IGNORED

NEXX X.WRL Atika Helmet Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

NEXX X.WRL Atika Helmet Review intro

Holding the new NEXX X.WRL Atika helmet, two things struck me immediately. First was how incredibly light it felt (1,250 g/44 oz for size L). Secondly, the helmet was an obvious display of quality workmanship, exemplified by the exceptional finishing and innovative details. These features include the ingenious X-Hidro straps on both cheek pads for holding the hydration bladder’s hose and valve/mouthpiece, the double D-ring buckle’s X-Lock magnetic button, and the Emergency Strap System V2 allowing the cheek pads’ easy removal by first responders.

Creating a rally helmet (X.WRL is short for Wild Rally) takes the design challenge to another level, given rally raid racing’s extremely demanding nature. When you are racing across unforgiving terrain for days on end, less weight means less strain on the rider’s neck muscles. NEXX’s newly developed X-Pro Carbon technology using 3K carbon fabrics achieved a 10% weight reduction while increasing strength and stiffness compared to conventional carbon shells. During a month-long exploration of the TransEuroTrail.org network across France and Spain, my neck has come to greatly appreciate this ultra-lightweight helmet. Compared to other helmets, the reduction in neck muscle fatigue at the end of a long hard day in the saddle was remarkable.

Nexx Atika Helmet 1

The X.WRL also performed exceptionally well in terms of ventilation (five inlets, two outlets), comfort, and fit, important criteria for long-haul adventure/dual-sport riders. When I forgot to close the vents while crossing a pass in the Pyrenees, I experienced how the cold mountain air flowed amply through the brow vents onto my forehead. A combination of three shell sizes and four EPS liner size options ensures an excellent fit and comfort for sizes XXS-S/M-L/XL-XXXL. In line with its racing heritage, the shell’s rim contour is designed to accommodate a neck brace. 

The fast-drying X.MART Dry fabric lining, including the neck roll and chin strap sleeve, is removable for washing, with recesses prepared for installing a universal intercom system. Also included are an adjustable peak extender and removable action camera support. Like any other MX/ADV/dual-sport helmet, noise levels are higher due to the multiple air vents. You should wear ear plugs to protect your hearing.

With a panoramic eye-port specifically designed for goggles (with an innovative Integrated Goggle Strap Holder on the back of the helmet), the X.WRL comes also with two no-tools-required, easily mounted polycarbonate Lexan visors included (a clear and an Iridium Red visor with a recessed cavity for Pinlock insert), whereas other similar MX helmets are for goggles-only use.

If you’re looking for an ultra-lightweight, extremely comfortable, top-quality, all-in-one MX/ADV/dual-sport helmet for visor and goggles use, consider your quest over, as the NEXX X.WRL ticks all the boxes you could possibly think of, coming in at least 500g/17 oz lighter than typical competitors’ helmets.

Nexx Atika Helmet 2

NEXXNorthAmerica.com

MSRP: $689.95

PROS:

• Ultra-lightweight
  • Perfect fit and comfort
  • High-flow ventilation
  • Goggles and visor compatible (two visors included!)
  • Multiple innovative features
  • Top-quality
  • Five color schemes available
  • Dual certification: DOT FMVSS 218 and ECE/22-05

CONS:

• The tiny peak extender screws tend to sometimes loosen up
  • The cheek pads occasionally detach partly when removing the helmet

View the full article