IGNORED

Speaking of batteries....

Twisties

...more and more of our gadgets are using AAA.  We've used 60 of them in the last 18 months.  We live in a rural area, and they are ridiculously pricey at the supermarket, around a $1ea.   Nearest Costco is 5-hours drive one-way... so we no longer maintain a Costco membership... but could still order from them with a 5% surcharge.  So, on Amazon I can get 100 or so for around $0.22 ea.  But, last time I ordered off Amazon the product which was advertised very prominently as having a ten year shelf-life came with about 5 years of shelf-life remaining... in other words, they were 5 years old when they shipped. 

My questions:

How significant is it if they are 5 years old when they ship?  Have they lost much capacity?

Where do you buy your batteries?

Should I switch to rechargables?  If so, which?

Well, after considerable searching on Google, I finally found a piece with a number:  3% loss per year of storage.  That's not too bad, and certainly worth the price difference, assuming whatever I order from Amazon is within 5 years of manufacture, as the last batch were.

I usually keep a pack or two on hand of Harbor Freight's cheapest alkalines,  typically about $5 for a 24 pack with a coupon.  Battery life seems to be at least as good as the "name brands" .  Coupons are getting harder to find with  HF pushing the 18 pack of "Edge" batteries at a higher cost, but I can still find one or two a year.  The Edge offers a longer life, but the price per mAh is higher.

image.png.ae67bb815dd1d6061852c6627f2f0aa9.png

• Like 1