IGNORED

Broke another clutch cable

njl4

Today I decided to go for my first ride of the season  and " POP " went the clutch cable. This cable is only 2 years old and it was a brand new cable from the BMW dealer. My question is, I know I need to put a dab of grease on the cable end at the clutch housing should I be putting a dab of grease on the barrel in the clutch handle itself ?

I'm glad I was close to home and able to make it without having to come to a complete stop.

The clutch itself pulls with the normal hand pressure as it always has. This is my second R1100rt that I've owned and love the bike between the 2 bikes I've logged well over 100,000 mile this bike runs flawless , But 2 clutch cable in the past couple of years? What I'm I missing?

1 minute ago, njl4 said:

Today I decided to go for my first ride of the season  and " POP " went the clutch cable. This cable is only 2 years old and it was a brand new cable from the BMW dealer. My question is, I know I need to put a dab of grease on the cable end at the clutch housing should I be putting a dab of grease on the barrel in the clutch handle itself ?

I'm glad I was close to home and able to make it without having to come to a complete stop.

The clutch itself pulls with the normal hand pressure as it always has. This is my second R1100rt that I've owned and love the bike between the 2 bikes I've logged well over 100,000 mile this bike runs flawless , But 2 clutch cable in the past couple of years? What I'm I missing?

Evening njl4

Yes, put a little grease on the barrel as that not rotating easily is usually what breaks the cable. Also make sure that the  barrel can move smoothly & easily in the lever hole.  Also, if the lever hole is worn or egg shaped then you might look into a new, or good used lever.  

• Plus 1 1

Thanks Dritrider, I don't feel burrs and the hole seems round , But I will check it with a drill gauge of the proper size to check for roundness and will also look and make sure that where the cable entres the handle that the surfaces are smooth and burr free.Thank you for your time with this matter.

The new cable has been ordered and should be here by the end of the week.

njl4,

Order two cables, tape or zip-tie them together except for 6 inches at either end, and install on the bike as usual.  Just be sure to connect the ends of the same cable.  EZPZ fix on the road.

Sure is, and Great thought, that way if it breaks on the road you don’t have to remove the gas tank.

thanks again for the advice with this matter.

I changed out my clutch cable about 35,000 miles ago, as it felt gritty and a bit heavy. It was already lubed at both end fittings.

The new one was installed....greased both ends,  and felt exactly the same. The old one was probably perfectly alright.

I mean to change all the cables again sometime in the near future, before winter ends here, just got to get around to it.

I'm curious as to where your cable broke?  I replaced mine a couple days ago as i had noticed the clutch seemed heavy and the inner liner of the cable seemed displaced.   The bike is new to me (1999 RT) and i've only put 58km's on it.  I have no previous history on the bike and have no idea how old the cable i replaced is.   The feel at the lever went from requiring a four fingers to now being nice and light and can be operated with two fingers.  I posted the pic below elsewhere and it degraded into a lubrication thread.:4316:

The manufacturers manual specifies a moly lube for other pivot points in the clutch.   So i dabbed some at both ends of the cable and called it good.  The old cable is on the left in the photo.  The inner lining was loose and could be slid in and out.  The picture shows it exposed more then when it was installed.  When it was installed, the clutch lever at the lower end could contact the liner.

20230212_134026.thumb.jpg.47ca7f7672e676bac0841018d5686014.jpg

Cheers!

Mine broke at the clutch handle. I added a small dab of moly paste on each end. The worst thing is when it breaks at the clutch lever you generally loose the little barrel 

( 06 32 72 1 233 550) and it doesn’t come with your new clutch cable, so if this happens to you remember to order it too when you get your new clutch cable. 
the best thing about the broken clutch cable was I was close to home and once I took the bike apart to remove the gas tank I just went ahead and did all the maintenance ( oil change, new fuel filter, checked the valves clearance, cleaned the air filter) that’s the great thing about waiting for parts , it makes you check a whole list of things.

• Like 3

The cables on my 96 RT were 'maintained' every 12,000 miles at a dealer service.  I replaced them at 94,000.  Not because anything was wrong with them.  Just because I couldn't believe they'd last that long much less any longer.  Based on my experience, I'm thinking having to replace cables any sooner that about every 36K is a result either driving in continual abnormal conditions, storing their bike in sub optimal conditions, or the service technique isn't as 'recommended' by Bmw.  

15 hours ago, Red said:

the service technique isn't as 'recommended' by Bmw.  

That'll be my guess...... 'cause we worked the hell out of those cables on Authority bikes and never broke one.(Broke a lot of other stuff though:rofl:)

Well my part’s finally arrived, bike is back together. Got out for an hour today and everything seems fine.

at least it’s February here in Michigan so I was lucky enough to be able to go out for a short ride. The weather this year has been warm in this part of the country. 
So all maintenance has been done and even a new set of tires to boot , ready for summer riding, see you all at the Iron Butt rally.

• Plus 1 1