IGNORED

Mystery Brake Pads

Deesdesk

I purchased these brakepads from EBay. I bought them as a package (front and rear) for my '02 RT.  The back ones went on without a hitch. However, as soon as I took the front pads out I could tell that they were not the same shape (see attached photos).

I contacted the seller and he denied any responsibilty quoting that is what the manufacturer gave him for this bike and if I wanted to return them I'd have to pay for shipping. He even suggest that I might not have OEM calipers. To which I told he that they have BMW right on them. I even sent him pictures.  Regardless, he wouldn't budge, and shipping was going to cost more than I paid for the pads, so they've been kicking around my garage ever since.

I can't find any sort of cross reference chart to even figure out what type of bike they actually belong to.

Thinking maybe someone out there may have some resources that I'm not privy to.

Any help would be appreciated

IMG_7481.JPG

IMG_6831.jpg

IMG_7482.JPG

You might try contacting Sixity as their website still appears to be active. They show Returns and you can choose that you purchased from Ebay. The part on the pads do not come up in their search. Their number is 888-679-6279

Thanks,

I already tried their website, and sent them an email from their "Contact Us" portion of the website. 

I didn't get a response; that was back in the late spring.

and when I enter the sku #, I get 78 results for it, all for '02 BMWs on their website, but none of the photos look like the pads that were sent to me, most of them look like whats on my bike. Then again, when I click on any of the products, that particular sku does not show up. I don't know exactly what the issue is, I'm guessing that they must have gotten the wrong SKU# put on the package somehow at the factory.

At this point, I'm just trying to get rid of them; but I can't even post them on marketplace because I don't know what type of of bike they are supposed to go on.

Honestly, for what it's worth, I'll likely just toss them if I have to look at them much longer; not worth my effort. I just hate to waste a perfectly good set of pads that likely someone else could use.

Sounds like time to take the lump and order some pads from Beemerboneyard.  Tell them you are from this site, BMWST, and they sometimes give a discount.  Very good folks.  No affiliation.

• Plus 1 1

I have never had much luck using the "Contact Us" form on any website. I would call them. However looking through their website at all ceramic pads I came across pads that look like the ones in your picture, but they were for the rear brake systems on Suzuki and Kawaski and similar pads for ATVs shown as FA254. 

You do realize that this company sells the cheapest junk from China........not a surprise that it doesn't work, nor would I bet my life on their brake pads-YMMV:java:

• Like 1

I'd bet they fit a trashcan real well.  Don't throw 'em, they might not stop.  Walk over and dump 'em in.   Get some EBC Double-H pads from the cheapest source you can find.

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
16 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I'd bet they fit a trashcan real well.  Don't throw 'em, they might not stop.  Walk over and dump 'em in.  

That made me laugh!

I had a hard time finding pads online for my 2013 RT, several vendors I browsed at multiple shapes for front pads displayed. EBC's own website is useless.

Beemer Boneyard list FRONT: EBC Brake Pads 335HH for $80 and they look like the ops originals. I bought a set from Amazon for $64 DESPITE Amazons website warning that "!THis does not fit 2013 BMWR1200RT"!

If you click on "See parts that fit this vehicle" you see identicaly shaped pads by unheard of companies for as low as $25 a set. I've been a happy Amazon Prime buyer for years but they seem to be going to $hit lately.

• Plus 1 1
4 hours ago, lather said:

...I've been a happy Amazon Prime buyer for years but they seem to be going to $hit lately.

You "hit" the nail on the head.  They're going to $ lately.

• Like 1

I see this on their website:

image.thumb.png.5bcfbd11126dd38e7d9d406ae6593f32.png

Time to get on the horn and tell 'em to prove it.  "Don't tell me. SHOW me."

Get your money back and shop til you drop for the cheapest EBC Double H pads you can find.  

Look, you've got a BMW motorcycle.  Even used and with a bunch of miles on it, that BMW bike is worth several thousand, correct??  Why are you trying to go cheap on a little item that is your last line of defense in a bad situation and could very possibly save YOUR cheap butt AND the bike.  

Do you know how much money Howard Houghes left when he died??  Answer: ALL of it.  And none of us are getting out of this alive.

• Thinking 1

Well, I can see that I hit a few nerves...

At least I've given a few people something to do during those long winter evenings. Im sure the wives also appreciated the quiet time while some of you where otherwise distracted...

Thank you to those who provided constructive input.

Loundness' Sorry, "Lowndes' " comment about throwing them in the trash can did make me smile through.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey, at least it wasn't in ALL CAPS.

Let us know what you decided on and post some pics.  Remember, "Without pics it never happened."

Only thing worse than "Won't go" is "Can't stop".

With no way of figuring out what they actually fit, and even if I did, the likelyhood of finding some with that particular type of bike.  I've decided to cut my losses.

As per Lowndes' advise, I placed them carefully in the trashcan. I made sure there was no perpetual motion once I let go of them ;).

I'm sure they will make quality landfill!

I will go on the hunt for some "quality" pads as per the advise from my fellow BMW riders.

Merry Ho Ho to you ALL. We'll see ya in 2023!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Jumping on this thread, my rear pads are overdone and have a set of EBC organics on the way but I cannot find organics for the front discs????? I Agee on the whacky Amazon listings and the $15 pad sets straight from China albeit delivered by semi dirigibles airships...... ; ) 

I think I might just cave and get the sintered pads but I like the feel of the organics. Any luck finding oem spec replacements outside a BMW shop?

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, SD1 said:

Jumping on this thread, my rear pads are overdone and have a set of EBC organics on the way but I cannot find organics for the front discs????? I Agee on the whacky Amazon listings and the $15 pad sets straight from China albeit delivered by semi dirigibles airships...... ; ) 

I think I might just cave and get the sintered pads but I like the feel of the organics. Any luck finding oem spec replacements outside a BMW shop?

Afternoon SD1

Not much interest in organic front pads for the BMW hexhead bikes so there probably isn't much of a  market for them . Especially since the BMW hexhead ABS system is calibrated on the metallic pad friction coefficient. 

With the stainless steel front brake rotors it probably wouldn't take much high speed hard braking to glaze them.   

You could probably live with rear organics but I'm not sure that would hold true for the fronts.

My guess is that some or most of that "brake feel" that don't like is not due to the front brake pads but way more due to the  Stahlflex  brake hoses. The Stahlflex brake hoses are very stiff as far as pressure expansion goes so you lose some of that modulation window in the lever feel at moderate braking pressures.

Some riders (like myself) really notice those  Stahlflex stiff hoses when riding off-road (with ABS turned off) or doing things like stoppies, or other braking events that require holding the front braking friction right on the very fine edge of wheel lock-up for an extended distance.    That is a big reason that, personally, I keep & prefer rubber brake hoses on my off-road motorcycles. 

Thanks @dirtrider I went ahead and ordered the EBC sintered pads for the front, though the organic rears are already enroute. I generally stay off the rear lever but the previous rider, who also worked his magic on the clutch, killed the rear pads as well. Not sure the linked system would have burned it down as quickly, but maybe? The fronts still have 40-50%.

You are probably right, but the oem spec is organic? or at least says so in the owners manual, and I like that setup. Not a slow poke but not all out either, won't be doing any stoppies. The pads are pretty inexpensive so if I really have an issue I can go another route.  There are several favorable comments on the EBC sintered pads so should be fine. Thanks for the feedback.

10 minutes ago, SD1 said:

Thanks @dirtrider I went ahead and ordered the EBC sintered pads for the front, though the organic rears are already enroute. I generally stay off the rear lever but the previous rider, who also worked his magic on the clutch, killed the rear pads as well. Not sure the linked system would have burned it down as quickly, but maybe? The fronts still have 40-50%.

You are probably right, but the oem spec is organic? or at least says so in the owners manual, and I like that setup. Not a slow poke but not all out either, won't be doing any stoppies. The pads are pretty inexpensive so if I really have an issue I can go another route.  There are several favorable comments on the EBC sintered pads so should be fine. Thanks for the feedback.

Evening SD1 

I presume that you are working with your 1200RT? correct

My BMW parts book shows the front pads a sintered metallic.

When I had my 1150RT, I ordered a set of pads from the dealer. They were EBC. I installed them. They were very smooth. To my surprise they were gone at about 4000 miles. Dealer wouldn’t help. Called EBC and they were very helpful. I sent them a picture of the pads and the receipt. They said dealer sold me organic and they were too soft for the bike. They sent me new semi-metallic for free. The organic also covered my wheels in dust. I’ve been buying EBC ever since

• Like 2

You would have smoked Organic pads on the first downhill curvy road if you had sourced them for the front. Your P model came with HH sintered.

I smoked the sintered BMW stock pads on my Camhead during FART last fall.(I happily blame @twistyguy) When I got home and changed them, I found them to be FF rated, not the HH rated that were used on my "service" P models. YMMV

@9Mary7 I think you are probably right. I am already pushing it around. Once the new pads are in, all bets are off. I have about 40-45% left on the tires but they are fading fast  (pilot 4's) so will also be looking forward to fresh skins, probably roadsmarts.

Every time I get a new bike to me, I have this idea that I am mellow and responsible, and like clock work, after a couple of rides I get dialed on the bike and start riding like a nut. Thought I would be over it by now. In my defense, the bike loves to be hustled.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
10 hours ago, SD1 said:

so will also be looking forward to fresh skins, probably roadsmarts.

Morning SD 1

You might do a little more research on those  Roadsmart tires if you are going to push it hard. I ride pretty aggressively, late hard braking, late apex aggressive turn-in, high speed curves, etc. I do pretty well ride square corners so at least get even wear side to side.

Just my observation but I have had extremely poor tire wear with the Roadsmart tires, but every rider is different on different road surfaces so I'm not telling you not to use them, just research to see if you really think they are for your riding style.

I do know less aggressive riders that seem to like them & have had decent wear results.  

11 hours ago, SD1 said:

the bike loves to be hustled

When my work bike was upgraded to a 09 1200 from an 04 1150, I found that my speed through turns was faster and I needed to adjust to the greater capabilities as a matter of self-preservation......Enjoy:cool:

@dirtrider I had the 3's on my last RTP, I only rode them for about 1k miles but thought they were great. Granted they replaced well worn pilot 4's. This bike has pilot 4's and they are still in pretty good shape (but date code is 5 years out), still think the road smarts were a good tire. At the time I was not convinced to spend more for the pilots. What are you running? Are any others worth looking at? Continental Pirelli?  I have the pressures at 36/42 btw.   

21 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Metzeler Z8's

Morning  9Mary7

I somewhat agree with that, my best (for even wear under aggressive riding has been the Z-6), I definitely like the Z-6 better than the Z-8 but unfortunately the Z-6  isn't made or stocked any longer. I buy the the Z-6 & run them when I can find them in old-stock but that isn't easy any longer.

This is why I have been riding cautiously. As soon as I got rolling with the new pads, I could feel the system working, prior to fresh pads I was getting next to nothing on the rear disc, no surprise....  The front pads are in good shape, but fresh pads are going in this week. Still thinking Roadsmarts, see if I change my mind.

20230214_164131.jpg

20230214_164322.jpg

20230214_164416.jpg

10 hours ago, dirtrider said:

I somewhat agree with that, my best (for even wear under aggressive riding has been the Z-6), I definitely like the Z-6 better than the Z-8 but unfortunately the Z-6  isn't made or stocked any longer. I buy the the Z-6 & run them when I can find them in some-ones old-stock but that isn't easy any longer.

Exactly my experience as well. I didn't mention the Z-6 'cause they are all gone now.

I was using M-5 Sportec's for trackdays but those are no more as well..

TTH386F Brembo

**edit** I snooped around for this number and found one other match and it was a sintered pad, so not sure if this was the original pad set??? 

3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Most probably original "P" model pads.

Morning  9Mary7

That could be but that TTH386F is also the number on the back of the current service (BMW civilian) 1200RT pad ( PN- 34217660281).

I'm not sure this picture  (present 1200RT service pad) it is clear but on my enhanced monitor, it clearly  shows TTH386F (this is a current 1200RT civilian service pad)

1200 pad TTH386F.jpg