IGNORED

2015 R1200R White smoke after sitting

Tpoppa

My R1200R had been sitting on the side stand and not started in about 60 days.  Which is the longest in the 3 years I've owned it.

Today, on startup there was fairly thick white smoke for about 10 seconds then it tapered off.  It was completely gone after idling for about 90 seconds as it was warming up.   It was definitely smoke and not steam. ad smelled like oil. 

I've never seen a hint of smoke before.  I rode it for a few miles, and everything looks/sounds/seems normal.

It this normal after sitting?  Anything to be concerned about?

12 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

My R1200R had been sitting on the side stand and not started in about 60 days.  Which is the longest in the 3 years I've owned it.

Today, on startup there was fairly thick white smoke for about 10 seconds then it tapered off.  It was completely gone after idling for about 90 seconds as it was warming up.   It was definitely smoke and not steam. ad smelled like oil. 

I've never seen a hint of smoke before.  I rode it for a few miles, and everything looks/sounds/seems normal.

It this normal after sitting?  Anything to be concerned about?

Afternoon Tpoppa

I wouldn't' say normal but some do that after sitting for a long time on the side stand. 

1 minute ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Tpoppa

I wouldn't' say normal but some do that after sitting for a long time on the side stand. 

Come to think of it, last winter I had it on the center stand.

Could a bit of oil have drained toward the lower cylinder when on the side stand?  I remember the K75s would smoke on start up do to oil draining.

10 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Come to think of it, last winter I had it on the center stand.

Could a bit of oil have drained toward the lower cylinder when on the side stand?  I remember the K75s would smoke on start up do to oil draining.

Afternoon Tpoppa

Yes, that is more than likely what happened. 

• Thanks 1