IGNORED

tracstar helibar review for k1200s versus stock handlebars for long distance driving and neck relief.

david rigsbee

david rigsbee

I thought that my helment was too heavy when my neck would ache after 3 hours of riding. I bought a very light helment and still got the same results. I think I am leaning over too far because my handlebars are factory set and I am only 5' 9" tall with short arms, causing me to tilt my head too far back to see well. I purchased the helibar extensions to give me realtive 1.5 inches of arm reach after watching video on youtube installing the extensions. One reviewer said it really made a difference in his neck pain........has anyone else experienced anything similar? ty

david 

p.s. I am a new member. I sold my harley and recently bought a 2006 bmw k1200s. I got tired of the flying brick and lugging 900 lbs. aruond. I love this bike!!!! It is a keeper. At 64 years old, we are a  match. I wish I had done it sooner. Never going back!!! cant wait to try out the helibars. If they dont help, I have other Ideas from my engineering experiences with Toyota mfg. Ky.

Edited by david rigsbee

My experience was different.

Picked up a Heli-bar equipped 2011 K1300S after my 2009 was totaled in a deer strike. The riding experience was so altered by the Heli-bars that I soon removed them and never went back. It felt like I was driving a tractor....

But I must be weird, as most K bikers  that use the Heli-bars love them.

Glad you found comfort. The K is a super bike! Enjoy it!

PS: still have the Heli-bars. Probably should turn them into cash.

I put the helibars on right after I bought the bike. I also run the low seat (have the high seat as a spare), and have lowered the pegs about an inch. Those three things working together makes the bike quite comfortable. For long trips I add a tall windscreen.

Recently did a two week, 3200 mi trip, most of which was fun. Trip was split about 50/50 mountains and highway. One major mistake was I forgot to add a throttle lock for long highway stretches, I've since put one on along with softer grip puppies to help cut down on vibrations. For the trip I had a large pack ratchet strapped to the passenger portion of the seat and that helped with support.

One note on the helibars, before install, I drilled and tapped, in my case 1/4"-20, into the inboard end of the bars, parallel to the clamped end of the bars. There I installed my Ram balls. On rt handlebar I mounted my gps, on left bar I installed the Ram X-grip for my phone.

ps: I'm 69, 5'9, 210