IGNORED

Question on front Ohlins shock R1100RT

Uncle Mike

I purchased a used Ohlins front shock for my 1999 R1100RT off the classified here. Before I install it I was going to see if I can verify this shock is for my model? The upper and lower attachment points look correct.  Does anyone know what the numbers on the spring represent as far as the riders weight? Any information would be appreciated.  

I reached out to Ohlins USA also by email. 

20230126_072621_resized.jpg

20230126_072636_resized.jpg

CoarsegoldKid

Sorry I don't know the answer.  A suspension shop would certainly know.  I can tell you this I have on my '05 RT.  If you RT is designed anything like mine the install isn't really easy and if you ever need to check in on the alternator belt you'll do some creative cussing. 

19 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Any information would be appreciated.  

Try here ...  LINKY.  If its right for you/your bike is another question

Someone got back to me from Ohlins very quickly.  I wrote back: On top of the shock there are two numbers punch stamped. 430442 and BM502.

Michael,

00180-65 is the part number of a 46mm ID spring. The 62 indicates 62 Nm/mm rate. The L0611 is just the batch code. (not important)

More important is what shock part number do you have? To the best of my knowledge the R1100RT never used a shock with a 46mm ID spring. (36mm shock body) I suspect you may have a BM 842, which was for the R1100S. If so, the 62 Nm spring would be one rate up from the original S model spec of 57 Nm.

Regards,

Gary Christopher

Customer Care & Warranty Manager – Motorcycle, Auto, MTB

The plot thickens. Do I have some type of Frankenstein shock? I sent him some pictures to view. 

"Uhhhh… something really wrong here… BM 502 is a piggyback reservoir rear shock for a K1200/1300R. No way a 00180-65 spring would physically fit on that shock body."

20230126_140156.jpg

20230126_135935_resized.jpg

Ok. I talked to Ted Porter at the Beemer shop. What a nice guy. He spent 45 minutes on the phone with me. The shock is a BM 050-2, He said my best bet was send it out to be checked out and reconditioned first before putting on the R1100RT.

He also said Ohlins is not the best shock anymore. Wears out fast like a racing shock and has not kept up with all the technical advances. They are prone to leak on the telelever top end due to the shaft.

I think reconditioning it will work for me. I don't put many miles on my 99. Purchase it with 13,000 and now have about 16,000.

Talking to a rep at Ohlins scared the heck out of me. 

All's well that ends well. 

• Plus 1 1

Ted sold me Wilbur shocks for my '99 R11S.  They were cheaper and better than the Ohlins, and they have adjustable rebound dampening.  They TRANSFORMED the bike, made it a pure joy to ride.  A year later I added a '00 K1200S, called Ted and got the same setup for it. 

Once you've ridden a well sorted suspension on a bike, you can't go back to whatever.  It's also very much a safety thing even more than comfort.  Hard to be safe bouncing all over the road.  "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it."   

• Plus 1 1

Yes, get it refreshed and the correct spring for your bike and weight.

Even if the Ohlins aren’t the best out there, it will be a quantum leap better than the OEM shocks that came on a ‘99RT.  I’d keep your eye out for a rear unit as that will let you to get both ends working in unison, which is part of the magic of a superior ride quality suspension system.

I found a deal some years back on a new set of Ohlins for my ‘99 RT as my OEMs were showing their age. As  Lowndes said it transformed that RT from a good riding and cornering  bike to a superior confidence inspiring riding bike. You can have it all with a supple ride and much better stability as well.   Those little chatter ripples in asphalt corners which would cause my RT to walk out to a wider line with the OEM shocks, the Ohlins would gobble up keeping the tires planted and the bike on the line you intended.  Confidence inspiring when riding frisky.  

My wife hates any jarring and when she comes for a ride I’ll dial back the damping to the point that the bike boats down the road like a ‘70s Lincoln town car and she loves it.  With that setting I do need to keep things to just cruising around, which is fine as that is my driving mode with a passenger on board anyway. 

• Plus 1 1

I fabricated the holders etc to rebuild the Ohlins I have on my 03  R1150RT. I also put together a gas charging package. Ohlins sent me the spec sheets and were very helpful.

Paying a shop to do the reconditioning is money well spent.

Enjoy the ride and do look for a matching rear shock for an even bigger improvement

• Plus 1 2

If anyone is interested: Estimate

REBUILD OHLINS BM050 FRONT SHOCK - R1150R BM 0502 00180-65/62 @ 180mm 49-190-62 @ 10mm PL SPRING IS APPROPRIATE RATE FOR THIS APPLICATION RIDER WT: 225 LBS LT LUG: 10 LBS HEAVY LUG: 30 LBS NO PASSENGER R - 52 / WILL RE-SET

Description: THIS SHOCK IS FOR AN R1150R, NOT AN R1100RT. HOWEVER WITH THE ADJUSTABLE EYELET IT CAN BE MADE THE CORRECT LENGTH OF 331mm (TO FIT THE 1150R IT WOULD BE SET TO 333mm). ALSO, THE SPRING RATE IS APPROPRIATE FOR THE RT AND THE VALVING SHOULD WORK OK.

Resolution: RECOMMEND INCREASING PRELOAD FROM 10mm TO 15mm TO GET CORRECT SAG. OHLINS RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVAL IS EVERY 12,000 MILES. AS THIS WAS PURCHASED USED, ACTUAL MILES ON IT SINCE THE LAST SERVICE ARE UNKNOWN.

Recommend: Part # Qty Description Price Discount Total 03078-01 1.00 OHLINS PISTON RING 36/6  $7.58 00338-02 1.00 OHLINS O-RING 38X2.5 NBR 70  $3.50 03063-01 1.00 OHLINS BUMPER 14.1/36/25  $4.21 00141-01 1.00 OHLINS PISTON RING 36 00 $7.89 03164-03 1.00 OHLINS SEAL HEAD 14/36 $49.01 Parts Parts Subtotal $72.19 Labor Description Technician Total REBULD OHLINS D MODEL $240.00 Labor Subtotal $240.00 Job Subtotal $312.19 Detail All Jobs Subtotal: $312.19 Shop Supplies: $9.00 Tax: $0.00 $0.00 Total: Less Deposits: $321.19 Total Due: $321.19

It will be like a new shock when done. So about $700.00 all said and done. Could have purchased a TFX or Yacugar  or even a Wilbers for a little more. Something to think about if you decide to go that way. 

4 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It will be like a new shock when done

Exactly.....and from my experience with Ohlins you will be happy you did it.

• Plus 1 1