IGNORED

Possible Starter Fail? RT

justjoe216

Hi Folks ,

Having a starting problem with my 2004 rt1150. Key on Choke full, hit starter it spins,fires a bit but starter disengages and just spins w/o/ spinning the boxer! Is my starter drive bad? I feel like if it would stay engaged, she would start. Any help would be MOST appreciated. TIA,Joe.

That sounds like a bad starter. They can be taken apart and cleaned, but you can also buy an acceptable replacement on EBay for pretty small money.

1 hour ago, justjoe216 said:

Hi Folks ,

Having a starting problem with my 2004 rt1150. Key on Choke full, hit starter it spins,fires a bit but starter disengages and just spins w/o/ spinning the boxer! Is my starter drive bad? I feel like if it would stay engaged, she would start. Any help would be MOST appreciated. TIA,Joe.

Afternoon justjoe216

Yes, possibly a bad starter drive, or possibly the starter drive is gummed up with crud, or the drive end shield has come loose & is jamming the drive from making full travel (not unheard of).

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Yes, possibly a bad starter drive, or possibly the starter drive is gummed up with crud,

This happened to my 2005 1150RT.  You have to pull the starter regardless.  I pulled it, took it apart, cleaned it up, and rode it without further issue for another 5 years when I sold it.  Mine developed a loud squeal and would just spin on occasion.  Try cleaning first and if that doesnt work then you can aquire a new one.  Beemerboneyard, Ebay, and there is another source I don't remember the name exactly....something like Motowerks.  Maybe somone on here can give the correct name.

21 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

This happened to my 2005 1150RT.  You have to pull the starter regardless.  I pulled it, took it apart, cleaned it up, and rode it without further issue for another 5 years when I sold it.  Mine developed a loud squeal and would just spin on occasion.  Try cleaning first and if that doesnt work then you can aquire a new one.  Beemerboneyard, Ebay, and there is another source I don't remember the name exactly....something like Motowerks.  Maybe somone on here can give the correct name.

Afternoon David

"something like Motowerks" __ Are you referring to Euro MotoElectrcs?       http://www.euromotoelectrics.com

If the starter spins ok, then the Bendix is the problem.  The Bendix is the electro-magnet (solenoid) that pushes the starter gear out to engage the flywheel gear and spin the engine, then retracts when the starter is "de-energised" (key on "RUN").  The coil may be failing, the shaft may be gummed up with clutch dust, or there may be a bad connection somewhere in the circuit.  

15 hours ago, Lowndes said:

If the starter spins ok, then the Bendix is the problem.  The Bendix is the electro-magnet (solenoid) that pushes the starter gear out to engage the flywheel gear and spin the engine, then retracts when the starter is "de-energised" (key on "RUN").  The coil may be failing, the shaft may be gummed up with clutch dust, or there may be a bad connection somewhere in the circuit.  

Morning  Lowndes

You are thinking of a different starter type,  the BMW  1150 boxer starter doesn't use a Bendix, it uses a solenoid & fork to operate a starter drive.   

The Bendix system uses the inertia of the spinning starter in conjunction with a large spring & helical to engage the Bendix drive with the flywheel. (on a Bendix system the solenoid is usually remote as it only powers the starter motor, it isn't used to move the starter drive itself). The downside to the Bendix system & reason it is not used much any more on difficult to crank engines is on the Bendix system the starter drive gear is rotating at about full starter free-run RPM (BEFORE) engagement with the flywheel teeth so there can, at times, be a lot of grinding & noise as the free-spinning Bendix gear tries to mate with the stationary teeth of the flywheel.

But part of what you said is true as the BMW 1150 boxer does use a solenoid with a plunger & fork to move the starter drive into engagement. But that solenoid also has a second function  & that is to power the starter motor itself. (there are a couple of heavy duty contacts inside the outer end of the solenoid that a large ring bridges when the solenoid plunger moves it's full travel. This it what sends high amp power to the motor. (if the solenoid plunger doesn't move to full travel then the starter won't even motor)

On this type of starter system a bad solenoid coil can prevent the starter drive engagement but that typically means that the solenoid plunger won't move far enough to allow the starter to even run. (this type of system is designed to not allow the starter to even motor until the starter drive is moved far enough to engage the flywheel teeth). Now the starter drive can stick just short of engagement due to dirt or that internal cover that can come loose & prevent full drive engagement as the starter drive has a force spring to allow the solenoid plunger to sometimes move just far enough to bridge those high-amp end contacts.   

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon David

"something like Motowerks" __ Are you referring to Euro MotoElectrcs?       http://www.euromotoelectrics.com

If so, they are currently running a twelve days of Christmas sale right now - different deal each day and some are storewide. Not a bad time to order something you need.