IGNORED

Got cold outside, idle went up

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

Hello, happy colder cheerful/sad time of year. 
lots going on. 
04 R1100S twin spark 76k

its getting cold everywhere. Even here in Miami. Down in the low 50s!!! 

didn’t notice anything last night riding around., or this morning, but this afternoon I noticed at lights that the idle went up from about 1150ish rpm to now like 1300+ 

I don’t get out in much cold, can’t say ive noticed this on trips to the blue ridge in similar temps but, maybe this is normal? Semi normal anyway?

We will see if it persists.

potentially related, I’ve noticed over the last month or so that my fuel mileage has gone down a bit. 

thanks,

merry Christmas if you’re into that.

6 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

Hello, happy colder cheerful/sad time of year. 
lots going on. 
04 R1100S twin spark 76k

its getting cold everywhere. Even here in Miami. Down in the low 50s!!! 

didn’t notice anything last night riding around., or this morning, but this afternoon I noticed at lights that the idle went up from about 1150ish rpm to now like 1300+ 

I don’t get out in much cold, can’t say ive noticed this on trips to the blue ridge in similar temps but, maybe this is normal? Semi normal anyway?

We will see if it persists.

potentially related, I’ve noticed over the last month or so that my fuel mileage has gone down a bit. 

thanks,

merry Christmas if you’re into that.

Afternoon Hadabadachada

Not really normal to get much RPM increase in cold weather. Is you throttle cable just  a bit to tight? Is the choke (fast idle) fully off? 

Hadabadachada

I don’t have a “choke” cable. 
it feels like the left TB might be a little tight.

seems kinda weird it would happen just like that. 
maybe I gotta replace all them, sheesh.

I was hoping it would be something not so expensive 

18 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

I don’t have a “choke” cable. 
it feels like the left TB might be a little tight.

seems kinda weird it would happen just like that. 
maybe I gotta replace all them, sheesh.

I was hoping it would be something not so expensive 

Evening Hadabadachada

You should have a main cable adjuster up by the twist grip, if so then try adjusting that to put a little more slack in the main cable then see if that eliminates your cold-weather fast idle issue. 

Slight decrease in fuel mileage at this time of year could be explained by the change from “summer” gas to “winter” gas. More of the lighter, more volatile components in the formulation during the winter, less gasoline. I always see a drop in mpg during the winter.

• Plus 1 1
Hadabadachada

Good info.

maybe the gas.

sorry, I meant I don’t have the “choke”

cable because I’ve taken it off. 

im gonna loosen up the left TB cable, and balance it all out tomorrow, see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...
Hadabadachada

So I checked the cables, may be a little bit tight, but 1 or 2mm is very small so I think I’m good with that.
felt like the bike kinda came back down at idle when it was a little warmer, but still kinda up and down though depending on how the ride is going. Between moving and stop and go. Sometime it would be around 1300 going through traffic.

so I balanced the TBs, and brought the idle down with the BBS, seemed like I had to adjust the right side down a little more…interesting.

so it was back to 1050-1100, now it got cold again and I notice it going to like 1200rpm now.

im wondering what sensor might cause this? O2, air temp?  Kinda weird, something going on with this fuel delivery.

can’t imagine the TBs needing rebuilt again, I just did that last year. 

12 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

So I checked the cables, may be a little bit tight, but 1 or 2mm is very small so I think I’m good with that.
felt like the bike kinda came back down at idle when it was a little warmer, but still kinda up and down though depending on how the ride is going. Between moving and stop and go. Sometime it would be around 1300 going through traffic.

so I balanced the TBs, and brought the idle down with the BBS, seemed like I had to adjust the right side down a little more…interesting.

so it was back to 1050-1100, now it got cold again and I notice it going to like 1200rpm now.

im wondering what sensor might cause this? O2, air temp?  Kinda weird, something going on with this fuel delivery.

can’t imagine the TBs needing rebuilt again, I just did that last year. 

Morning  Hadabadachada

You can't totally count a sensor out but typically that kind of idle variation is due to tight throttle cables or  an air leak (vacuum leak)  into the intake between the throttle plate & intake valve. 

Could be an intake boot leak (are the clamps tight & the  boots leak free) or even a worn throttle shaft bushing and/or worn shaft in the bushing area (is there excess play in either side throttle shaft, usually R/H side)? 

With the engine warm & idling use an unlit propane torch, or other flammable gas then play that around on the intake boots & throttle shaft areas. If the RPM picks up there is a leak in that area, just keep in mind that most will have a slight intake leak in those areas so you need to define normal from excessive leakage. 

If you have some (REAL OLD) WD-40 you can use that instead of propane but WD-40 hasn't been very flammable for years now. 

Hadabadachada

I’ll have to give it a look, have not checked any of that stuff.

I just really started to think some kinda sensor since it keeps really showing when it gets cooler down here in Miami.

Hadabadachada

Weather is warmer so no idle issues, back to normal.

over the last month or two I’ve noticed my fuel economy all over the place. Typically pretty low, less than 30mpg, every so often a normal mid 30s which is typical for my riding.

That’s not too normal, curious why it’s like that…still works, keep going. 

Few days ago I was just cruising at 3500 rpm or whatever, steady, and the bike hiccuped, lost power then came back, weird….

yesterday I had the same thing happen, but this time bike died, I had to coast to a safe spot. 
Had to cycle the ignition a couple times before it would start again. It did, went home the slow way, no other hiccups.

definitely some kinda fuel issues going on.

I changed my oil temp sensor with a used one because of my starting issue. Since then I’ve only had that hard to start thing happen once. Usually cranks right up. Which is good, that’s what I want.

I have to change rear pads, and my final drive when that arrives, think I’m going to unhook the afexid thing a ma Bob and go straight stock O2 sensor, see if that makes any change.

I’m wondering if that chip is causing issues, or maybe the O2 sensor. 

still looking for a newer used boxer with less miles so….we will see

14 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

Weather is warmer so no idle issues, back to normal.

over the last month or two I’ve noticed my fuel economy all over the place. Typically pretty low, less than 30mpg, every so often a normal mid 30s which is typical for my riding.

That’s not too normal, curious why it’s like that…still works, keep going. 

Few days ago I was just cruising at 3500 rpm or whatever, steady, and the bike hiccuped, lost power then came back, weird….

yesterday I had the same thing happen, but this time bike died, I had to coast to a safe spot. 
Had to cycle the ignition a couple times before it would start again. It did, went home the slow way, no other hiccups.

definitely some kinda fuel issues going on.

I changed my oil temp sensor with a used one because of my starting issue. Since then I’ve only had that hard to start thing happen once. Usually cranks right up. Which is good, that’s what I want.

I have to change rear pads, and my final drive when that arrives, think I’m going to unhook the afexid thing a ma Bob and go straight stock O2 sensor, see if that makes any change.

I’m wondering if that chip is causing issues, or maybe the O2 sensor. 

still looking for a newer used boxer with less miles so….we will see

Evening  Hadabadachada

I would definitely disconnect the AF-XiED the re-hook the o2 sensor up, then see what that gets you as that could very well be your issue. At least a good place to start.