IGNORED

R850RT factory alarm removal

dan cata

Hello all, 

It's been awhile since I posted here, years even :) 

I have to start a r850rt, the servo brakes one. The bike had an alarm, or alarm harness, which the owner removed. The bike started prior to removal, but now, it only spins the motor, but the fuel pump does not prime. 

I remember  I did this a couple of years ago, but I really do not remember how I did it... 

Is there a topic with pics perhaps that can help? 

Missed you all, 

Dan. 

IMG_20230112_205525.jpg

2 hours ago, dan cata said:

Hello all, 

It's been awhile since I posted here, years even :) 

I have to start a r850rt, the servo brakes one. The bike had an alarm, or alarm harness, which the owner removed. The bike started prior to removal, but now, it only spins the motor, but the fuel pump does not prime. 

I remember  I did this a couple of years ago, but I really do not remember how I did it... 

Is there a topic with pics perhaps that can help? 

Missed you all, 

Dan. 

Afternoon Dan 

I have done only one alarm removal as there are not many used on USA BMW motorcycles. The one I did was years ago so just have a fuzzy memory of what was required. 

I found an alarm install manual/diagram (those are/were not available from BMW separately).  I used the install manual to reverse the install procedure. I haven't seen my install diagrams for years but I seldom throw anything out so I probably still have it somewhere in my shop. 

If the engine cranks on yours then you are part way there as that part is is OK & doesn't need addressing.

If I remember correctly (that is up for debate) there are three connectors (one was at the starter, one was controlling the fuel pump, and one under the tank (I think for Motronic or relay cutout or some part of that circuit).

I barely remember but I (think) the fuel pump was just a plug-in between the motorcycle harness & the fuel pump. 

If I run across my install directions before you figure it out I will give you a PM. 

Probably your best help will come from someone in or around Europe as a large number of those BMW motorcycles came with a factory alarm. 

Funny thing...

The owner removed the sidestand switch in the extended position... so the engine spins but does not start. Verified spark and there was none while cranking the engine, that is how I figured it out.

Dan.