IGNORED

49 Litre Trunk lock cylinder

Woodchips

I recently purchased a 06 RT 1200 without a trunk but was able to locate a mint 49 litre one with a key.

I went to the local BMW dealer and was advised that I could order a new Cylinder ($86Cdn.) and they would key it to my existing key. When he looked up the part number it indicated that the cylinder was no longer available from BMW. He then suggested that i go online and see what others have done to solve the issue.

While carrying a separate key is not a big problem, it would be nice to have the trunk open with the same key as the saddle bags. Suggestions?

Ron

I took the easy cheap way and just removed all but the bottom tumbler. That holds the lock barrel in place. The problem doing it this way, it will turn with any key or small screw driver but if you don't tell anyone............

• Plus 1 1

Thanks Mike

Interesting, If I try that method I’ll take the cylinder to either the BMW dealer or preferably a locksmith for rekeying. 

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get the trunk figured out ? I sell a lock cylinder removal tool, included is tech help to do it and info on rekeying .

text or call 559-288-1490

On 1/22/2023 at 11:57 AM, Woodchips said:

Thanks Mike

Interesting, If I try that method I’ll take the cylinder to either the BMW dealer or preferably a locksmith for rekeying. 

Ron

15 hours ago, Woodchips said:

Not yet, a couple of other priorities keep getting in my way😔. Ill post when I get it sorted. 🛵

If you can get the cylinder out, there is no reason to take it to someone for "rekeying". It's not hard to get the cylinder out (not sure what tool Tri750 sells or how much, but I suspect it makes it even easier) and once that's done, moving the wafers around to match your key is no big deal at all. 

• Plus 1 1

I agree with szurszewski.  Once you get the cylinder out it's not hard to rekey and you don't need to use all the wafers for it to work.  You just need to match a couple of the wafers to your key and it will work fine.  That's what I did on mine.

• Plus 1 1
17 hours ago, Woodchips said:

Not yet, a couple of other priorities keep getting in my way😔. Ill post when I get it sorted. 🛵

When you get around to it , save my number and I’d be happy to help you out .

here’s a link to a removal video on that exact case . 

Al 

559-288-1490 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Tri750 said:

When you get around to it , save my number and I’d be happy to help you out .

here’s a link to a removal video on that exact case . 

Al 

559-288-1490 

Great video showing thieves how to pop our locks.

• Thinking 1
4 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Great video showing thieves how to pop our locks.

All “they” need is to spend $35 for the tool and have 15-25 minutes to figure out how to use it . Then “they” have to release or open the case with another tool. 

I’ve done it for 15 years or starting at a bmw dealership so I tend to do it a bit faster . 
realiy, there are faster ways to steal your beef jerky and dirty underwear by taking the whole case in seconds . 
No, I won’t tell about that .

• Haha 2

I made a "tool" from a "gem clip".  Do you have a pair of pliars, a gem clip, and can count to six??  If YES, you are hereby QUALIFIED.

There are seven "sliders"with springs.  The bottom one is the "keeper" that keeps the cylinder in the lock.  When you slide it over with the "tool" the cylinder slides right out.  The arrow points to the "keeper slider".  

image.thumb.png.f436c8ba7e7d69c5d83eb18725647523.png  

This is the "keeper" slider:

image.png.571836e2184b0eb2645e3f8e2854f7e8.png

When you push it over (like this) with the pointy end of the "tool", the cylinder will slide up and out.  Don't worry about the other sliders.

image.png.f39925e1a9330bfd2b4713c8ecf13767.png

image.thumb.png.b4448ad3b5ff915d3f3bb21c4d99d6b0.png

This is a sharpie mark at 22.5mm so I'll know how deep to go.  You can feel the slider with the end of the "tool", push it sideways and gently pull up.  If it won't come out you either aren't "on" the slider or pushed it too far or not far enough.  

Once you get it out it's not hard to re-key it yourself.

This is what the cylinder looks like with the correct key in it.  All the sliders are flush on both sides (except for the keeper at the bottom) which allows the cylinder to rotate and unlock your beer.

image.png.4333b950e1a5f56718b6683f0d7dde69.png

This is what the cylinder looks like with NO key:

image.png.1437b62f90ae565b94ad2f5d991b2751.png

This key "code" is 221122.  "H" is the keeper, "G" not used.

The sliders will readily come out alternating sides and can be swapped all around, OR left out completely (as szurszewski said above)

CAUTION:  there is a tiny spring pushing each slider (and the keeper) in these holes.  If your lockset is VERY CLEAN like this one is, that spring can launch the slider as you pull the cylinder out.

image.png.52153da3870dcf12f5c532c02e8b27fa.png

ALL the pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/38jzUkW9spfCmnF77

Sadly , none of all your posting applies to the System 2 locks . Or most of the 1150 locks either . 

The lock wafer was updated before the 1150 came out to a 3 sided wafer intentionally making removal much more difficult . 

the System 2 cases (laser cut/side cut)  with the internals being mainly plastic just made removal harder . 

865EA283-2FC0-4324-815B-97E36F0C79D8.jpeg

• Sad 1