IGNORED

2000 BMW R1100R

FattyMcpherson

FattyMcpherson

Hey all been dealing with a peculiar issue that has got me baffled and was hoping someone could lead me to the right thing. Bike is a 2000 Bmw R1100R and the issue im having is I am the second owner of the bike and it has 99,649 miles on her. When bike is running at idle it can rev to the moon and back just fine but under a load she pops out the exhaust like a really bad misfire and from 3000 rpm on no matter how much I twist on the throttle it just has no power and its acting like its starving on fuel. I had an issue with left bank dropping in and out and wouldnt run worth a darn so I replaced the ignition coil as it would fail when heated up so the bike now bangs on both cylinders with no issue but sometimes it seems to struggle to stay at idle when coming to a stop it will cutoff and I have to restart it then it will idle normal at about 900rpm-1000rpm. I have exstensive repair maintenance form previous owner and the fuel pump and hoses were replaced 28,000 miles ago I've changed fuel filter had fuel injectors cleaned and it stall has no power or get up and go. This is my first BMW and I absolutely love it but im banging my head against the wall trying to figure out whats going on. I really want to feel how this bike feels but right now i cant even get it up to highway speeds and if I come up a hill it just bogs out so bad and rpms drop consistantly even at WOT. To me it sounds like almost a plugged catalytic converter when trying to twist the throttle the intake is making tremendous noise but not moving anywhere. The issue is only when its under a load when in neutral it revs beautifully. Any suggestions on where I should look next would be much appreciated.

I'm sure DirtRider will add his input to this.  My first reaction to your description is, check all the internal fuel hoses and connections again. Especially check the U hose between the pump and filter. Or, since your all the way in there, just buy a new U hose and replace it.  Then, check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) for closed throttle voltage setting.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:38 AM, FattyMcpherson said:

Hey all been dealing with a peculiar issue that has got me baffled and was hoping someone could lead me to the right thing. Bike is a 2000 Bmw R1100R and the issue im having is I am the second owner of the bike and it has 99,649 miles on her. When bike is running at idle it can rev to the moon and back just fine but under a load she pops out the exhaust like a really bad misfire and from 3000 rpm on no matter how much I twist on the throttle it just has no power and its acting like its starving on fuel. I had an issue with left bank dropping in and out and wouldnt run worth a darn so I replaced the ignition coil as it would fail when heated up so the bike now bangs on both cylinders with no issue but sometimes it seems to struggle to stay at idle when coming to a stop it will cutoff and I have to restart it then it will idle normal at about 900rpm-1000rpm. I have exstensive repair maintenance form previous owner and the fuel pump and hoses were replaced 28,000 miles ago I've changed fuel filter had fuel injectors cleaned and it stall has no power or get up and go. This is my first BMW and I absolutely love it but im banging my head against the wall trying to figure out whats going on. I really want to feel how this bike feels but right now i cant even get it up to highway speeds and if I come up a hill it just bogs out so bad and rpms drop consistantly even at WOT. To me it sounds like almost a plugged catalytic converter when trying to twist the throttle the intake is making tremendous noise but not moving anywhere. The issue is only when its under a load when in neutral it revs beautifully. Any suggestions on where I should look next would be much appreciated.

Morning  FattyMcpherson

You might start with new spark plugs, a partially fouled spark plug  can cause that popping under load but sort of idle OK at no load.   

Then probably check the secondary wire resistance (from one spark plug cap all the way through the coil secondary to the other side spark plug cap. You should see about 17K ohms to around 22K ohms from one side plug cap all the way through to the other side plug cap. 

Also, you should probably do a good cranking compression test. A leaking valve can bring on that popping. 

Next, run a fuel return hose fuel flow test, on the fuel return hose coming from the rear. (this will tell you if you have enough fuel flow at enough pressure to run it under load at higher RPM's. (you want to see about a pencil size stream of fuel coming out of that hose with the fuel pump running).

What is your tachometer doing when the mis-firing & popping is happening?  

• Like 1
FattyMcpherson

Found my Culprit u shape line in tank has a split about 1/2 in long and tank looked nasty so I ordered all new fuel pump kit with hoses and injectors and spent the weekend thrashing some ball bearings and flushing out the tank. Valve lash is set proper and compression test is good only a 2 psi difference between heads. Plugs show lean so throwing those in as well. Thanks for responding this site has helped me trouble shoot a lot to get it where its actually alive again. Only issue I am having is finding the thick o rings for the brake calipers front side. Leaking in-between and replaced with new o rings but weren't thick enough>

• Like 3