tires.   In my (more limited) experience, you either get durability or you get handling, but one or the other will fade over the life of the tire.   The last 25% of the PR tire life, it was slab only, i.e. they sucked while cornering.  Tread design means a lot to handling, but soft versus hard rubber (and the conditions you ride in), mean more. 

I was riding in some pretty warm temps most of the time going "something over" 70 MPH most of the time in SoCal.  My cooler Northwest experience might be better with the Metzelers (and of course, what generation of tire am I speaking of?).

I like Bernie's suggestion on RockyMountainATV - they are the best prices on Road 6 GT's I've seen.   I've also heard enough negatives on the Road 4's (PR 4 GT's) that I think for $100 price difference (i.e. 20% savings?), I'll avoid those, too.

Thanks all.  (If I ever mount these new thingys, I'll post and let ya all know the "celebration date".  Don't hold yer breath. 😏)

• Like 2

I am shocked by the price of tires these days. Snagged a close-out PR4 GT front tire for way below Cycle Gear pricing. OEM good enough for me if the price is (somewhat) right.

Michael

• Like 1

My preferred tire is the Dunlop Roadsmart 4, but they only have a rebate if you have their Pro-Dealers sell and install them. I think most Cycle Gear stores are Pro-Dealers. I like the handling and I get almost as many miles as a set of Michelin Road5GT tires. The 6’ers will be a new experience. 

3 hours ago, lkraus said:

I see that several places currently have 19% off on my favorites, Metzeler Roadtec O1.  

I liked the Metzeler Z6 (except for no center TWI) and the Michelin PR3, but I was never happy with the PR4s, which felt very stiff in the corners and I always feared they might break loose without warning. Both front Michelins cupped pretty badly before being replaced at about 7K miles.  The PR4s made me reluctant to try the PR5.

The Roadtec O1 has been good for about 8-9K on the roads I ride. They have very good feel in the corners with excellent traction wet or dry and there has been no cupping in front. 

I was always an Metzler fan except for good tire to cords within 100 miles.  Bought the Roadtec 01 as soon as Metzler released them. The back tire, made in Germany was fine but the front, made in China was junk.  Noisy, vibration and started cupping at 1500 miles. Sounds like they fixed the issue but I'm not purchasing at tire made in China for my motorcycle or car. 

Definitely agree with @9Mary7about the handling characteristics being most important.  That said, not a ton of opportunities in my area where that matters.  As such, I have 2 sets of wheels for both bikes and a tire machine to facilitate having fresh tires available for riding in the mountains. Just put a set of Michelin PR4s on the K bike not my favorite but for the money and local riding conditions they are adequate. The second set of wheels have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s a much better choice for the twisties.  

• Like 1
Dirtmerchant

Facing this same delima now for my '18 RT. I have a 2,500 mile trip planned for early May and I don't think my R 5GT's will make it back without ending up in the cords.  Got a quote from my dealer for 4GT @ $495 and 6GT @ $615, this is inclusive of mounting and sales tax, net after the $60 rebate. I'm leaning towards putting the the 6GT  

8 minutes ago, Dirtmerchant said:

Facing this same delima now for my '18 RT. I have a 2,500 mile trip planned for early May and I don't think my R 5GT's will make it back without ending up in the cords.  Got a quote from my dealer for 4GT @ $495 and 6GT @ $615, this is inclusive of mounting and sales tax, net after the $60 rebate. I'm leaning towards putting the the 6GT  

On Bernie's advice, I just a set of Road 6 GT's from rockymountainATV for $500, including tax and shipping.  However, I'll have to mount those myself (worked out ok, last time, and I still have the tools and balancer, but I'm a bit older now, so who knows).   Mounting, plus dealer loyalty might make the extra $115 worth the price.  

Dirtmerchant

@Scott9999  Yeah, I pick my battles, it's not worth the brain damage for me to do it myself, even though I have the tools and could do it if I had to... 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

I have 2 sets of wheels for both bikes and a tire machine to facilitate having fresh tires available for riding in the mountains

Same here....... and the Ducati came with spare Marchesini's:yes:

• Like 1
On 3/8/2023 at 5:08 PM, Randyjaco said:

I discovered one thing with my R6's over the R5's. It may not be important to some, it makes a big difference to me. I am not a fan of the super slabs, but the freeways around Houston have a lot of scarified concrete to improve traction in the rain. That scarification drives me nuts when the roads are dry. The tires seem to feel squishy. I feel like I have less control. The bike feels like it is not tracking properly. After a couple of thousand miles on my new R6's, I realized that that slushiness was gone. So, I am a big fan of the R6's now.:18:

Agree on the R6's. Loved the 5's but they seemed, to use your term, "squishy".   The 6's are solid and I'm going for another set as  they are on their last legs at 12,000 miles.

On 3/9/2023 at 12:02 PM, Bernie said:

My preferred tire is the Dunlop Roadsmart 4, but they only have a rebate if you have their Pro-Dealers sell and install them. I think most Cycle Gear stores are Pro-Dealers. I like the handling and I get almost as many miles as a set of Michelin Road5GT tires. The 6’ers will be a new experience. 

I am a Roadsmart 4 fan as well. Just picked up a fresh set last week for $393 delivered to my door.  No rebate.  I mount and balance myself.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rockosmith said:

I am a Roadsmart 4 fan as well. Just picked up a fresh set last week for $393 delivered to my door.  No rebate.  I mount and balance myself.

So, with the rebate, my R6's cost me $49 more for current generation tires, over the R4 earlier generation tires.  It feels like a better deal, until realize that I'm paying something close to what a set of four All Season tires cost for my car, which will last maybe 60K miles.  Yeah, that's an apples to banana's comparison, but don't try to tell my wife that. 🙄😖  (And I'm not sure if the apples go on the bike, or the banana's, or vice-versa - maybe the analogy doesn't work - par for the course. 🤣)

But anyhow, Rocko, I'm feeling ya.  Not a bad decision.  For me, and maybe a lot of us, you could put me on two RT's, one with the R4's and the other with the R6's, and I wouldn't know the difference.  I'd probably be asking about the tank bag or somethin'.  😏

After 6 different brands of GT tires, I'm now running the standard Michelin's.  I like the quietness and longevity of the Michelin's and, to me, the performance of the standard tire is much better than the GT version.

• Like 3

I think I'm going to become a regular customer of RockyMountainATV.   I ordered the tires on Thursday morning, March 9th.   I got a phone call back from them, I believe it was Friday morning (could have been Thursday afternoon, but I think it was Friday).  I looked up shipping status, and the item already arrived in nearby Spokane, "out for delivery".  

Two day shipping?  On motorcycle tires?  Heck, Amazon has silently switched to 7 day delivery for it's "Prime" service.   RockyMountainATV is WAY better than Amazon, or Cyclegear. 

Even it I don't see those tires today, and it takes 'em until Monday to get them to my house, I'll still be danged impressed by their service, as well as their sales price.  Oh, oh, yeah.  And they even sent me an email with a link, just fill out name, address, the sales date, and they'll take care of the rest of the Michelin tire rebate.   That is FULL service!  

Kudos! 👍🏆🏆🏆🍻

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have a Michelin 6GT on my rear (2006 RT) with 5000 Km use.  The front is now ready for new after 15K Km.  I'm considering the 6 non GT as I never two up and only 230# with my full luggage so I think i'm on the light side of the RT weight rating.  Also considering trying Dunlop RS4 on the front.  Two questions for the brain trust here:

Is the non GT tire a good choice for the front of a lightly loaded RT or should I stick with the GT (Road GT is what is on it now)?

Any solid reason not to run a Dunlop on the front and Michelin on the rear for 10K to see if I like the dunlop?

thanks

• Like 1

The non-GT will be fine.

As for different brands at each end, as long as they are the same type (radials) there should be no problems........others may disagree because after all this is a tire thread!!

I'm currently running different brands on both the RT and GS.  In the past, I'd replace the tires as a set, but that's a bunch'a miles that would get lost out of the "lesser" worn tire.  Right now, the GS has a rear Continental and and front Dunlop.  The RT has a rear Michelin and a front pirelli.  I've got good sets of matched tires!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Rob Nowell
On 3/9/2023 at 10:03 AM, Dirtmerchant said:

well, did you make the move?

5 hours ago, Red said:

Does nobody run Dunlop roadsmarts?

I use Roadsmart 4, with about the same mileage as Michelin Road 5 GT. And I like their handling characters better. But I don’t think that was the question here?

• Like 2

It was the question and if my two brain cells hadn't of flickered I'd have noticed that Roadsmarts were mentioned more than once above.  Thank you for being gracious!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Pilot 4 tire mystery.

A couple of weeks ago we started our trip to Iowa for a long weekend. About 200 feet away the tire monitoring began flashing 24psi for the rear wheel. The weekend before it was at 42 lbs. I got our my reliable dial gauge and tested the rear tire and it said 24psi. So we took the car instead. When we returned home I filled the rear tire back up to 42psi and ordered a new Pilot 4 rear tire. Yesterday after sitting in the garage for two weeks I checked the rear tire and it had only lost a couple of pounds. The new tire is here and I'll replace it but has anyone seen anything like this, maybe a bead leak? Sad because there's only about 3000 miles on the tire I'm replacing.

1 hour ago, jeff55 said:

Pilot 4 tire mystery.

A couple of weeks ago we started our trip to Iowa for a long weekend. About 200 feet away the tire monitoring began flashing 24psi for the rear wheel. The weekend before it was at 42 lbs. I got our my reliable dial gauge and tested the rear tire and it said 24psi. So we took the car instead. When we returned home I filled the rear tire back up to 42psi and ordered a new Pilot 4 rear tire. Yesterday after sitting in the garage for two weeks I checked the rear tire and it had only lost a couple of pounds. The new tire is here and I'll replace it but has anyone seen anything like this, maybe a bead leak? Sad because there's only about 3000 miles on the tire I'm replacing.

Afternoon jeff55

Difficult to say without sticking it in a trough of water. 

First place I would look is for is something in the tire (ground off nail or something), sometimes those can leak while riding as the tire flexes but not leak sitting still.

Also check for the filler valve stem to be leaking (I have seen more than a few of those) 

If nothing found in the above then remove the wheel & stick it is some water (might add more air pressure to increase the chances of seeing  the leak).

Cold also be a rim leak so do look there.

I have also seen a couple of porosity leaks in the alloy wheels themself, sometimes that only happens in the very cold or when they heat up but not at room temperature (not common but don't overlook it)    

Thanks DR, I was thinking the air loss when riding when the tire heats up or possibly valve stem leak. I'm the original owner of the 2014 wet head as well as a 1973 1/2 (long frame) R75/5. So I'm ancient. I'll get the T50 torx screw and remove the tire and go from there.

Thanks again,

Jeff

18 hours ago, jeff55 said:

Pilot 4 tire mystery.

I had some air loss issues and could not figure it out. 

I checked my valve stems and they were a bit sticky.  I put a drop of dry lubricant on them pushed them in and out, aired them up and they have been pretty good since.  I loose air over some time but only a lb or two.  This was more and unusual.  Next tire change I will get new valves or valve stems.

• 4 months later...

So, I have Metzler Roadtec Z8s on the bike now. I have replaced the rear twice due to punctures (no way to predict that) and I put a new front on in 2021. I have not ridden the bike a lot in the past few years. The front tire might have 2,500 miles on it. My problem is that the tire started cupping early in its life. I always keep correct pressure in it. I experienced this same problem with Michelin Pilot Rds on a FJR that I had. Looking for some advice to help keep the cupping under control and what tire is best for this type of problem.

On 11/21/2023 at 1:05 PM, Ticket2Ride said:

36.3 psi

Sounds close enough to the 37 recommended. I never had Z8s cup on my RT when running at proper pressure, although my buddy's FJR would destroy front tires on a regular basis.