IGNORED

R1100RSL Brake Fluid Flush

JamesW

Hi guys.  Did my 2 year brake fluid flush yesterday using only front and rear bleeders didn't go to the trouble of removing the tank and bleeding the non-servo ABS reservoir.  If my memory serves it isn't really necessary to bleed the servo unit, I think, if one does a thorough flush using the wheel circuits. Ran just a smidge more than one can of DOT4 through it.  What say you?  Tank is full and kind of a pain to fool with not a huge pain but still a pain especially if it doesn't accomplish much.  No air bubbles observed during the flush just clean clear brake fluid tested good with my brake fluid tester. Oh, and the early R1100 doesn't have the servo assist brake system, thank god.

18 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Hi guys.  Did my 2 year brake fluid flush yesterday using only front and rear bleeders didn't go to the trouble of removing the tank and bleeding the non-servo ABS reservoir.  If my memory serves it isn't really necessary to bleed the servo unit, I think, if one does a thorough flush using the wheel circuits. Ran just a smidge more than one can of DOT4 through it.  What say you?  Tank is full and kind of a pain to fool with not a huge pain but still a pain especially if it doesn't accomplish much.  No air bubbles observed during the flush just clean clear brake fluid tested good with my brake fluid tester. Oh, and the early R1100 doesn't have the servo assist brake system, thank god.

Afternoon James

That gets most of the old fluid out. That does leave a little trapped in the ABS module but not enough to worry about unless there is a lot of moisture in your area. 

If you flush every year before winter storage  then that way is just fine. Probably every 2 years in a non-high-moisture area is also OK.

With rubber brake hoses I like to flush once a year, if updated with (non-rubber) hoses  then every 2 years is good. 

Hi D.R.,  Yes, I changed all brake lines to Spiegler about 10 or so years ago and I test the fluid once a year and flush every two years.  I couldn't remember for sure if flushing the ABS pump was necessary or not.  Last time I flushed the pump was in '18 and fluid was clear at the time.  I get the R1100 confused at times with the 2004 R1150 I used to own sold in '16 and don't miss it but that's another story.  I guess you could say I live in a damp climate (central Oregon coast) with this winter being especially cold with humidity reaching 100% most nights rain or no rain.  Bikes spend winter in heated shop and I spend winter in heated house.:)

4 hours ago, JamesW said:

Hi D.R.,  Yes, I changed all brake lines to Spiegler about 10 or so years ago and I test the fluid once a year and flush every two years.  I couldn't remember for sure if flushing the ABS pump was necessary or not.

I have an 1100RT.  Same ABS2 brake system. I have speed bleeders on all of the calipers. Bleeding the system is such an easy and quick procedure, I usually flush the brake fluid at least once a year. By itself, takes less than half an hour.  Bleeding the ABS module is not necessary on a regular basis. When I have the tank off for other maintenance, I might put a clear hose on the ABS bleeders and crack them open. The fluid is clear and clean when I do that anyway. My procedure is to bleed until I refill the reservoir three times or more. Doesn’t even use up the small bottle of DOT 4.