IGNORED

new oil level sensor question

Jharpphoto

Unfortunately for me, some vermin got into my bike and chewed through various wire insulations. One of the victims was the oil level sensor.  This was replaced by my local shop.  Previously when I cycle through the info menu's on my 2013 RT, when landing on the  oil level a "check" would indicate the oil level is OK. After the oil level sensor installation this "check" does not appear. Only a series of ---- lines is visible.  I know the oil level is sufficient via the sight glass. What might be causing the "check" to not appear when cycling through the info window?  Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

Unfortunately for me, some vermin got into my bike and chewed through various wire insulations. One of the victims was the oil level sensor.  This was replaced by my local shop.  Previously when I cycle through the info menu's on my 2013 RT, when landing on the  oil level a "check" would indicate the oil level is OK. After the oil level sensor installation this "check" does not appear. Only a series of ---- lines is visible.  I know the oil level is sufficient via the sight glass. What might be causing the "check" to not appear when cycling through the info window?  Any ideas?

Morning Jharpphoto

What motorcycle year/model  are you working with? 

The level sensor might have an issue__ or the perimeters have not been met (warm engine, idling, upright, etc) have not been met or are not present for it to start reading. 

Hi @dirtrider my 2013 RT previously would get a "check" after riding for 15 min or so. That is why I'm a little perplexed since I'm not seeing that level check at stops on my commute where I would typically see a satisfactory reading.

Mine is a different bike but hopefully this we’ll help DR. On my 2014RT if it is slightly below full on the site glass, the oil level screen will show dashes. It sort of looks like they are trying to show how low based on number of dashes. Mine will only show OK if at very top of site glass. Mine doesn’t burn oil. I learned this during oil changes and not completely topping it off 

@Skywagon thanks for that insight.  One thing I didn't mention previously is that the oil (filled by BMW shop) is completely full in the sight glass, as is there is NO line of oil at the top of the glass. Very full. Perhaps that is contributing to what I am experiencing?  If the oil is too ful will that affect the status of the oil level? @dirtrider

3 hours ago, Jharpphoto said:

Hi @dirtrider my 2013 RT previously would get a "check" after riding for 15 min or so. That is why I'm a little perplexed since I'm not seeing that level check at stops on my commute where I would typically see a satisfactory reading.

Afternoon Jharpphoto

No way to know for sure over the internet. It could be that you just haven't met the required conditions to test, or it could mean that it isn't wired or working correctly. If after riding a few days & you are sure that it meets the below requirements then you should probably take it back to  the shop that did the work to have it checked out. 

The oil-level indicator gives
you an indication of the engine oil level.

The conditions for the oil level
indicator are as follows:

Engine at  (up to) operating temperature.
+ Engine idling for at least ten seconds.

Side stand retracted.

Motorcycle is vertical.

The readings mean:

OK            =   Oil level correct.

CHECK!   =  Check oil level during next refueling stop.

– – –       =  No measurement possible (above-mentioned conditions not met).

Yes it can take forever for it to go from ---- to OK.  My 2016 even after a long ride stopping at a stoplight near my house it will sometimes just stay on the ----. Not sure what criteria is not being met likely the vertical???