IGNORED

Texas Big Bend

clubman

I'll be driving from las Vegas heading to Florida on I-10 in a couple of weeks towing a couple of bikes. Weather permitting I'd like to stop along the way and spend a day or two riding the Big Bend area. Looking for a good place to base along the way, decent motel , place to eat etc. and reasonably close to the best riding. Thanks for any ideas.

John Ranalletta
43 minutes ago, clubman said:

I'll be driving from las Vegas heading to Florida on I-10 in a couple of weeks towing a couple of bikes. Weather permitting I'd like to stop along the way and spend a day or two riding the Big Bend area. Looking for a good place to base along the way, decent motel , place to eat etc. and reasonably close to the best riding. Thanks for any ideas.

Texas members here are your best bet like @Skywagon @Yeeha Stephen 

There aren't many ideal places to stay close to BB.  We stayed in Alpine, about an hour away from the park.  You might consider Chisos Mountain Lodge in the park proper to eliminate lots of driving. https://www.nationalparkreservations.com/booking/step2.php

Have a great trip.

I did something similar about 2 years ago.  We found a place called “Longhorn Ranch.”  It looks kind of sketchy, but it was actually just fine.  And it turned out that the restaurant on site was really good.  And there was plenty of space for a truck and trailer.  We unloaded the bikes, and spent a few nights there.  The riding is somewhat limited in the park.  Be sure you take the in-and-out road to Chisos Basin.

longhornranchmotelandrv.com

There are a few motels in the Study Butte / Terligua area which is reasonably close to the park.

Probably the best paved ride in the area is FM 170 (River Road) between Presido and Study Butte.

Gage Hotel in Marathon Texas is pretty nice with some history and some uniqueness.  Alpine Texas is where we usually stay.  There is the usual chain of hotels like Hampton Inn and many others.  A pretty nice place to stay is Terlingua Ranch Lodge and Resort in guess where....Terlingua.  It's west Texas so it's not all that luxurious.  Stop by the town of Marfa at night if you can.  If you catch it right there will be a night time phenomenon like the Northern Lights.  

Not that you will driving that fast pulling bikes, but the speed limit out there is 85mph.  If you doing much less than that you might get run over...kidding...sort of.

Leaving the area and headed East towards Florida you will have a couple of choices.  You take hwy 67 North to I-10 or drop down south to hwy 90 which will be more small towns.

DO NOT VENTURE OVER THE BORDER to Mexico right now.  As I am sure you have seen on the news it is crazy there right now.  It's dangerous.  

John Ranalletta
4 hours ago, clubman said:

OK thanks , I'll map that out.

Regretfully, the water level of the Rio Grande was too low for rafting Santa Elena canyon during our visit.  It was featured in an Anthony Bourdain episode. Don’t miss the canyon even if you only ride to the river and climb the overlook. 

plenty of YT vids of BB but here’s a short one from our trip. I think it’s fairly represents most of the riding.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, MichiganBob said:

And if your up to it, bring your walking shoes. Some of tthe walking trails are spectacular and memorable. Love that place.

Bring hiking boots/shoes, not ordinary walking shoes. Some of the trails are a bit rugged.