IGNORED

Android phone GPX nav app????

BerettaRacer

BerettaRacer

Hi,

What is the "Go To" android nav app that I can import GPX files and it will give the proverbial "turn by turn" directions??

I looked at "GPX Viewer", and it will track you, and after the ride will give you graphs etc, but will NOT guide you.

Found a review of an app called "Scenic", but it is Iphone only, no android crossover.

thx

BR

I've used two with pretty good success. Both support downloading maps to your phone so you can navigate without a cell phone signal.

Osmand is very powerful but somewhat difficult to get set up. It's free.

Calimoto has a free tier that lets you download the map for one state. I typically use the web app on my PC to download the GPX file, after which it just automatically shows up in my phone. Pretty easy to use.

I've used Locus, ~OSMand, and CoPilot.  Locus is great for hiking, but it and OSMand both produce too many turn announcements for what are really just curves in the road.  CoPilot was decent, but they made some "upgrades" that reduced the ability to change routes on the fly and then went to a subscription model. If you just want directions to a single destination, it's hard to beat Google Maps, with maps saved to the phone for areas without cell service.  

I gave up on using a cell phone for navigating routes on a bike.  USB charging is unreliable and can destroy the port on the phone. Wireless charging is iffy with a case on the phone - mine always overheats and stops charging. With either method, I needed full screen brightness to see it in the sun, which meant I often had little charge left at the end of the ride. The screens may not respond well when wearing gloves.  I've been much happier using my Zumo 590 and now, my Zumo XT.

BerettaRacer
14 hours ago, lkraus said:

If you just want directions to a single destination, it's hard to beat Google Maps, with maps saved to the phone for areas without cell service.  

I gave up on using a cell phone for navigating routes on a bike.  USB charging is unreliable and can destroy the port on the phone. Wireless charging is iffy with a case on the phone - mine always overheats and stops charging. With either method, I needed full screen brightness to see it in the sun, which meant I often had little charge left at the end of the ride. The screens may not respond well when wearing gloves.  I've been much happier using my Zumo 590 and now, my Zumo XT.

This isn't for single point destination, I want to be able to import the multi waypoint GPX files typically posted for START/FART trips.

Cell vs Zumo, I've had about the opposite results as you. My old Zumo display is so washed out in the sun it's pretty much useless, and almost zero memory capacity. My phone is nice and bright, no problems charging, lots of memory storage for music on long boring stretches if wanted. Only issue I had was it won't tolerate rain.

As for the apps mentioned by others, I'll look into them over the next week or so, busy next few days.

16 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Hi,

What is the "Go To" android nav app that I can import GPX files and it will give the proverbial "turn by turn" directions??

I looked at "GPX Viewer", and it will track you, and after the ride will give you graphs etc, but will NOT guide you.

Found a review of an app called "Scenic", but it is Iphone only, no android crossover.

thx

BR

Morning  BerettaRacer

I can't help you with a decent app for Android, about all I can add is that I lead a lot of rides (sometimes split into 3 or 4 groups based on experience or riding ability) & so far NONE of the phone apps have worked as a good as a Garman GPS.

Most phone apps do seem to eventually get the rider to the destination but the riders typically do miss some scenic roads, or miss turns, & seem generally unhappy with whatever app they were trying to use. 

• 3 weeks later...

OsmAnd Maps or app works with either iPhone or Android. It will accept the routes we supply for the ART’s events. Norm Kern from MSTA group made a pdf with setup instructions. There are also several YouTube videos out there to help with using it.