IGNORED

R1150RT turn key on and nothing happens

Bo44

Hello,

I’m seeking input… I turn on my key and nothing happens. Battery is brand new with a good charge. I tried jumping it to be sure, and still nothing turns on.

I started my bike earlier today, and all worked fine. I then tried to start a couple of hours later, and nothing. The key was not left on.

Is it likely to be the ignition switch, or how about the starter relay? What is the best way to test each of them?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks much, Bo

On 3/6/2023 at 6:20 PM, Bo44 said:

Hello,

I’m seeking input… I turn on my key and nothing happens. Battery is brand new with a good charge. I tried jumping it to be sure, and still nothing turns on.

I started my bike earlier today, and all worked fine. I then tried to start a couple of hours later, and nothing. The key was not left on.

Is it likely to be the ignition switch, or how about the starter relay? What is the best way to test each of them?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks much, Bo

Morning  Bo44

We need to know exactly what isn't working? (everything that isn't working) or at least what IS working? 

If everything is not working then make sure the kill switch is turned on. 

I presume when you say nothing is working that you have no lights, no lit dash, no RID working, etc?

With a brand new battery make sure the battery cables are tight. There is also a separate smaller wire running to the battery's (+) post, make sure that is still connected (not loose or broken)  as that is what feeds most motorcycle electric's. 

Does your hazard flashers work? If yes/or/no this can tell us something?

You could have a failed ignition switch or even a broken wire in the harness between the handlebars & the motorcycle frame  (usually near one of the retaining zip ties). With key-on try turning the handlebars back & forth to see if anything comes on. Or (with key-on)  try grabbing the wire harness between the handlebars & the motorcycle frame then moving/wiggling those to see if power comes on. 

Do you have a 12v test light or small voltmeter? If so we can talk you through some voltage tests.

Why did you replace the battery????????? Was there an electrical  problem before battery replacement, or did the (no power) problem show up after battery replacement?  

On 3/7/2023 at 3:30 AM, dirtrider said:

or even a broken wire in the harness between the handlebars & the motorcycle frame  (usually near one of the retaining zip ties). With key-on try turning the handlebars back & forth to see if anything comes on. Or (with key-on)  try grabbing the wire harness between the handlebars & the motorcycle frame then moving/wiggling those to see if power comes on. 

^^^^^^^ this

My 2003 RT developed a similar issue & it turned out to be the main hot wire (thickest & red) going to the ignition switch developed an intermittent open.

The fix was to disassemble the ign switch & re-soldering (if I remember correctly) this wire to the switch.   

1 hour ago, Bo44 said:

Turned out it was the battery. All fixed. 

Your opening post said you had a new battery installed. So what happened and what did you do to fix the battery? Curious minds what to know please. 

Miguel