IGNORED

Did you see THIS??? '16 RS w/ Sidecar.......gorgeous!

Rob Nowell

2 hours ago, DakarTimm said:

I have the exact same bike . My money says the conversion cost waaay more than the bike ever did .

...no doubt!  My over/under is $30k on the winning bid:  whatcha takin?

I was rolling my eyes and getting ready to laugh out loud as I clicked the link...

...that thing *is* gorgeous!!! Not my thing currently unless I come into knockin' around money.

I'll take the under.

• Like 1
szurszewski

this

image.png.32bf19eebc021f9c90464d8573cc2ed8.png

and that 

image.png.9c8a09477ce3e3eba978ef2e3b91590e.png

are TOTALLY different kinds of fun. Some dogs would have a strong preference for either over the other. 

• Like 1
szurszewski
5 hours ago, DakarTimm said:

My money says the conversion cost waaay more than the bike ever did .

I'd be not at all surprised to find that the parts for the front end cost more than the bike. Add in the custom wheels, subframe, and then the, I'm sure, modestly priced sidecar itself, you're probably closing in on $50k with labor. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

I'd be not at all surprised to find that the parts for the front end cost more than the bike. Add in the custom wheels, subframe, and then the, I'm sure, modestly priced sidecar itself, you're probably closing in on $50k with labor. 

yeah, that thing appears pretty techno-genius...  Joe's Garage probably won't be the  shop-of-choice?

11 hours ago, szurszewski said:

and that 

image.png.9c8a09477ce3e3eba978ef2e3b91590e.png

Morning  szurszewski

Personally I like the "that" better as it is more traditional & definitely more useful (at least to me). 

With a current bid of  $8,500  & last service in 2021 it seems like the "this"  isn't flying off the shelf. 

19 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

...no doubt!  My over/under is $30k on the winning bid:  whatcha takin?

That was going to be my guess also. But, considering it’s Bring a bank account, I’ll say it’ll get close to $40,000.

Wish they would do an on road demo, on curvy roads.

• Like 1

Even the gas tank has been replaced/modified.  Stock its 4.8 gallons but the auction listing says 6.3 gallon tank plus an auxiliary tank in the sidecar with an additional 5.3 gallons.  Talk about a long distance machine.  There's not much stock RS left in this thing other than the motor and look.

1 hour ago, BrianT said:

Even the gas tank has been replaced/modified.  Stock its 4.8 gallons but the auction listing says 6.3 gallon tank plus an auxiliary tank in the sidecar with an additional 5.3 gallons.  Talk about a long distance machine.  There's not much stock RS left in this thing other than the motor and look.

Having toured with a Vetter Terrqplane rig many years ago,  a Sidecar will drop your gas mileage 30-40% compared to the same solo machine.

szurszewski
39 minutes ago, SDCRJohn said:

Having toured with a Vetter Terrqplane rig many years ago,  a Sidecar will drop your gas mileage 30-40% compared to the same solo machine.

Even more so if you're cruising at the low triple digit speeds this rig was built for. (Not too many places you can do that here in the US, but maybe you could burn through the tanks in a quick run across Nevada). 

• Like 1
szurszewski
6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  szurszewski

Personally I like the "that" better as it is more traditional & definitely more useful (at least to me). 

With a current bid of  $8,500  & last service in 2021 it seems like the "this"  isn't flying off the shelf. 

If I had to pick one or the other, having some Ural miles in my past and just a taste of an HP rig like that, the Ural is surely the more practical and can go a lot of places the HP rig can't (or at least shouldn't try to)...but if I wanted to be a thousand miles away from here tomorrow I think the RS would make a much more pleasant trip of it. 

BAT tends to do that in the few auctions I've watched - I'm confident it will go well over the current bid when it gets down to the last day or two. 

The last auction I watched was a pretty plan R1200C (only watching as I just, sort of impulsively, bought one myself) - it sat at just about the opening bid of $2k until the last 24 hours. Still didn't get too high - maybe just over $5k - but almost all of that was right at the end. 

Turning a bike that has the ergonomics, suspension, and power for fast cornering into a side car rig makes absolutely no sense to me.  Sure it looks great and probably is fun to ride.  Just saying there's probably better choices.

26 minutes ago, Red said:

Turning a bike that has the ergonomics, suspension, and power for fast cornering into a side car rig makes absolutely no sense to me.  Sure it looks great and probably is fun to ride.  Just saying there's probably better choices.

I've heard of RTs being used for Trikes & Sidecar rigs, but the RS surprised me.  It is just sooooooooooooo cool looking.

szurszewski
2 hours ago, Red said:

I get what you're saying, but maybe you can appreciate that they took that RS and turned into a rig that still has great ergonomics, probably better suspension and still is more than capable of fast cornering - though admittedly the power to weight ratio has suffered some. I see that it has an extended swingarm/driveshaft; I wonder if they messed with the FD ratio. 

I don't know if you've ever piloted anything like this, but they are quite a hoot. So is, I think, a regular sidecar, but the experience on one of these is about as different from that as a solo bike is from a sidecar to begin with. 

• Plus 1 1

To get my wife to ride with me would take a third wheel.  I have the RT, she's thinking Spyder.  Spyders have no "Cool Factor."  I wouldn't be entering races...

4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

As far as cornering prowess, that rig corners well to the left. Right handers can get a little exciting.

4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

As far as cornering prowess, that rig corners well to the left. Right handers can get a little exciting.

Evening  Hosstage

I doubt that it corners all that great even to the left unless it is going slow enough to steer it like an automobile as those flat profile auto tires probably get pretty twitchy once you lift the hack in an aggrieve L/H corner then lean it onto the outboard edges of those  wide flat profile tires. 

That hack isn't lifting on left hand turns, it's pushing down to the tarmac and holding the bike flat on its tires. Right hand corners will lift the hack and make it sketchy if speed isn't checked. I've seen people put ballast in the hack to help keep it planted, but that adds weight that affects acceleration and braking.

That RS is quite an exercise in customizing and engineering. Looks pretty cool. (I lean toward the Ural, though.)

szurszewski

Yes - left handers with a right side chair are pretty stable (unless you try to do a lot of braking - that can bring the pusher wheel up and even over) but it can be a lot of work to hold the line if you’re adding power (because that biases the rig toward the chair). The center hub steering should help quite a lot with that. 

Right hand turns, I think, are the most fun on any rig as long as you remember to come in a little slow - then you can add throttle to help pull the rig right and keep adding until the chair gets light. Again, the geometry on that rig should keep all the rubber planted well beyond what you could expect in a Ural or other light, traditional hack. 

• Like 1
szurszewski

Price is climbing slowly - up to $13k right now but still a few days left. A lot of jibber jabber from some of the usual suspects in the ADV "hacks" subforum - even a bid from at least one of them. 

I was watching a bike today.  I owned one of these in 1972.  It was a 1971 model left over.  Bought new for a hair over $400 if I remember correctly.  I really was interested in this bike, but it went BATsheet crazy on the price of $8400.  The bike at the top of this note that Rob started is over $18k now.

IMG_4234.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

It sold for $30,000

I guess I just had a lucky guess.  I can assure you, it wasn't ME who bought it!

• Like 1