IGNORED

The game is officially up for gas guzzlers as EU confirms petrol ban

MotoNews

• 1 month later...

Yeah...and Germany declared the end of nuclear and fossil fuels until they didn't. Biden said no more drilling in the Arctic until walked that back. I hold a contrarian view that we may be getting a bit over or skis on EVs and renewables in general. Call me a troglodyte but I believe many others hold similar views, although they may be reluctant to express them. The appetite for energy...cheap, reliable and plentiful, is rapacious and will not be denied.

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...
John Ranalletta
On 4/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, AshtonDavies said:

Wow, it's pretty amazing that the EU has confirmed a ban on petrol cars. It's great to see that people are taking steps to reduce their carbon footprint and help protect the environment. Speaking of making positive changes, have you ever tried playing solitaire for real money? It's a great way to pass the time and earn extra cash, all while staying environmentally friendly by playing from the comfort of your own home. I found a helpful article on joywallet.com that lists some of the best solitaire apps to play for real money. You could try it and see if you have what it takes to win big while being kind to the planet. Keep up the good work in making big and small positive changes.

Iceland must not have gotten the CO cap email.  More CO than all mankind has ever emitted?

Tourists flee popular Iceland spa after ‘earthquake swarm’ raises fears ...

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
9Mary7

Pretty simple....It is not feasible at this time.

If it was then there would be adoption by private industry and government wouldn't have to force it on society.:java:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9Mary7
2 hours ago, Castertaby said:

I understand your perspective. While the push for EVs and renewables is strong, there's still significant reliance on traditional energy sources. Balancing the transition with practical energy needs is crucial. The demand for cheap, reliable energy is undeniable, and finding sustainable solutions that meet this demand is a complex challenge. Many share your concerns, even if they're not always openly expressed.

Soooooo, Welcome to the board. What bike do you have? What kind of riding do you do? Lots of upcoming events to join in and meet some great people!!!

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
Twisties
On 4/3/2023 at 11:57 AM, Lemans said:

Yeah...and Germany declared the end of nuclear and fossil fuels until they didn't.

Germany is presently at 59% renewables and is planning to be 100% carbon neutral by 2045.

Biden said no more drilling in the Arctic until walked that back

Although domestic oil production remains at record levels, in fact we have ended drilling in ANWR.  All leases have been cancelled.  Also, the US is a net energy exporter.

The appetite for energy...cheap, reliable and plentiful, is rapacious and will not be denied.

Agreed.  Fortunately, renewables are now cheaper and are the way future investments are going.  Our supplier plans to be carbon neutral by 2030 and is already 50% there. 

I hold a contrarian view that we may be getting a bit over or skis on EVs and renewables in general.

I'm not sure your view is contrarian.  There are issues in transforming generation to carbon neutral/renewable sources.  The primary problem is the need to store and transfer large amounts of electricity across the nation to balance generation and demand.  The grid is not presently up to the task and NERC has been forthright about the problem, and the potential for issues as we transition.  We are investing in the grid, but there has been reporting to suggest current levels of investment are not enough, and significant barriers remain. 

12 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Germany is presently at 59% renewables

Only on paper and only if you look at energy generated. But there's a lot more to a stable energy supply than just counting terawatthours.

Apart from pumped-storage, there's no real way to store electric energy. And Germany's renewables are highly volatile. They currently make do by exporting excess energy to the surrounding countries and then re-importing it when they need it. Usually at quite a loss.

Plus, renewables don't even break even, they're heavily subsidized because operation costs more than what the power sells for. There's a reason Germany's power prices are among the highest in the world.

How do I know? I'm German and have worked in the power industry for more than a decade. Incidentally, the fact that they try to force policies that go against the law of physics (and thus are doomed from the start) was what made me immigrate to the States.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Twisties
7 minutes ago, Tron said:

Only on paper and only if you look at energy generated. But there's a lot more to a stable energy supply than just counting terawatthours.

Apart from pumped-storage, there's no real way to store electric energy. And Germany's renewables are highly volatile. They currently make do by exporting excess energy to the surrounding countries and then re-importing it when they need it. Usually at quite a loss.

Plus, renewables don't even break even, they're heavily subsidized because operation costs more than what the power sells for. There's a reason Germany's power prices are among the highest in the world.

How do I know? I'm German and have worked in the power industry for more than a decade. Incidentally, the fact that they try to force policies that go against the law of physics (and thus are doomed from the start) was what made me immigrate to the States.

This transferring across regions to balance generation and demand is what is planned here in the US.   Here, in the US, oil/fossil fuel has been more heavily subsidized than renewables.