IGNORED

Desperate need for M97 internals Socal.

Avian

Long story short. bmw dealer communications is primitive. bike sitting on jack they took out the tranny for me to pick up and rebuild, it takes half a day to do

I just dont have the parts, bought a set on ebay seller not responding, found one local guy is out of town until april, mine is a 1997 gs1100. and I dont have more than couple days thank you!!

1 hour ago, Avian said:

Long story short. bmw dealer communications is primitive. bike sitting on jack they took out the tranny for me to pick up and rebuild, it takes half a day to do

I just dont have the parts, bought a set on ebay seller not responding, found one local guy is out of town until april, mine is a 1997 gs1100. and I dont have more than couple days thank you!!

Evening Avian

The problem with transmission internals is almost nobody strips a known good BMW M 97 transmission apart to sell the internal parts. They typically sell the transmission as a whole unit. 

You might look for a good used M 97 then either part it out & use what you need or just install the transmission as received. 

I'll take a transmission too but the input shaft has to be inspected since the bearing wears against the gear. Found the shaft new. No gear no bearing. Going to crack it open today after work and see what's damaged 

On 2/23/2023 at 11:18 AM, Avian said:

Found one from a 1995 r1100R that's an m94 should fit?

Afternoon  Avian

Yes, it should fit but a fairly high number of those M 94 transmissions had issues with jumping out of gear, or not staying engaged in gear, as the shift dog ears & the gear shifting ears were not back-cut. Personally I would wait for an M 97 to show up if you can wait.  

• Thanks 1

So opened the case. My input shaft has a wide apart spring. My transmission has a last 3rd letter as E being a m97.

The 2nd picture on ebay is from a 1999 r1100gs but the spring is closed kind. Why are they different. Mine seem to be failed bearing the shaft is lose. Haven't taken it out yet. But I hope I can get away with a bearing replacement 

20230223_125851.jpg

Screenshot_20230223_125903_eBay.jpg

On 2/23/2023 at 4:01 PM, Avian said:

So opened the case. My input shaft has a wide apart spring. My transmission has a last 3rd letter as E being a m97.

The 2nd picture on ebay is from a 1999 r1100gs but the spring is closed kind. Why are they different. Mine seem to be failed bearing the shaft is lose. Haven't taken it out yet. But I hope I can get away with a bearing replacement 

Afternoon  Avian

There were a couple of different input shaft configurations. The M 94 was different than the M-97 with the spring coil spacing different. (looks about like what your pictures show), So make sure that you are comparing M-97 to M-97 parts. Very late late  1966 used the M-97 but the earlier ones used the M-94.

Otherwise, you are probably going to have to remove your input shaft then take a close look at it, the rear bearing might be missing the snap ring, or very possibly the rear bearing to gear contact area is worn enough to allow the spring to push rearward (common). 

10 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  Avian

You are probably going to have to remove your input shaft & take a close look at it, the rear bearing might be missing the snap ring, or the possibly the bearing to gear are worn enough to allow the spring to push rearward. 

My shaft bearing destroyed possibly case destroyed too

20230223_132649.jpg

On 2/23/2023 at 4:27 PM, Avian said:

My shaft bearing destroyed possibly case destroyed too

20230223_132649.jpg

Evening  Avian

Yes, you have BIG problems with that one, personally I wouldn't mess with that one. I would most likely just install a good used transmission. 

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Avian said:

Will this fit?

Screenshot_20230223_132514_eBay.jpg

Afternoon  Avian

Yes it should, but that is an RT transmission so make sure that the gearing is the same and  it will work for you. My electric power has been cutting on & off all day & I have some darn big  trees down across my private road  so I have some immediate problems to deal with at the moment. Maybe tomorrow I can look things up for you but I'm pretty tied up until tomorrow.  

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear longer gears I don't mind hate the short gears of gs. But on adv someone said it's a 100%. Good luck man that sounds like a lot on the plate