IGNORED

Engine cuts off when moving handlebar

Manuel61

Hi. My 2005 R1200ST loses all power when I turn the handlebar to the right. I saw a video on youtube explaining what's causing the problem. Since I'll have to remove the body fairings and a lot of other parts to get at the problem it would help a lot if I had a wiring diagram of my bike. Can you please direct me on where I can download a wiring diagram? Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Manuel61 said:

Hi. My 2005 R1200ST loses all power when I turn the handlebar to the right. I saw a video on youtube explaining what's causing the problem. Since I'll have to remove the body fairings and a lot of other parts to get at the problem it would help a lot if I had a wiring diagram of my bike. Can you please direct me on where I can download a wiring diagram? Thanks in advance. 

Morning  Manuel61

The way BMW sets up their official wiring diagrams is NOT  a single page deal so there are many sub pages to get to what you need. Some of the non-BMW on-line hexhead wire diagram info is incorrect or not complete.

On this web site most of us abide by the copyright policy so won't point you to stolen or bootlegged copyrighted information.    

I have the full official BMW wiring info for the BMW 1200ST so can help you with small area diagnosis if that helps but I won't post anything that is copyrighted on the web site so it will have to be done through PM (personal messages) on this web site.  

Check your personal messages (PM) on this site as  I just sent you  (loaned to you)  a local diagram of the main harness to handlebar & ignition switch wiring (that is the area that you will be working with). Usually when turning the bars effects engine operation it is a broken wire (partially anyhow) in the wire harness between the motorcycle main frame harness & the handlebars themselves. Usually at a spot where it flexes the most when the bars are turned). 

The other place to look (reach in & wiggle the wire pig tail with engine running) is right at the ignition switch where the pig tail attaches as that is a known area that causes engine cut-outs.   

Added: check your "Personal Messages" on this site. 

• 1 month later...

Hi 2008 had a EWS no start issue ( internment )  that the dealer found after a bit , It would not connect to the ring antenna , replaced the ring antenna no improvement. 

Finally found a shorting wire near the steering head  ( left hand side ) replaced a wire and more loosely routed wires to reduce stress.