IGNORED

Valentine 1 How to's

Jharpphoto

I would like to mount a V1 on my 2013 RT and am hopeful you fellas can guide me. I think I plan to mount the V1 on a ram mount (handlebar) not sure what I need to mount the V1 to the ram mount. Is there a specific plate or mounting interface I need? I also plan to use the Marc Parnes LED visual alert but I know the V1 has a remote visual indicator as well. Is there a reason to use the Marc Parnes alert over the V1 remote visual alert. I guess most importantly, I'm not really clear on how to power/wire the V1 and remote visual indicator. I've seem some mention using a Fuze box or something similar. Is there a step by step somewhere that illustrates the installation of a V1 on an RT?  I believe there is some "weather protection" case/sleeve that is available for the V1 as well, isn't there?

I realize these are probably stupid questions but I'm hoping not to make mistakes/incorrect parts purchases in this build. Thanks in advance to any help and guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reason you have heard only crickets on this post is that many of the riders on this board have moved on from radar detectors for a variety of reasons, including that they are constantly alerting due to the increased use of radar in vehicles and store doors.  My V1 has been sitting on the shelf in my garage for many years.  When it was hooked up, the set up was simple.  RAM makes a magnetic plate that the V1 easily mounts to with a stick-on magnetic strip placed on the bottom of the unit.  Then, you can attach a standard RAM ball to the bottom of the plate and use any size RAM arm to mount to a ball that is attached somewhere on the bike, typically a handlebar or reservoir.  The Marc Parnes LED unit plugs into the back of the V1, and you can then use velcro or double-sided tape to mount the LED unit to the top of the V1 or, with a longer cord, somewhere else within visual range.  If you go back into the archives on this site, you will likely find dozens of posts and photos on various set up options.  Good luck.

Randy,

I responded to jharpphoto on the BMW MOA forum, it anyone would like to see that response please let me know and I'll post here.

As for false alarms that is fixed if you upgrade your V1, the current ones work great.  I still have the older generation but it's the most current of that model and works very well with limited false alerts.  Before I upgraded I 100% agree with you it was worthless.  I'm told the current release is better then mine and I'm happy with it's performance.  The problem with upgrading means you need to buy a new V1 and that is expensive...

16 hours ago, strataj said:

if you upgrade your V1, the current ones work great

I sent mine in a couple of times to get the latest upgrades.  At the time I put in on the shelf, it was as current as possible.  Prolly not going to buy another, even if they have fixed all the false alerts.

12 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Bunch of damn hoodlums!

Speed limit on I40 is 65 in the triad, average flow of traffic is 80, speed limit through Greensboro drops to 55 on I40, average flow of traffic is 80,.....I've noticed over the last few years, that 5 or 10 over will get you run over.  15-25 over is better flow locally

• Like 1

Pretty much what Randy and other have said.  My 2006 RT came with a nice Passport Blue Display.  I also had a Legal Speeding waterproof case for it.  It just became a pain with VA outlaw on detectors and the fact that I just don't ride that fast to ever need it.  5-10 over the limit is my usual riding style and even at 15 over the cops never bother me.  I ended up selling the whole package for something like $250 ... was shocked it was worth that much. 

But for mounting there are 2 popular options .... ram ball using the GS from switch gear clamp and put Ram ball where mirror would go or like mine was mounted use a small shelf.   Forget the guy who makes them ...??  RK or something like that.   I will see if I have a link. 

Thanks for sharing the link to RCU designs.  That shelf looks pretty cool.  I'm curious how the V1 attaches to that RCU half shelf?  Any ideas how that works?

13 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

Thanks for sharing the link to RCU designs.  That shelf looks pretty cool.  I'm curious how the V1 attaches to that RCU half shelf?  Any ideas how that works?

I use the 3m dual lock.  7 years and still holds well. Link

• Like 1