IGNORED

One side engine block got pushed back

bubbacop

Hi about two years ago the bottom left side of my engine of my 05 RT hit a concrete block while riding causing the left side engine block to shift back about .5mm .

It started developing an oil leak from the engine seam which I was able to repair by using jb weld.

I’ve only put around 200mi since the incident without any issues or funny sounds coming from the motor. My question is by shifting the one side of the engine block back by half a millimeter would it cause the internal parts to be misaligned?

Thank you in advance

sergio

Are you saying the seam is physically moved/separated, all the way around? If the engine halves are now mis-aligned, I don't see how the crank can possibly run true.

But, if you can ride it without abnormal vibration, especially at redline, it might be ok. I still don't see how, though.

Any pictures?

The push back was so slight that it was barely visible but you can feel it with your finger nail. I didn’t take any pics before putting jb weld and I haven’t noticed anything different as far as vibration goes.

Thank you for your reply.

At this point I would just ride it as normal and keep an eye on it. Nothing to lose. If vibrations seem to start increasing, or it starts to leak, it may need to be looked at, but until then, enjoy!

DR or others will likely weigh in with tech specs and better advice....but here is what would be in the back of my mind.  Even that small amount is going to change the angle/tracking of the driveshaft and it's effects on the input shaft and the final drive.  I'm not smart enough to know if the u-joints can accommodate this without having an effect over time.  I would probably see if there is a way I could get it back in line....but I'm anal as all heck.

I agree with Skywagon's post, alignment of the drivetrain should be checked, look at the mounts, etc. I was more focused on the motor itself. 

2 hours ago, bubbacop said:

Hi about two years ago the bottom left side of my engine of my 05 RT hit a concrete block while riding causing the left side engine block to shift back about .5mm .

It started developing an oil leak from the engine seam which I was able to repair by using jb weld.

I’ve only put around 200mi since the incident without any issues or funny sounds coming from the motor. My question is by shifting the one side of the engine block back by half a millimeter would it cause the internal parts to be misaligned?

Thank you in advance

sergio

Afternoon  sergio

Sure .5mm could cause internal engine misalignment. It depends on if the "entire" case half slid back, or it just bent the front corner back that .5mm. 

The case half's are aligned with alignment pins so it would be difficult to slide the entire case half back. Plus, you would think that if the entire case half moved back then you would have more oil leaks at different places all the way around the case seam.

If it did in fact slide the entire case half back then the rear main bearing thrust surfaces will no longer be lined up properly.

The side that moved would also have moved that side cylinder back the same .5mm. There is some tolerance in the connecting rod upper end to piston so that could allow the rod to run true without undue side force but that is just a guess not a fact.   

As mentioned above you might as well just run it, if it lives a long life then that was the correct decision. If it doesn't live a long life then you would need a new or good- used engine case or complete engine either way so no big loss other than the work involved. 

Thanks dirtrider, so I just got from under the bike and was not able to take pics, but I did confirm that the engine block seam in the back of the motor is moved.

thanks for all your help.

25 minutes ago, bubbacop said:

Thanks dirtrider, so I just got from under the bike and was not able to take pics, but I did confirm that the engine block seam in the back of the motor is moved.

thanks for all your help.

Evening sergio

Well, if the entire side is moved .5mm  to the rear then your rear main bearing (actually all the main bearings) are also misaligned by the same amount. The rear bearing thrust surfaces not  lining up is the important one to worry about. 

Not much you can do about it without an engine teardown. 

Probably just run with it for a while to see what happens, you might want to cut the oil filter open at each oil change then spread the filter media out to see what it is catching engine wear wise. 

Or, just run it a couple of thousand miles then send a oil sample out to be analyzed. That will typically show you what is wearing inside the engine.