IGNORED

What do you look for (or expect) in a Motel/Hotel, while motorcycle touring?

Scott9999

I took what is becoming an annual Christmas trip to see my son, and his family (grandkids).  We decided not to push it by traveling at night, and booked a motel en-route.  Now, I'll admit, over the past couple of years, I've discovered that I just don't travel well.  I hate everything about the modern air travel experience.  I hate renting or borrowing vehicles for travel.  I just hate "dependency", and when you're away from home, you're depending on someone or something at every point.  Most of all, I hate the modern lodging industry.   No matter what I pay, or where I stay (i.e. well, for less than $250 a night, and frequently, less than $100), the accommodations are just, plain, bad.  From moldy bathrooms, dirty beds and floors, leaky plumbing, noisy appliances, just about everything is "crap" from one lodging to another.   Staying with relatives may or may not be better accommodations, but there's the whole host of other dependencies (i.e. like, just getting the meal you want, when you feel like it).   I guess I'm just becoming a cranky old man.

In the case of last December, I had to find a "motor motel" style place, because I couldn't risk parking the car in the middle of a vulnerable lot, to stay on the 3rd or 10th floor of a hotel, because of the Christmas presents, etc., that I had in it.  That limited me to some pretty dingy motels.   That had me thinking ahead to the travel this coming year that I hope to do on the RT (health, etc., permitting), and motels and hotels.

So, with this long winded wind up, the question:   What do you look for, for lodging while touring?   

Just any bed for a short night's sleep, and then back on the road?  A luxury hotel, i.e. the lodging and meals being a vital part of the touring experience for you?  Do you just prefer to camp whenever you can?   Do you use a network of fellow riders, preferring like company on the road?   Motor Inns over larger chain motels, or hotels?  (Youth hostels?  🤣🤣)

Just idle curiosity on my part.  

I traveled 100-150 days a year for over 20 years.  I have mileage on air carriers and hotel points to last a lifetime.  I still have over 2million miles left on United and I've used a lot.  I have over a 125 free Marriott days left so my travel for pleasure will be different than most.

With the wife...a JW Marriot on points.

By myself in car....a Marriot property on points

By bike...near a destination of the day.  I usually have to pay.  Probably 95% of the time I book a B&B.  You might find this a bit odd, but if no B&B and I have to pay...I look for a Holiday Inn Express because I would say more than 75% of the time they let me park my bike in their lobby where it is safe and always dry.

• Like 2

Traveling on the bike I'm usually worn out at the end of the day, just want a decent place to quit moving, and is available on relatively short planning (like a call 3 or 4 hours, or less, before I get there). I try to stay at ok chain motels, Quality inn, Comfort inn, etc. minimum. Super 8s and Econo inns are not great, often bad, but if the only port in a storm, they'll do. I try to avoid the sketchy motor inns.

I take everything I care about out of the bags so no worries about theft there, and have not had any issues with the bike being messed with in many years of traveling.

Like everything else, all decisions are economic. If I'm out for many days or more, $250 a night starts to add up, I try to keep it down to $100 or less if possible, although an occasional splurge on a nice place is welcome once in a while.

No camping. Ever. Not my thing.

Sometimes a mom and pop can be a gem. Sometimes a dump.

I often don't plan my trips very well, more of a fly by the seat of my pants, so at the mercy of the hotel gods often.

My wife and I prefer to travel alone, so we are on our own schedule. With friends, the itinerary is usually a little more thought out.

A timely post as we are planning a trip around Lake Superior this summer with two other couples, the plans will be planned a little tighter, or at least I'll be doing quite a bit of research on what to expect, and sites that are a must see (at least one maritime museum and other stops).

One last thing to think about while traveling by motorcycle: sometimes weather decides your actions, and forces a rethink of plans and extending the trip due to making slower progress, or just waiting it out for a day. Maybe even turning back toward home and trying again another time.

Don't over ride your endurance. Plan to stop earlier than you think is necessary. Your body, and safety, will thank you. If traveling with your wife, be aware of her comfort and endurance as well. I like to plan to be at my hotel by 6pm, that gives me a couple hours of light to find another place to lodge if there is an issue.

Planning your ride is fun, poring over maps and routes, gets the blood going.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

I like mom and pop motels with good reviews, outdoor entry, first floor. We want our bikes right outside the door. Ease of loading and unloading and for doing a little maintenance and checking the bike. These places usually have rags and a pail, soap, and hose.

Then outside goes the chairs, boubon and cigars and the day in review, plans for tomrrow, and tall tales.

Nice when you can walk from there to a restaurant, and get in those steps after a long day on the saddle.

• Like 3

If just I am on the bike, I aim for a hotel/motel within walking distance to a local eatery (almost NEVER eat at a chain while on the road, preferring to support the independent business).   I almost never book ahead on my own unless a holiday weekend.  

If my wife is with me, we aim for Hampton Inns.  I leave the bike under the overhang (i have stopped asking, just leave it there).  Consistent quality and cleanliness, and after a while, enough points for a free night.  

Last year, buddy and I rode for a few days in Vermont and NY state, and he booked couple private places that were just fine.  I did like having the bike outside the door, but it wasn't under any protection, and the morning rain made for a wet start.

I agree the industry is getting pricey, but everything is rising, including our retirement investments.  I figure we are riding pricey bikes, and the cost of a hotel isn't something I'm willing to let ruin my trip.  I have become aware of those folks working behind desks and serving in local restaurants as people who often get the worst of the worst in travelers, and have made it my mission to be kind and generous to them.  

A perfect riding day solo;   long day on back roads, light traffic, about 60 degrees.  Come into a small town and find a Waffle House with an independent one story hotel next to it.  Shower, clean up, walk to Waffle House, sit at counter and talk with cook (steak, eggs, toast, juice is PERFECT supper).  Tip the server $20, walk back to hotel, crash).   

A perfect day with my wife with me;  3-400 miles, no highways or cities, but many small towns in back roads, at least one long stretch of roads where my pillion will say 'go 100!' and I oblige.   (small town libraries have the cleanest bathrooms for my pillion).   Stop along some random bridge over a stream and eat a sandwich and snacks for lunch.   Get to hotel late afternoon hopefully Hampton Inn.  Walk to a nice restaurant and map the next day routing, back to hotel.   

Sorry for the ramble=it's 30 degrees, drizzle, windy and a few more months before we can get on the bike again, and living on sites like this keep me sane.  And hopeful  

• Like 5

I have been riding for more than 20 years with a group of guys, and we have evolved rules for places to stay.  First, we only reserve ahead on the first night of a multi-day adventure.  Because we are never quite sure where we will end up after that.  We have a general plan about where we will ride over the course of the next week or more, but weather and road construction and random synapse firings dictate where we actually go.

Also, we have a rule that we never ride after drinking.  So, our lodging rule is to ride each day until we are getting tired, then find a craft brewery in some town within the next 50-100 miles.  Then circle around until we find the cheapest motel within walking distance.  In 20+ years of moto touring, we have never failed to find a place to stay towards the end of the day.  And a few, very few, of those places were memorable for being real shit holes.  But many many more of those oddball places were memorable for being cheap and friendly and for the great times we had together.

And that’s the whole point, after all.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
1 hour ago, Cap said:

I have been riding for more than 20 years with a group of guys, and we have evolved rules for places to stay.  First, we only reserve ahead on the first night of a multi-day adventure.  Because we are never quite sure where we will end up after that.  We have a general plan about where we will ride over the course of the next week or more, but weather and road construction and random synapse firings dictate where we actually go.

Also, we have a rule that we never ride after drinking.  So, our lodging rule is to ride each day until we are getting tired, then find a craft brewery in some town within the next 50-100 miles.  Then circle around until we find the cheapest motel within walking distance.  In 20+ years of moto touring, we have never failed to find a place to stay towards the end of the day.  And a few, very few, of those places were memorable for being real shit holes.  But many many more of those oddball places were memorable for being cheap and friendly and for the great times we had together.

And that’s the whole point, after all.

This is pretty close to my experience whether solo or when my wife joins in. We do camp often on bike trips, but sometimes weather, location or a need to get moving quickly in the morning (packing up camp takes time needed to make miles) dictates a room instead. On a bike trip, our hotel/motel criteria is far different than when on a car trip or flying trip. We will look for something with a good pub nearby if possible for food and beverage, it needs to be clean - older and a bit worn is fine so long as it is not dirty. Our other travel usually ups the ante for hotel selection as we are then typically booking ahead and possibly using some form of reward points. Those have ranged from some of the worlds best hotels to more basic offerings. One factor that will weigh in for the selection on a bike trip is an included breakfast. It's not a must have, but between two comparable options, it will tip the scales. I have stayed in a few rather questionable quality establishments when necessity dictated and it was the only option available. I didn't die or get any diseases from those experiences, but they were certainly not ideal.

• Like 2

Went on a 12 state western tour this past summer. My riding partner, a shall we say “avid cheapskate” and I decided to alternate picking and paying for the night’s hotel. We added each other’s total $ amount together at the end of the trip, divided it by two and that’s what each rider owed. No reservations were made.

I chose Holiday Inn Express/Marriott/Comfort Inn types of hotels and park right up front without permission. Never had a problem. He chose Motel 6/Super 8/park in front of room mom and pop types. Some overnight cities were very large and some were very small and rural. 
At the end…$20 difference. My hotels were nicer, most offered free breakfast,  better restaurants and bars within walking distance etc. A nice clean room, good hot shower etc means the world to me after riding all day. 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1

The Motel 6/Super 8 chains are not really a deal anymore compared to the others, the prices have crept pretty high, definitely worth the Holiday Inn style rooms for the price.

In my younger days on bike rides we would take a large poly tarp and sleeping bags, find a pasture, orchard, median.  One of our favorites was an abandoned stable just off the BRP.  Everyone got their own "room".  We regularly stayed first night at Vogle State Park on US 19 and Wolf Pen Gap, arriving late, sneaking in, sleeping on picnic tables under a shelter and leaving early. 

One weekend my riding buddy wanted something different so we rode up to Cloudland Canyon State Park in NW GA.  Got there late, pitch dark, and the only structure anywhere around were two picnic tables on a tiny concrete pad sitting on top of a knoll, no trees anywhere.  We decided the best place to sleep would be under the tables to keep the dew off the bags and gear, he got one and I got the other.  There wasn't any room under the timber picnic tables with the benches and bracing but just enough to lie down.  We peeled off down to skivvies, threw the clothes and gear under one end and crawled in our bags from the other.  Slept great until the next morning.  Daylight, cars and trucks driving up, families with youg children running all around and the crowd was growing by the minute.  Finally I had to get up.  I'll never forget all the open mouths staring at me when I stood up in my Jockey breifs.  It got real quiet real quick, too.  They had no idea we were under the tables but wondered about the bikes parked nearby.  It was a yearly HAM radio gettogether and they had radios set up on the tables and trying to raise an antenna.  Found my clothes, got dressed in front of the madding crowd, and someone handed me a cup of coffee.  Good times.

Several years back I got an offer thru work for a Choice Hotels 15% discount.  Choice Hotels is everything from Ascend to Econolodge, but I usually don't go "below" a Comfort Inn, usually a Comfort Suites.  It includes all the options, points, gifts, etc of the full price plan.  I have a gazillion points that I use for fun.  Newer, consistantly good, clean to very clean, breakfast, quick, and everywhere.

The one catch is I have to make a reservation online or by phone and use my discount code.  The best part is I can make the reservation by phone as late as standing at the counter of the hotel (no lead time requirements).   They have other promos like "stay two nights and get a free night" available, too.  I don't get to park the bike IN the lobby like Skywagon does but next to the front door, under the roof in full view if the front desk.  

I do like the Mom 'n Pop motels, too, on group rides.  One of the best examples is The Oak Park Inn in "downtown" Waynesville, NC, "the group" stayed at in early November.  A bakery under the main office, HUGE rooms, very reasonable rates, park in front of your door, walking distance to a bunch of resturants and one superb resturant!!  The husband and wife owners were returning from a cruise the last evening there, we helped them unload and carry their bags in, then bragged about how great their staff were while they were gone.  Memorable.  

Edited by Lowndes
  • Like 5
RandyShields

Pretty simple:  reasonable cost, free parking on the same first floor level as the room, comfy bed, refrigerator and coffee maker in room, ice nearby, walking distance to a nice restaurant that serves beer/wine.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
17 hours ago, Lowndes said:

The one catch is I have to make a reservation online or by phone and use my discount code.  The best part is I can make the reservation by phone as late as standing at the counter of the hotel (no lead time requirements).   They have other promos like "stay two nights and get a free night" available, too.  I don't get to park the bike IN the lobby like Skywagon does but next to the front door, under the roof in full view if the front desk.  

Not sure it's still the same, but in the 80s, I traveled a sales territory and hardly ever knew where I'd end up for the night.  Often, I'd approach the desk clerk only to be told there were no vacancies, then, I'd call the hotel chain's 800#, reserve a room and check in.  I believe hotels "reserved" rooms for the 800# reservations.  Never failed.

Jump to the 6 minute mark.  Rougarou would have this place fixed up in about 2 weeks time.  He might have to buy the wife some new tools:19:

• Haha 3
16 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Jump to the 6 minute mark.  Rougarou would have this place fixed up in about 2 weeks time.  He might have to buy the wife some new tools:19:

Funny you should mention "new" tools for the wife.  She found some scaffolding (enough for four sections it looks like from the pictures, couldn't do on-site inspections) at an online estate auction in Danville, Va that I'm heading out today to pick up,......along some other stuff. 

Memba I said I stacked some paint cans on a stairway to level the ladder some years ago and gravity did a weird thing causing a collapse,....now I'm finally replacing that ladder;)  That bluetooth speaker is new in the box and $200 on amazon,....I just had to bid on that thing, it'll prolly go in the barn, ya know, soothe the horses with some Pantera or something!!

image.thumb.png.3e9f2acbf6754f2b0dc2c8176d81e7d0.png

I did loose out on a purple martin house :classic_mellow: I was really hoping to get.

Anyway, we've got 36-38ft of siding to complete on the house and the wife is itching to finish it up, this last bit of scaffolding will get us to that elevation, and we'll likely be pulling vinyl and cedar siding this weekend and wrapping the house.  Once we get this last section done,.....all the scaffolding will be up for sale.

• Plus 1 1

Richard.. when you take most of the danger out (paint cans), it’s not going to be near as much fun. Kind of like riding fast. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Richard.. when you take most of the danger out (paint cans), it’s not going to be near as much fun. Kind of like riding fast. 

So true, so true.....but breaking stuff don't come cheap.  I'm free to fix, but those inanimate objects, I don't much like spending money on

18 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

.but breaking stuff don't come cheap. …those inanimate objects, I don't much like spending money on

Wow, you brought it full circle to TEWKS’ video.  Well done.

• Smile 1

If the weather cooperates, I like to camp in the lesser-used places, which also means there are few amenities, and seldom a shower. On long trips I'll find a motel at least every third or fourth day. Once a week, it's nice to find a place with a washer/dryer on premises.  

6 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Funny you should mention "new" tools for the wife.  She found some scaffolding (enough for four sections it looks like from the pictures, couldn't do on-site inspections) at an online estate auction in Danville, Va that I'm heading out today to pick up,......along some other stuff. 

Memba I said I stacked some paint cans on a stairway to level the ladder some years ago and gravity did a weird thing causing a collapse,....now I'm finally replacing that ladder;)  That bluetooth speaker is new in the box and $200 on amazon,....I just had to bid on that thing, it'll prolly go in the barn, ya know, soothe the horses with some Pantera or something!!

image.thumb.png.3e9f2acbf6754f2b0dc2c8176d81e7d0.png

I did loose out on a purple martin house :classic_mellow: I was really hoping to get.

Anyway, we've got 36-38ft of siding to complete on the house and the wife is itching to finish it up, this last bit of scaffolding will get us to that elevation, and we'll likely be pulling vinyl and cedar siding this weekend and wrapping the house.  Once we get this last section done,.....all the scaffolding will be up for sale.

Umm... does she have any unmarried sisters, who wouldn't mind being a second wife??  🤔

(Nevermind, the wife just walked in and nixed the idea.)

(On the other hand, the wife just found out about the stuff your wife does, and after being dragged into our "long march" house build in 2016, she's warming to the idea ...).

:4323:

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

So true, so true.....but breaking stuff don't come cheap.  I'm free to fix, but those inanimate objects, I don't much like spending money on

Well, there's breaking stuff, and then there's the re-do stuff, like when you put your fist through the bathroom wall in anger when the building stuff goes sidewise, ummm... like several times, before you immediately march your ass down to the garage to grab the wallboard scrap and drywall mud to fix it, under the silent, fuming eye of the wife.

(Nope, never happened to me.  Honest injun.  I just heard about it.  BOY, did I hear about it.  🙄😖)

Yeah, them "building mistakes" can be a pain in the butt.

1 hour ago, Scott9999 said:

Umm... does she have any unmarried sisters, who wouldn't mind being a second wife??  🤔

(Nevermind, the wife just walked in and nixed the idea.)

(On the other hand, the wife just found out about the stuff your wife does, and after being dragged into our "long march" house build in 2016, she's warming to the idea ...).

:4323:

Nah, they all married, but they don't get their hands dirty on DIY stuff,......but they sho can cook!!!

1 hour ago, Scott9999 said:

Well, there's breaking stuff, and then there's the re-do stuff, like when you put your fist through the bathroom wall in anger when the building stuff goes sidewise, ummm... like several times, before you immediately march your ass down to the garage to grab the wallboard scrap and drywall mud to fix it, under the silent, fuming eye of the wife.

(Nope, never happened to me.  Honest injun.  I just heard about it.  BOY, did I hear about it.  🙄😖)

Yeah, them "building mistakes" can be a pain in the butt.

The only sheetrock work I do is putting full boards up, she does the beautification even when I poke holes in the walls for various reasons (that paint can stacking debacle put a nice hole in the wall).  Anyway, be careful about popping those fist in sheet rock,.....you could find the stud you weren't looking for.

13 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Nah, they all married, but they don't get their hands dirty on DIY stuff,......but they sho can cook!!!

The only sheetrock work I do is putting full boards up, she does the beautification even when I poke holes in the walls for various reasons (that paint can stacking debacle put a nice hole in the wall).  Anyway, be careful about popping those fist in sheet rock,.....you could find the stud you weren't looking for.

RLOL, I BUILT that wall.  I knew were the studs were.  I also picked the place easiest to fix.  I may be stupid, but I ain't entirely dumb. 🙈🤣

• Smile 1

I really appreciate TEWKS video and I found it to be inspiring.  I like to motorcycle camp rather than motels but now, at least in these parts, campgrounds can have their issues.  People, in general, seem to have become unruly and just plain nasty towards each other.  I think a lot of this is caused by the proliferation of the me-me-me generation.  Oregon has an abundance of state parks and many of them are having issues.  The park rangers can attest to this.  Problems with campers are on the rise and some of the issues aren't pretty as so many young folks today defy authority and actually threaten violence against folks that they view as authoritarians.  In other words..."You CAN'T tell ME what to do".  I think society in general is going through changes that are not positive and I think it is having an impact on what used to be for me a very uplifting and pleasant experience that being touring on my motorcycle.  Oh, and these overpriced crapy motels just don't get it for me at all and even though I can well afford it I'm just not going to pay big bucks to stay in some dump of a motel.  

If I could turn back the clock to say.....1950 I would in a minute.  Hell, I'd even settle for 1970.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Hell, I'd even settle for 1970.

I agree ^, 1950 would leave me waiting at the bus stop of life for a little while. :classic_biggrin: 

32 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

1950 would leave me waiting at the bus stop of life for a little while

Me too… but I’d be closer to the front of the line than you😁

• Smile 1