IGNORED

Miscellaneous BMW Moto Warranty Info

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

From recent communications with BMW customer service:

"In-service date" = The date that your bike was first put into service.  If bought new, likely it's the date of purchase.  Not sure of in-service date on a demo.  If unsure, reach out to customerservice@bmwmotorcycles.com or 1-800-831-1117 with VIN and they will respond with the date.  This date is important.  Example: The 12-year fuel strip warranty starts with the date of service; so, AFAIK, as of today, bikes with fuel strip issues that have an in-service date prior to 12/13/10 are no longer covered.  (In reality, with most shops backed up, if you took the bike in for this warranty service and the dealer can't get to within the 12-year period, I'm guessing you'd be out of luck.)

The following response came about repair warranties for work done under warranty by prior owner of a used bike:

"In the event that the previous owner had the component replaced under the warranty, the replacement part would only carry the remainder of that specific warranty as any remaining coverage. If the previous owner paid to have the work completed and did not have the component replaced under the warranty, the part itself would carry a 2-year parts warranty from the date of installation, as long as the replacement part was an OEM BMW part. Unfortunately, this coverage would have remained solely with the person that would have paid for the work to be completed. As a result, if the component is needing replaced again, it will be at owners expense."

YMMV

1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

From recent communications with BMW customer service:

"In-service date" = The date that your bike was first put into service.  If bought new, likely it's the date of purchase.  Not sure of in-service date on a demo.  If unsure, reach out to customerservice@bmwmotorcycles.com or 1-800-831-1117 with VIN and they will respond with the date.  This date is important.  Example: The 12-year fuel strip warranty starts with the date of service; so, AFAIK, as of today, bikes with fuel strip issues that have an in-service date prior to 12/13/10 are no longer covered.  (In reality, with most shops backed up, if you took the bike in for this warranty service and the dealer can't get to within the 12-year period, I'm guessing you'd be out of luck.)

The following response came about repair warranties for work done under warranty by prior owner of a used bike:

"In the event that the previous owner had the component replaced under the warranty, the replacement part would only carry the remainder of that specific warranty as any remaining coverage. If the previous owner paid to have the work completed and did not have the component replaced under the warranty, the part itself would carry a 2-year parts warranty from the date of installation, as long as the replacement part was an OEM BMW part. Unfortunately, this coverage would have remained solely with the person that would have paid for the work to be completed. As a result, if the component is needing replaced again, it will be at owners expense."

Morning John

I think I would dispute that last sentence with BMW or the the dealer__ 

I see no mention of needing to be the person that PAID for the work, just the original
repair order invoice or bill-of-sale showing the installation date and
BMW part number.

(___from BMW below ___)

"Sold On or After April 1, 2003
BMW of North America warrants
Original BMW Parts, and Original
Remanufactured BMW Parts,
imported by BMW of North America
and installed by an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer, purchased over
the counter or by mail order from an
authorized BMW motorcycle dealer,
against defects in materials and
workmanship for a period of 24
months without mileage limitations,
commencing with the date of
purchase"

"The warranty period shall commence
from the date of installation on all
original or original remanufactured
parts installed by an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer. Warranty on parts
replaced during the warranty period
will remain in effect for the duration of
the vehicle warranty or the
replacement parts warranty,
whichever is longer"

"To obtain service under this warranty
for parts installed by an authorized
BMW motorcycle dealer, the BMW
motorcycle must be presented to an
authorized BMW motorcycle dealer.
Upon presentation of the original
repair order invoice or bill-of-sale
showing the installation date and
BMW part number, the dealer will
repair or replace said part(s)
or
accessories covered by this warranty
without charge for parts or labor to the
customer."

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning John

I think I would dispute that last sentence with BMW or the the dealer__ 

I see no mention of needing to be the person that PAID for the work, just the original
repair order invoice or bill-of-sale showing the installation date and
BMW part number.

(___from BMW below ___)

"Sold On or After April 1, 2003
BMW of North America warrants
Original BMW Parts, and Original
Remanufactured BMW Parts,
imported by BMW of North America
and installed by an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer, purchased over
the counter or by mail order from an
authorized BMW motorcycle dealer,
against defects in materials and
workmanship for a period of 24
months without mileage limitations,
commencing with the date of
purchase"

"The warranty period shall commence
from the date of installation on all
original or original remanufactured
parts installed by an authorized BMW
motorcycle dealer. Warranty on parts
replaced during the warranty period
will remain in effect for the duration of
the vehicle warranty or the
replacement parts warranty,
whichever is longer"

"To obtain service under this warranty
for parts installed by an authorized
BMW motorcycle dealer, the BMW
motorcycle must be presented to an
authorized BMW motorcycle dealer.
Upon presentation of the original
repair order invoice or bill-of-sale
showing the installation date and
BMW part number, the dealer will
repair or replace said part(s)
or
accessories covered by this warranty
without charge for parts or labor to the
customer."

DR, I'm going to reach out to BMW again.  What's the source document for this quote? Thanks again.

BMWNA Parts Warranty

31 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

DR, I'm going to reach out to BMW again.  What's the source document for this quote? Thanks again.

Afternoon John

I'm not sure as I downloaded it from BMW a while back when a friend had a paid-for part failure & wanted to know if BMW would warranty it. 

Check this info__

https://www.socalbmwmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/bmw-motorrad-parts-warranty-statement.pdf

I see you already found the latest info. 

• 4 months later...

If you buy an R12RT fuel strip and install it yourself, how does the 2 year warranty apply? The way I read it, the part is covered, but not the labor to replace it at the dealer (or anywhere else). If that is correct, does the warranty start at time of purchase? Can you simply return the defective fuel strip (with receipt in hand) and get a replacement on the spot? Does the dealer confirm the part has failed?

Edited by SHIMHEAD
Typo