IGNORED

Oil filters for K1100LT

Bud

Tried to find the answer by searching but was unable to do so.

93 K1100LT

What brands of oil filters will work (and their filter number)?

Thanks

Fram 6063 and you have to buy them direct from the factory.

Hi-flo, off ebay, or at bettery BMW shops for $8.00

Paul Mihalka

I have no problem in using aftermarket filters and stuff, but for the older style K bikes I would use BMW oil filters. Main reason is I would not put a painted body oil filter to run inside the engine oil and I have not seen any non-BMW filters that were not painted.

I have no problem in using aftermarket filters and stuff, but for the older style K bikes I would use BMW oil filters. Main reason is I would not put a painted body oil filter to run inside the engine oil and I have not seen any non-BMW filters that were not painted.

Paul,

The last filter I used was a BMW and it was obviously painted. Do they sell some w/o any paint at all? In other words bare metal?

scatterbrain

My experience has been that the Fram and the Hi-Flo filters specified for my '93 K1100LT have not been painted, and so I felt fine with having them submerged in the sump pan.

The last filter I used was a BMW and it was obviously painted. Do they sell some w/o any paint at all? In other words bare metal?

The "painted" thing refers to the coating on Fram filters they call "sure grip". It tends to soften and come off in old K-bikes, because the filter is constantly immersed in oil.

The paint on BMW filters is far thinner, and is not affected by being immersed in hot oil.

Bob.

The "painted" thing refers to the coating on Fram filters they call "sure grip". It tends to soften and come off in old K-bikes, because the filter is constantly immersed in oil.

The paint on BMW filters is far thinner, and is not affected by being immersed in hot oil.

Bob.

OK I get it now. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I know my last BMW filter had words painted on it.

Bud,

Here are some that 'work':

AMSOIL: SMF122

AC Delco: PF-53

Bosch: 72161

Fram: PH-6063 (K specific)

Fram PH-3614 (9-12psi)

Fram PH46 (30-37psi)

Hastings: 157A, LF157

Mahle: OC91 or OC91D1 (includes the O-Ring)

Motorcraft: FL-271, FL-793

Purolator: ML16825, FCO-201, PER-241

Wix: 51348, 51785, 51288

Mick

Archived