IGNORED

Where does Sheild wire terminate on H.E.S.?

beaterBmer

When I cut open the insulation on my hes wiring I wasn't able to tell where the extra (clear coated silver) wire goes to on the hes. I'm sure it's on a post here somewhere, but I'm sick of looking The hes rebuild pdf. By Dana Hager addresses everything but what to do with the extra wire. I'm guessing it doesn't do jack. About to slam it together and find out.. I probably aught to just go ahead and order that new hes now and get it out of they way. Lol 

6 hours ago, beaterBmer said:

When I cut open the insulation on my hes wiring I wasn't able to tell where the extra (clear coated silver) wire goes to on the hes. I'm sure it's on a post here somewhere, but I'm sick of looking The hes rebuild pdf. By Dana Hager addresses everything but what to do with the extra wire. I'm guessing it doesn't do jack. About to slam it together and find out.. I probably aught to just go ahead and order that new hes now and get it out of they way. Lol 

Morning  beaterBmer

That is the RFI shield, it goes to terminal (pin) #1 on the HES connector. 

I I know it is pin one as that is still attached to the plug for now.  Does the other end attach to something @ the he's?  And thank you so much

11 minutes ago, beaterBmer said:

I I know it is pin one as that is still attached to the plug for now.  Does the other end attach to something @ the he's?  And thank you so much

Afternoon beaterBmer

Not that I have been able to find. I just ground the  RFI shield that is  (inside the outer sheath) at pin#1.

If you want more detail on this you might E-Mail Gs Addict__     arbcon@sunshinecoast.ca   ___. He can also rebuild yours if needed (basically re-wire it with the proper high temperature wire. He does a superb job (much better than the BMW original &  lot cheaper)

4 minutes ago, beaterBmer said:

Does it get attached to the negative lead at the hes? Or does it attach to the plate itself ?

Afternoon 

Not that I have been able to find. I just (connect) the  RFI shield that runs (inside the outer sheath) to pin#1.

Sorry I hadn't seen your reply yet. Thank you very much. I very well may have him rebuild this one if I don't fry it messing around. I am new to bmw. was looking for a hiway bike. Gotta admit I'm a little bummed I sold my old cruiser so fast. The rt is taking some getting used to. Dropped the _#@& once already. Foot slipped and it was all over. Mangled a mirror. Fortunately this bike is far from pristine. Had I done my homework I probably would have passed up the bargain basement bmw. On the bright side if I lit a match and started over I'll only be out a grand. The hes issue ( I assume) reared its ugly head running on the stand in the driveway. I rebuilt it with the correct wire, but my soldering skills are lacking. It looks like poo. Honestly I'll be amazed if it works.  I'll find out here today hopefully. I plan on riding this bike enough to decide whether or not to buy something newer or a better cared for 1100 or 1150. Thanks again.   96 r1100rt

Shield/ground wires like that use a monolithic ground, only attached at one end to eliminate noise. If attached at both ends it becomes an antenna, taking in all manner of noise. Just make sure it is isolated/insulated, not touching anything at the unattached end.

• Thanks 1