IGNORED

Last 2 issues on the RTP

SD1

Riding the bike daily and already closing in on my 1st 1000 miles.... woohoo!!!

I swapped the front pads in this morning and road about 60 miles, they are just bedding in now and made a big difference. The old pads had lots of life but I could tell they just werent biting like I thought they should so glad I opted to put some fresh ones in. Much better now.

Last 2 issues. Doing the dust boot for the ball joint on the telelever. Can someone concur that the nut (M14) is a 21mm? That is what I see looking at the parts schematic. I do not have an offset box end so wanting to verify before I go grab one.

Lastly, alternator belt, lots of comments that it is a PITA. I have watched several vids, does not look like that big a deal, any comments or magic or a particular vid you would recommend?  

Thanks!

-Doug

It isn't particularly hard, you just need a third hand, but much easier with the special install tool..I finally broke down and bought one and it does work great.

9 hours ago, SD1 said:

Last 2 issues. Doing the dust boot for the ball joint on the telelever. Can someone concur that the nut (M14) is a 21mm? That is what I see looking at the parts schematic. I do not have an offset box end so wanting to verify before I go grab one.

Lastly, alternator belt, lots of comments that it is a PITA. I have watched several vids, does not look like that big a deal, any comments or magic or a particular vid you would recommend?  

Thanks!

-Doug

Morning Doug

I'm pretty sure that it is a 21mm nut OD, the center stud hex is 7mm. Those things can be tight so it can be a fight. Usually some heat helps if you can get it heated without burning the paint around it (about 240°f +/-) . That nut is supposedly a one time use (ny-lock)  but if you clean the threads then use some blue (242) Locktite at reassembly the nut can be reused. 

The belt replacement is not bad. Put the new belt out in the hot sun while prepping the bike (on a black asphalt if possible) as that makes installation easier.

If the L/H Tupperware  is removed I use a remote start button on the starter, if the Tupperware is in place then I usually remove the upper spark plugs as that makes turning the engine pulley so much easier.

I use a piece of paracord, or very strong string (thin strong rope), or even a large strong Zip tie around the old belt to help guide it off the lower pulley while turning the pulley  (saves your fingers if things don't go as planned). It sometimes takes a couple of string resets to work the belt all the way off.   Or, if you don't want  to save the old belt then just cut it off.

If the new belt is somewhat warm you can usually hang it around the alternator pulley then start it part way around the lower pulley then work it on while rotating the lower pulley. If the belt is cold & stiff it is more difficult.  

Thanks for the comments. I do have a heat gun if the nut is uncooperative, sounds like I should use it. I did not see anything about it being a one time use so thanks for that and I will use some loctite on reassembly.

Any chance you know what size the nut is on the lower pulley?

1 hour ago, SD1 said:

Thanks for the comments. I do have a heat gun if the nut is uncooperative, sounds like I should use it. I did not see anything about it being a one time use so thanks for that and I will use some loctite on reassembly.

Any chance you know what size the nut is on the lower pulley?

Morning SD1

I think it is 34mm but that is unconfirmed.   Unfortunately I usually don't look at wrench sizes as I have been doing this stuff for so long I just look at the bolt head or nut for looks-like-size then pick a wrench or socket by eye. Every now & then I have to determine size but I don't miss often enough to remember what it was. 

If you remove the spark plugs & have some help you can probably put the transmission in 6th gear then have someone turn the rear wheel.

I should have mentioned above, if you have a fighter belt from he!! then try cutting a piece of old milk carton or similar plastic then run that through between the belt & pulley as you work the belt off. That can make sliding it out over the lower pulley ribs easier.