IGNORED

R1150R custom mod scrambler, air filers, oil coolers, mods.

NovemberWhisky

NovemberWhisky

My r1150r has been off the road for a few years. would like to  mod it into scrambler type aesthetic. Early days and seeking advice.

Looking at some bikes with the external individual air filters. Any pros and cons with this? I’m going for the look. 

change the fuel tank - any other tanks compatible?

removal /reposition of the side oil coolers and switch to a single cooler.

custom seat - recover existing or change.

rear shock.

exhaust

cockpit

bars

front mudguard

,etc.

any ideas tips suggestions welcome 

this is the style I’m working towards-

76AB0EB4-0EB7-4FE3-8C3C-103EB3F71CFC.jpeg

5FCA8548-A44C-4664-8099-81402580F724.jpeg

• Like 1

My r1150r has been off the road for a few years. would like to  mod it into scrambler type aesthetic. Early days and seeking advice.

Looking at some bikes with the external individual air filters. Any pros and cons with this? I’m going for the look. 

change the fuel tank - any other tanks compatible?

removal /reposition of the side oil coolers and switch to a single cooler.

custom seat - recover existing or change.

rear shock.

exhaust

cockpit

bars

front mudguard

,etc.

any ideas tips suggestions welcome 

Morning NovemberWhisky

My r1150r has been off the road for a few years. would like to  mod it into scrambler type aesthetic. Early days and seeking advice.--- 

Looking at some bikes with the external individual air filters. Any pros and cons with this? I’m going for the look. --- You can do that but keep in mind that the engine crankcase vents (air with some oil) into the bottom of the existing air box. So you will have to come up with a new venting device to vent the crankcase into. 

The stock air box & long intake tubes are also part of the fueling tuning, it will run OK with separate air filters but it probably won't fuel correctly at some light throttle & light engine loading conditions.  You will also lose your shared intake IAT (Intake Air Temperature) input into the fueling computer. Some riders have done it but those motorcycles usually have some artifact fueling issues in some key operating ranges. 

change the fuel tank - any other tanks compatible?--- Sure, a lot of other tanks are compatible with enough work & fabrication. There is a pretty good sized fuel pump assembly inside the stock tank with an included fuel return so you will need a tank that fits & accepts that or you will need to come up with an aftermarket pump & build your own fuel supply/return system.  

removal /reposition of the side oil coolers and switch to a single cooler. --- You can do that as long as they remain in a decent air flow & flow enough oil to properly cool the engine. You can also go to a single oil cooler but if you get caught in stop & go traffic in very hot whether then you might have to deal with overheating problems. You can add a cooling fan to a single oil cooler but that kind of defeats the plan to keep it simple & smooth looking. 

custom seat - recover existing or change.--- Lots of options here, you make your own, have a seat company build you one, modify & recover your stock seat. You will probably need to decide on, then mount, the fuel tank you want BEFORE working on a proper fitting seat. 

rear shock.--- Again, lots of options on this but most will be costly. You probably need to define your budget first then shop around for what that budget will allow you to use.

exhaust--- Lost of options here also,  anything from a full custom hand built to an aftermarket, to a modified stock, to open pipes or something similar.  Are you choosing for looks or function? If for looks then the sky is the limit, if for function then that is more difficult as the BMW boxer twin is a 360° firing engine so most of the more open type exhaust systems don't sound very good on a stock BMW boxer.

cockpit

bars

front mudguard

,etc.__________    Lots of options here, you need to pick a theme (looks like you have something in mind) then work towards that look. It will probably keep changing as you see something that you like on another motorcycle, think of things to change, or don't like the look of where your motorcycle is going. 

It probably also depends on what you are going to use the motorcycle for. If just a bar to bar toy or bike night toy then you can go crazy with looks & gadgets. If you want to ride it in the rain, travel on it, ride it down dirt roads when a road suddenly changes to dirt or gravel, or ride it in cold weather then that typically demands a different accessory & fender approach. 

• Like 1