IGNORED

Gear shift floppy at the bottom no gear selection

Swas

Transmission/ gear shift not selecting gear it’s floppy and at the bottom of foot plate. I’ve checked all the linkage still attached.  About ideas please, I’m thinking transmission failure!!!

BCCAA472-3573-4072-AFAE-F17638254A62.jpeg

1 hour ago, Swas said:

Transmission/ gear shift not selecting gear it’s floppy and at the bottom of foot plate. I’ve checked all the linkage still attached.  About ideas please, I’m thinking transmission failure!!!

Afternoon Swas

If the little shift lever on the transmission is moving OK & it is tight on the stub shaft then it is probably internal to the transmission. 

The pinch bolt in the little lever on the transmission stub shaft (one that the shift  link attaches to) can come loose allowing little lever to migrate outward & become unattached so check that first.

What year are your working on? There were a few old service bulletins on the problems with, breaking welds on or problems with, the internal shifter drum.

He's missing a screw right in front of the shifter.  Nothing to do with the shifter, but there maybe there are others missing, too, like the adjuster pivot blolt that 9Mary7 pointed out.

12 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

Assuming the height adjuster pivot bolt didn't fall out?

Evening 9Mary7

That can happen but when it does the shift lever usually doesn't stay centered in the slot or parallel to the ground. 

12 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

He's missing a screw right in front of the shifter.

Evening Lowndes

Yes,  I saw that but no part of the shift lever goes that far forward & nothing shifting-wise attaches in that area.