IGNORED

Top Box Connector

Dingo55

Hi all 

Any recommendations for a inline connector to facilitate the quick removal of the top box on 2015 r1200rt ie not needing to remove the rear seat 

Maybe something slimmer than the under the seat oem type

How many wires are we dealing with ?

Mine has the brake light option

Anybody felt the need to put a carry handle on their top box

If so what did you use?

Cheers

Mark  

1 hour ago, Dingo55 said:

Hi all 

Any recommendations for a inline connector to facilitate the quick removal of the top box on 2015 r1200rt ie not needing to remove the rear seat 

Maybe something slimmer than the under the seat oem type

How many wires are we dealing with ?

Mine has the brake light option 

Anybody felt the need to put a carry handle on their top box

If so what did you use?

Cheers

Mark  

Mark, There are six wires in the connector for my top box. No brake light but I suspect the connector is wired for it. Pic is of a connector I have in my toolbox with 6 wires. The top box already has a carrying handle little confused what you are looking for?  

B549B7F6-251D-45A2-A822-1DFE155A64E1.thumb.jpeg.2ee28b5840580fd756aaf378f9ff7007.jpeg

12 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Mark, There are six wires in the connector for my top box. No brake light but I suspect the connector is wired for it. Pic is of a connector I have in my toolbox with 6 wires. The top box already has a carrying handle little confused what you are looking for?  

Morning Mike, Mark

That picture is of a 6 terminal (sealed)  Weather Pack connector. Those were heavily used in the auto industry years ago. You can find the Weather Pack connectors (6 terminal) including terminals at a number of auto parts stores, or on-line, like Amazon or E-Bay (Last I looked about $13.00 on Amazon. 

Those Weather Pack connectors are well sealed (but large for what they are), they work good &  carry amperage well. The 2 big downsides to me personally are,  the size, (not a big deal if size doesn't matter), & the disconnection trigger. The square edged little lock arm & the very sharp locking tit under it can take meat out of a finger or thumb if the connector is used for frequent disconnects.  A glove will prevent the hurt or very carful use of the disconnect arm but it is something to keep in mind. 

The Weather Pack  terminals (sealed or unsealed) do require a proper (re special) terminal crimp tool (not cheap) that folds the terminal ears in on the wire. If an incorrect crimping tool is used then the wire can eventually pull out of the terminals. They can be made to work with an incorrect crimping (cheap tool) if the terminal to wire interface is properly soldered. 

Personally I have pretty well switched over to using the sealed Deutsch DT 6 Pin for low amp usages like lighting or accessories as it is more compact.  

• Plus 1 1

Thanks DR

The plug you mention is that a simple connect electrical wise ie special tools required ?

There is no top box handle ? Correct?

Cheers

Mark

4 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Thanks DR

The plug you mention is that a simple connect electrical wise ie special tools required ?

Deutsch connectors are great.  You can buy a kit on Amazon with several sizes and a bunch of male and female pins.  You will need a terminal crimping tool.  If you need to disassemble a connector, you will also need the correct size of pin remover.  Again, a set of pin removers is cheap on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VK35Q2D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V1C6N2V

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085W4PZLX

On 3/6/2023 at 5:43 AM, wbw6cos said:

On the 49 L topcase?  Side cases do.  

Pictures?

Not on the new one.  I was thinking of the older 49L case....

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Dingo55 said:

Thanks DR

Afternoon Mark 

As far as easy or simple to connect? That depends, if a person is used to working with wire terminals & has the correct crimping tool then yes very easy to work with.

Not very complicated & it CAN be done without a proper crimp tool  (I didn't have a proper crimping tool at home when I started using the sealed Deutsch connectors but I do have a large assortment of various crimping pliers so I found something I had that would work).  You just need a crimping tool that puts the indentation crimp in the terminal (shown in one of Cap's pictures). You can't use (don't want to use) a cheap common  crimping tool that simply crushes the terminal on the wire).