IGNORED

quick-release catch on left side panel

lather

I replaced my sparkplugs a couple days ago. I had to remove the  side panels to access the secondary plugs.  Requires removal of a bunch of screw fasteners but one fastener on the left panel is a plastic quick-release catch instead of a metal screw. When I undid it I assumed the fastener was attached to the panel. I set the panel asside in a safe place while I pulled the coils and changed the plugs. When I went to reinstall the left panel the quick-release catch was GONE! A thorough search failed to locate it.

I will admit may garage is very cluttered. Anyway, my question is what is the purpose of this quick-release catch. I secured the panel with a zip tie and it is snug. I am wondering if it is wiorth the bother to order a replacement.

10 minutes ago, lather said:

I replaced my sparkplugs a couple days ago. I had to remove the  side panels to access the secondary plugs.  Requires removal of a bunch of screw fasteners but one fastener on the left panel is a plastic quick-release catch instead of a metal screw. When I undid it I assumed the fastener was attached to the panel. I set the panel asside in a safe place while I pulled the coils and changed the plugs. When I went to reinstall the left panel the quick-release catch was GONE! A thorough search failed to locate it.

I will admit may garage is very cluttered. Anyway, my question is what is the purpose of this quick-release catch. I secured the panel with a zip tie and it is snug. I am wondering if it is wiorth the bother to order a replacement.

Morning   lather

BMW used that for a reason so it should probably (eventually) be replaced. That zip tie will probably be OK until you can get around to replacing. Next time you get near a BMW dealer you can probably buy another one. 

Who knows, once you quit looking for it then it might just pop up when you are looking for something else. 

I removed that fastener a month or so ago while disassembling my new-to-me RT's fairing for the first time to install LED headlight bulbs. As soon as the fastener was removed I heard something fall; turned out it was the fastener's receptacle and I found it during further disassembly. 

When reassembling the bike, I realized the receptacle had fallen because instead of the prior owner setting the receptacle into its hole from the top he'd somehow managed to place it under the fairing panel and then insert and lock the fastener into it. Once I'd set the receptacle into position from the top as designed, it stayed in place while I positioned the trim piece over it and then inserted/locked the fastener. Just providing this info in case it helps anyone else from unnecessarily losing the receptacle.

From the parts fiche, items # 8 (receptacle) and # 9 (fastener): R 1200 RT, 2010-'13 Frame, Body, Fairing, Luggage (46) | Bobs BMW | Bob's BMW

DisplayImage.aspx?Size=Full&Type=Z&ImageID=492114

2 hours ago, jdub53 said:

I removed that fastener a month or so ago while disassembling my new-to-me RT's fairing for the first time to install LED headlight bulbs. As soon as the fastener was removed I heard something fall; turned out it was the fastener's receptacle and I found it during further disassembly. 

When reassembling the bike, I realized the receptacle had fallen because instead of the prior owner setting the receptacle into its hole from the top he'd somehow managed to place it under the fairing panel and then insert and lock the fastener into it. Once I'd set the receptacle into position from the top as designed, it stayed in place while I positioned the trim piece over it and then inserted/locked the fastener. Just providing this info in case it helps anyone else from unnecessarily losing the receptacle.

From the parts fiche, items # 8 (receptacle) and # 9 (fastener): R 1200 RT, 2010-'13 Frame, Body, Fairing, Luggage (46) | Bobs BMW | Bob's BMW

DisplayImage.aspx?Size=Full&Type=Z&ImageID=492114

Thanks! Ordered.

• Like 1