IGNORED

gs 911

jetengine

So I have a 2021 1250 gs. 13000 mile. so far I haven't needed the gs 911, only need to reset my service interval. I can see that this is probably going to be an essential tool. Very expensive though. does anyone know of an alternative? Also does anyone know if the gs911 works on other vehicles? I wish that BMW would have simply programed a few buttons to reset the service interval, like every other vehicle on the planet does.

Also I am setting up to do the valve clearances, thanks to Boxflyer's videos, I checked into replacement gaskets needed for that job. Also very expensive. Was wondering if anyone has done this job and reused the gaskets with no issues. 

Thanks , Jetengine

Don't need to replace the gaskets.  GS911 is a great tool but there is another option with the Motoscan app. You'll need to do a Google search as I don't use Motoscan but I know that you can reset the service indicator with it.  Seems like it's only Android as well.

As @MikeB60 said…no need to replace the large outer rubber/metal valve cover seal, or the smaller inner spark plug tunnel seal unless you find damage. 

A tip from experience is to re-install the lower rubber “bump stop” at the bottom of the cam bearing cap before placing the large outer valve cover seal. If you put the large outer seal on first, you can’t engage the 2 small protruding fingers onto the lower rim of the head casting and then pivot the “bump stop” up to catch in the rectangular opening formed by the bearing cap and head. 

+1 to Mike and Brad. 

For personal convenience at 27k miles, I chose to let dealer check valves and flush brakes. About $110 for each service, EXCEPT they replaced gaskets both sides at retail price of $162+tax !  So, the 4 unnecessary gaskets ended up being the most expensive part of the service! I approved price in advance without looking at estimate so I'll chalk that up to a learning experience 😃.