IGNORED

Sargent Heated Seat Wiring Question

jdub53

I just bought a pair of used Sargent heated seats for my '13 RT and am hoping for assistance in how they are supposed to connect to the OEM wiring harness.

Below are pics of the connectors coming off of each seat; two wires for the rider's seat and four wires for the pillion which jives with both OEM seat connectors. If it's just as easy as me buying OEM connectors and splicing them onto the Sargent seat wires in place of what's already there, then I'm all set.

20230107_064950.thumb.jpg.f65d3c9517559c4ef1a207ac72a066a8.jpg20230107_064859.thumb.jpg.51e23a99d696d5856971f2f69f86e1a8.jpg

The big unknown to me though is the extra wiring that was provided with the Sargent seats (pic below).  This looks very homemade to me, includes a resistor, a cut-off 5 amp inline fuse, and has both seat connectors wired into the same harness. I find it hard to believe that Sargent would provide such an 'arrangement', unless this was provided/meant for an RT that didn't have OEM heated seats to begin with and was meant instead for direct connection to the battery. 

20230107_065319.thumb.jpg.528ec47fb6a56f2b35cb5fdc5699b96d.jpg

Thanks for any help.

bruce2000ltc

I think you're right, that harness is for an RT that didn't come with heated seats.

I looked at the Sargent seat on my '13RT and the color of the wires on the Sargent seat match the the wire colors on the RT seat connection harnesses front and rear.  Match color to color with connection plugs and you're good to go.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, bruce2000ltc said:

I think you're right, that harness is for an RT that didn't come with heated seats.

I looked at the Sargent seat on my '13RT and the color of the wires on the Sargent seat match the the wire colors on the RT seat connection harnesses front and rear.  Match color to color with connection plugs and you're good to go.

Thanks for the reply.

Because it appears I'll only need new connectors which will mate with my RT's heated seat wiring, does anyone know of an online source for such connectors?  I may drop by my dealer next week to check there, but not confident they'll have these because it's likely not something they'd need to stock.

1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

Thanks for the reply.

Because it appears I'll only need new connectors which will mate with my RT's heated seat wiring, does anyone know of an online source for such connectors?  I may drop by my dealer next week to check there, but not confident they'll have these because it's likely not something they'd need to stock.

Morning jdub53

You will need both the connectors & the terminals. You might be able to get the terminals from the BMW motorcycle dealer  but you will probably have to take a sample in to show them (or know exactly what they look like) as they typically have no way to look them up  by make & model. I seriously doubt they would have, or be able to source, the connectors. I have had very poor luck sourcing any stand alone connectors  from a BMW motorcycle dealer as most are not in the parts manual & usually no stand-alone parts numbers. 

Same with on-line, if you can find a part number, or know EXACTLY what you are looking for looks like, then the with a LOT of research you might be able to match the connectors up to what you need. 

When it comes to BMW connectors & terminals I have had my best luck in sourcing them from a BMW car dealer. In most cases BMW doesn't source new or strange connectors for the motorcycle side as they try to use something that already exists in the BMW system. 

The problem with the BMW auto dealer approach is they won't be able to look them up by make, model or fitment so you need a friendly parts counter person that will take a little time to look through their connector stock & try to match them up for you.    

You will probably need to take a mate, or a sample, of the connectors that you need in with you then go into the BMW auto dealer at a very slow time at the parts counter. They most likely have a connector that will work, the problem is in finding it in their stock. Once the connectors are found then they can usually easily  match the terminals needed to the connectors. 

Added: does the replacement  Sargent heated seat have the built-in rear seat control switch? If not then you will have to figure something out for that also. 

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming what I suspected about finding the connectors/terminals at my BMW motorcycle dealership, @dirtrider. Good idea about trying a BMW car dealer though, and I'll give that a try at the dealer nearest me.

I've decided first to just use the Sargent seats with no heat until I confirm I like the Sargent better than the OEM seat, which only started bothering me about 275 miles into a ride this past week. Thanks to the mild weather we've been having I should be able to get that done next week. If I find I like the Sargent better but can't find terminals and connectors compatible with the OEM plugs on the bike, the simplest thing is for me to just fit new, generic QD connectors to both the Sargent seats and the OEM bike wiring. I can then sell the OEM seats with their OEM connectors intact. 

The Sargent pillion seat does indeed have the three-position toggle switch as shown on the Sargent website (same place the rocker switch sits on the OEM seat).

I bought a Sargent seat a month ago for my 19RT and Sargent has the right connectors for it already installed.  Might want to try them and see if they have ones for your bike.  

• Like 1

I just put sargent heated seats on an r1200rt without heat from the factory.  I used a dual remote controller for heated clothes from gerbing.  I just spliced in the controller wires with posi-taps.  It works great and I have infinate control instead hi and low.

• Like 2

Repair Plug, 2-Pin - No 610619 - BMW-Motorrad (83300402344)

$18. Worth a try. Most BMW dealers will order this for you or just use one of the online stores like MAX. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Limecreek said:

Repair Plug, 2-Pin - No 610619 - BMW-Motorrad (83300402344)

$18. Worth a try. Most BMW dealers will order this for you or just use one of the online stores like MAX. 

Thanks @Limecreek, sounds like that'll work for the rider seat. The pillion seat uses a four-pin plug though (I'm assuming two wires for power and two wires for the rider's info display to show which heat setting is selected). Any idea of the P/N for that plug?   

2 hours ago, jdub53 said:

Thanks @Limecreek, sounds like that'll work for the rider seat. The pillion seat uses a four-pin plug though (I'm assuming two wires for power and two wires for the rider's info display to show which heat setting is selected). Any idea of the P/N for that plug?   

That one is a little bit more expensive $52.

Adapter Wire, Seat Heater, Pillion Seat - BMW-Motorrad (61127688147)

2005-2023 BMW-Motorrad - 61127688147

Again, you can order online through MaxBMW or through the online BMW Motorrad site.  https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/

Some splicing and soldering should get you what you need assuming the correct plug fitment.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Limecreek said:

That one is a little bit more expensive $52.

Adapter Wire, Seat Heater, Pillion Seat - BMW-Motorrad (61127688147)

2005-2023 BMW-Motorrad - 61127688147

Again, you can order online through MaxBMW or through the online BMW Motorrad site.  https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/

Some splicing and soldering should get you what you need assuming the correct plug fitment.

Morning  Limecreek

Isn't that the adapter Cable between rear seat chassis connector & the rear seat connector?  If so then it would have the chassis side connector  & female connector pins in it?   The OEM seat connector (one mounted on the seat) uses staggered male terminal pins.

I suppose it could be hardwired to the rear seat then unplugged at the chassis when rear seat removal is necessary  leaving the long pig tail on the seat.

I have a - 61127688147 adapter cable in my shop somewhere but I will darned if I can find it at the moment to check to see if the chassis side connector will plug into the seat side connector. 

jdub53, you might try that with your stock adapter cable, see if the seat end will plug into the chassis end,  if so then the $52.00 adapter chassis end can probably be used for your replacement seat end. 

$52.00 is a LOT to pay for a simple connector with terminals. 

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Limecreek

Isn't that the adapter Cable between rear seat chassis connector & the rear seat connector?  If so then it would have the chassis side connector  & female connector pins in it?   The OEM seat connector (one mounted on the seat) uses staggered male terminal pins.

I suppose it could be hardwired to the rear seat then unplugged at the chassis when rear seat removal is necessary  leaving the long pig tail on the seat.

I have a - 61127688147 adapter cable in my shop somewhere but I will darned if I can find it at the moment to check to see if the chassis side connector will plug into the seat side connector. 

jdub53, you might try that with your stock adapter cable, see if the seat end will plug into the chassis end,  if so then the $52.00 adapter chassis end can probably be used for your replacement seat end. 

$52.00 is a LOT to pay for a simple connector with terminals. 

You may be right DR, I really don't know for sure.  If it were me, for $52, I'd just wire up the passenger seat with a home made solution, but at least the BMW harness option gives jdub a few things to investigate. 

bruce2000ltc

If you want BMW plugs just cut them off the original seats and splice them in...that's what I did.  When I sell the bike I'll splice them back on to the original seats and sell the Sargent seats.

39 minutes ago, bruce2000ltc said:

If you want BMW plugs just cut them off the original seats and splice them in...that's what I did.  When I sell the bike I'll splice them back on to the original seats and sell the Sargent seats.

Evening Bruce

I think his plan is to sell the OEM seats if he likes the Sargent seats.   From jdub53's posting above--  (I can then sell the OEM seats with their OEM connectors intact.) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

Thanks for that. Only downside is two months for shipping, but handy info to have.

Morning jdub53

But it does give you some nice clear pictures to show to the parts counter person at a BMW auto dealer.  

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions, but I now have my path figured out. While at an auto parts store today picking up something else I found these weatherproof connectors for a total of $14. Couldn't pass them up, and I can splice them on as easily as I could genuine BMW connectors. And in case I decide not to keep the Sargent seats, returning these will be much simpler than anything else.

20230109_124941.jpg

20230109_125000.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions, but I now have my path figured out. While at an auto parts store today picking up something else I found these weatherproof connectors for a total of $14. Couldn't pass them up, and I can splice them on as easily as I could genuine BMW connectors. And in case I decide not to keep the Sargent seats, returning these will be much simpler than anything else.

Evening  jdub53

If you splice the new ones in parallel as well as keep the old connectors then you can switch to either seat & not have to remove anything in the future. (just plug in correct connector for the seat)

Connector.jpg

23 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening  jdub53

If you splice the new ones in parallel as well as keep the old connectors then you can switch to either seat & not have to remove anything in the future. (just plug in correct connector for the seat)

Connector.jpg

Now that's a great idea, and a perfect application for some Positaps I have on hand! Thanks dirtrider!