IGNORED

Why do you buy a new helmet?

Skywagon

Why buy a new helmet?

Age, dropped it, crash, stinky, worn, just want one. 

To give Randy back his thread, thought I should start a new one

I buy a new helmet when mine gets sloppy. As my Neotec ages it moved from new break-in tight to loose. I think the liner began to shrink too as the top of my head was starting to press on the top.  The helmet still looks nearly new but is too big now. My helmet lives in my house unless I am riding. I don’t subscribe to the 5 year replacement. My Neotec was probably close to 10 years old and 60,000 miles. 

When the insides become a little too worn and replacements are not enough.  4 to 5 years for me, depending on wear and tear. 

My full faced HJC lasted about 10 years.  I still have it (hoarder?) and tried it on recently for kicks.   Yeah, old.  I would still use it, but my new Schuberth E1 is prepped for comms and helmet cam.  The HJC was old school, basic.  Still have C4 that replaced my HJC.  :dontknow:

Actually, the main reason for a new helmet was to go the modular route.  Upgrade.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

29 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Why buy a new helmet?

I buy a new helmet when mine gets sloppy. As my Neotec ages it moved from new break-in tight to loose. I think the liner began to shrink too as the top of my head was starting to press on the top.  The helmet still looks nearly new but is too big now. My helmet lives in my house unless I am riding. I don’t subscribe to the 5 year replacement. My Neotec was probably close to 10 years old and 60,000 miles. 

Morning David

That is a darn good question, one that I really hadn't thought about before.

Over the last 50 years (I didn't wear a helmet much before the 70's) it has usually been a snap decision. 

I typically wear a helmet at least 10 years (usually longer), obviously it starts looking pretty ratty before the 10 years is up but I can't see it while wearing it so out-of-sight-out-of-mind. (this is also extremally good theft protection) 

My decision to replace is usually based on; when I happen on a new one that fits like my old one, will fit my com set-up securely,  has a strap system that is easy to use (unhook) one-handed if necessary, & somewhat resembles my old one. Plus it needs to be the correct color (same as ALL my old helmets).

Otherwise I just wear them until something catches my eye. I have never put much stock in relacing if, dropped, if in a light helmet bump, by age, by peer pressure due to looks or age, or fear it won't work  correctly. 

I have a number of helmets that I use throughout the year based on expected weather, or on-road, on-road long-distance, or off-road, or I will probably crash hard at least once for this off-road ride due to technical/very fast usage.

I generally follow the 5 year rule.  I average about 10000 miles per year so about 50000 miles over a 5 year period. Don't worry too much about drops, if there aren't any cracks in the shell it's most likely GTG. 

Well, I've bought two in the last 40 years of riding, both due to anticipation of riding where they are mandated. The new one is only 6 years old, so good to go for another 20 or more.

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I didn't mind the directions of the prior thread.  Just getting a conversation started, and conversations wander, so it is all good.  Should be getting the HJC and Shoei to try on in the next few days and will update.  

I buy a new one, when the last 4 or 5 I bought this year didn't work out, and I'm still falling back on a 15 year old helmet 'cause that's all I've got left ...

(Actually, because I haven't ridden a lot over the past 40 years - at least not like the rest of you, I generally end up getting a new helmet when I buy a new/used bike.)

14 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Yes to all of those - and also to your reason of the liner breaking in enough that the helmet becomes loose. So far I've found about five years of use is what I can expect from a helmet before it seems ready to be replaced. I usually have two to I switch between depending on the kind of riding I'm doing - currently it's an Arai and modular Scorpion, and I also have another not quite fully retired Scorpion that's "adventure style" - but I have not worn that in more than a year, so I'm not sure why it's still on the shelf...

Shoei's aren't cheap so I buy a new crown pad and cheek pads when the fit calls for it rather than replacing "all" of a perfectly good helmet, barring it's never been in an accident. Then it fits correctly again and I get another 2 or 3 years out of it. History's been that I replace the entire helmet in 6 - 7 years. I ride about 20,000 miles a year so that's 120 to 140,000 miles.

I sold helmets for year and learned most riders buy ones too big unless you show them how tight a correctly fitted helmet fits.