IGNORED

National Cycle VStream Windscreen for the 2020 Honda CB500X

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

National Cycle VStream for CB500X intro

The VStream Sport/Touring Windscreen is a direct replacement for the Honda CB500X’s OEM windscreen. It’s intended as both a cosmetic and functional upgrade since it provides a substantial upgrade in material quality, aerodynamics, and abrasion/cracking resistance over the stock unit, and its medium tint and slightly smaller dimensions are a subtle compliment to the Honda’s upper fairing profile.

National Cycle fabricates their windscreens from thick polycarbonate and treats them with an FMR hard coating that reduces the likelihood of scratches and damage. If you break the screen, there’s a three-year replacement warranty. In addition to polycarbonate’s strength and durability, it’s also much clearer than the stock windscreen. The fit and finish also stand out —this is a quality product!

The CB500X windshield mounting bracket system has two adjustment positions for fine-tuning the windscreen height by 1.75 inches. I’m six feet tall and had the stock windscreen set to the highest position to reduce head buffeting at speed. However, this setting also reduces airflow into my helmet vents, and on warmer days, I resort to opening the visor slightly to compensate. This is less noticeable with the VStream as there is more airflow around my neck and shoulders as a result of the molded V-shaped profile. Where the OEM windscreen might have a slight edge on colder days, the VStream’s aerodynamics are superior on warm or hot days.

NationalCycle Vstream HondaCB500X 1

As a replacement or upgrade, the VStream is an excellent and affordable choice. And as a bonus, it gives the Honda a sportier appearance.

One important note, so you don’t ruin your new purchase: National Cycle advises using rain repellent coatings specifically formulated for plastic (not glass), so be sure to check compatibility before using such products.

NationalCycle.com

Dimensions:

• Factory Windscreen—17 x 12.5 inches at widest point
  • V-Stream—16.25 x 12 inches at widest point

MSRP:

$133.95

PROS:

• Less scratch resistant than OEM
  • More airflow for cooling
  • Looks nice on the CB500X

CONS:

• Slight increase in buffeting and wind noise