IGNORED

R1100RT(P) Brembo brake caliper (What is this?)

SWB

My front brake caliper's have a different looking bleed screw. What my manuals and the parts fiche show is a nipple covered by a rubber camp. This appears to be a metal (or possibly plastic) knob with a hex bolt at the top. I assume that this is the bleed screw. It doesn't look like a speed bleeder, either.

Does anyone else's R1100 calipher look like this? Perhaps BMW installed their own type of bleeding nut on the Authority bikes. confused.gif

brembo_caliper.JPG

693067-brembo_caliper.thumb.JPG.a50b9ed2975345fbfb21f62dab94d6c0.JPG

The bleed screw with the rubber cover is on the left side of the bike.

As I understand it, the right caliper has a fill plug installed at the factory, which is what you are looking at. I also hear that it is held on tightly by locktite and needs to be heated to remove.

I believe others have replaced this with a normal bleed screw (I'm going to do this one of these days).

I've bled the lines with a vacuum MAC Tools bleeder from the left bleed screw with no ill effects, but I always worry about sucking out all the residual fluid from the right caliper by not having a bleed screw there as well. More importantly, having an air bubble develop on the right side when pulling new fluid from the master cylinder to the bleed screw on the left side.

Probably just paranoid, but I'd feel better pulling some fluid through that right caliper via a bleed screw.

I'm not sure if I'm following proper brake bleed procedures for the R1100 RT-P so double check what I am saying - brakes aren't something to cut corners on!

I enjoy following your RT-P renewal project BTW!

RTP rider is correct, but it is called a Grub screw. You can replace it with a regular bleed screw or a speed bleeder. They should put bleeders on both sides but they don't so we will take the bike to a dealer for bleed service. The bleeding happens in 2 ways that way!!!!!!!!

Stan Walker

Does anyone else's R1100 calipher look like this?

Early 1100 bikes had bleed screws in all calipers, and the 1150's returned to bleed screws again, but in-between there were several years that had this funny grub screw setup. Probably makes it easier to fill at the factory. Just replace it with a standard bleed screw.

It's possible that your bike has gone many years without any flush of the right caliper. That's a bad thing. Flushing the left side does NOT do anything for the right side. Calipers are rebuildable; lets hope you don't need to.

By the way, it took me an extra minute to get orientated to your picture, it's rotated 45 degrees counter-clockwise from what I'm used to seeing on the bike.

Does anyone else's R1100 calipher look like this?

Early 1100 bikes had bleed screws in all calipers, and the 1150's returned to bleed screws again, but in-between there were several years that had this funny grub screw setup. Probably makes it easier to fill at the factory. Just replace it with a standard bleed screw.

It's possible that your bike has gone many years without any flush of the right caliper. That's a bad thing. Flushing the left side does NOT do anything for the right side. Calipers are rebuildable; lets hope you don't need to.

By the way, it took me an extra minute to get orientated to your picture, it's rotated 45 degrees counter-clockwise from what I'm used to seeing on the bike.

Thanks all. I searched the archives, but didn't find the references to the grub screws. It's been discussed in multiple threads; sorry for starting another.

re: pix orientation, was taken from the lower right side of the bike, looking up at the brake caliper. The bike is locked and buttoned up (covered) in the garage, and laying down on the floor with the flashlight was the easiest way to snap a quick pix. grin.gif

Well, to heck with it. It's a 45 minute drive to a BMW dealer to pick up a bleed screw (and I wouldn't have a clue as to what a "M10" screw for Brembo cross-references to at a local independent dealer), and besides BMW wants $13.00 for the screw and dust cap.

So, I just bought speedbleeders for all three calipers (point, click, and it's in the mail, for $26). thumbsup.gif

re: "It's possible that your bike has gone many years without any flush of the right caliper. That's a bad thing." But.. but.. it's been BMW SERVICED all it's riding life. frown.gif

Lol.. I assume NOTHING.

Clearly it's a quick-disconnect fitting for the quick brake flush of fleet vehicles.

I'd sure like to know how this works if it's something other than a facory installed plug (and how it's quicker than the bleed screw).

I tried unscrewing the top of the plug (without heat) and damn near stripped the screw head. I saw nothing "quick" anything on this plug smile.gif

Maybe I turned it the wrong way?

Can you explain more? If it is used for speed bleeding is it more compatible with vacuum bleeders?

I assume you'd still be drawing fluid out starting at the master cylinder.

Both my RT-P's have this so if there's something to learn I'm all ears.

Thanks!

OK. I guess I should have put on smiley face or something.

It was a Wild Ass Guess. frown.gif

The only thing I really thought would be clear to everyone is to dismiss my opinion because:

-My second choice would have been that you try to plug a gas line into it because of its similarity to a injector (auxillary propulsion you know)

-I've owned my BMW for about 6 mo

-I fixed the ABS by pulling the dash light

-I'm running around sans side covers because I have to do more tweaking on the fairing brace

-I did everything required to replace the clutch and still have two good-sized bolts left over that I don't know what to do with (bike runs great though!)

-I'm running a Fram oil filter and a Yuasa battery

-I'm painting it House of Kolor "Burple"

-I've never even stayed in one of those special Holiday Inns

However... why a rubber gasket except to seal something? Why the lip below it if not to secure something? If I had to design a fitting to accomodate quickly filling or sucking out a fluid, the male end would look like this and the female end would look like a female air quick disconnect. Especially if I had to capture a bunch of used brake fluid. I can't see what's in the middle of the fitting but does anything happen when you push or pull it?

I guess I'd be calling a garage that does their town's police bikes and ask them. Presuming BMW continues to be stumped.

And, of course, continue to rely on the kindness of the good strangers at this site, as I do.

Bob

Archived