IGNORED

R1100RTP 98 123,000 miles burned ground on headlight plug

KDeline

Would corrosion as in some green deposit in the ground wire on the headlight plug cause heating enough in that area to melt the plastic plug itself? Picture is after the plug burned and I broke off the rest of the plastic. Going to wire in another plug and wonder if I should cut down to good looking wire and solder. I ordered a plug with male ends to plug and play into the original female terminal but that terminal and wire makes me wonder. I assume that is the cause of the hotspot and melted plug, other wires look good. Also ordered a new bulb in case it has somehow shorted but it still works. It's only 25 years old........

IMG_9295.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

34 minutes ago, KDeline said:

Would corrosion as in some green deposit in the ground wire on the headlight plug cause heating enough in that area to melt the plastic plug itself? Picture is after the plug burned and I broke off the rest of the plastic. Going to wire in another plug and wonder if I should cut down to good looking wire and solder. I ordered a plug with male ends to plug and play into the original female terminal but that terminal and wire makes me wonder. I assume that is the cause of the hotspot and melted plug, other wires look good. Also ordered a new bulb in case it has somehow shorted but it still works. It's only 25 years old........

Evening KDeline

I have seen that happen a number of times on the BMW bikes. 

It gets that way from resistance or overload. 

Using a higher wattage bulb is a main cause but a somewhat loose terminal connection can also cause higher resistance then excess heat.

Corrosion could cause it also but I seldom see signs of that on failed headlight connector terminals. 

My '97 1100r was the same at about 95,000 miles, corroded and a bit melted. I was chasing down the double-time turn signal flashing problem and came across the melted headlight connections.... thought I'd found the problem....

It wasn't though.