IGNORED

Car oil Question

Sonor

I have a vehicle that states it should only have 0w20 synthetic oil. I have a case of 5w20 Synth oil. Is it okay to use the 5w20 and if so, year round or only when temps stay within a certain range?

I have a hybrid that says it can use either. I do notice a MPG difference between then, but that's it. I doubt you'd have a problem, but if your manually really says only 0w20, and you're concerned enough to ask...

Thanks for the input. Another site provided me with this link. https://autochimps.com/0w-20-vs-5w-20-oil/ - after reading it, seems as though at running temp, there is no difference. However, getting to running temp could raise some concerns. So using the 5 in our summer is completely acceptable but when it is teens and below there would be problems. Just makes me think about how to use the vehicle over the next month.

0W 20 is for fuel mileage in an effort to meet low CAFE numbers. I've used 5W 30 full synthetic in the family Highlander and the rest of the four wheel vehicles for years. I doubt you will see any issues with your car using 5W20 in the winter. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Lake Speed Jr. has a lot of content on oils and is recognized in the racing industry as an expert.  Link to one of his many videos…

• Thanks 1

Lake Speed is a little hard for me to watch as well but he seems to know what he is talking about.  Lots of info and testing results on the 530 Rat site LINK

Edited by MikeB60
Spellin

How about a summary of the vids, can 5w/20 but used in lieu of 0w/20?

(I just don't have patience for videos like that in general, too much side crap going on usually)

On 1/29/2023 at 9:15 AM, 9Mary7 said:

You can do whatever you want....... low-temp flow is the difference between those two oils.

Yes, but the difference isn't much.

• Like 1

And from what I understand, as long as the last number is the same (and in this case it is at 20) there isn't that much of a difference between 0 and 5. So the 5 is acceptable to use as long as it doesn't get too cold for the vehicle.