IGNORED

R1150RT running without the primary spark plug?

Stavros

Hello! Recently I took a 400 miles ride at a relatively high speed on my 2003 R1150rt. (Had to be somewhere in time). On the highway, the plastic cover of the spark plug, (already damaged by the previous owner),  was "kicked" away by the wind and got "secured" between my left boot and the bike. The bike run beautiful all the way long without the slightest hesitation. When I stopped 300 miles afterwards and inspected the cylinder head, I realised that the plastic cover had pulled together the little wire from the spark plug. I pushed the wire back to the fiche and threw away the cover, (I already replaced it with a new one). Am I fool to think that I might did all these miles on one cylinder? Was the secondry spark plug sufficient for the trip? Is there a chance I caused any damage? The Boxer runs perfectly so far. Thank you!

50 minutes ago, Stavros said:

Hello! Recently I took a 400 miles ride at a relatively high speed on my 2003 R1150rt. (Had to be somewhere in time). On the highway, the plastic cover of the spark plug, (already damaged by the previous owner),  was "kicked" away by the wind and got "secured" between my left boot and the bike. The bike run beautiful all the way long without the slightest hesitation. When I stopped 300 miles afterwards and inspected the cylinder head, I realised that the plastic cover had pulled together the little wire from the spark plug. I pushed the wire back to the fiche and threw away the cover, (I already replaced it with a new one). Am I fool to think that I might did all these miles on one cylinder? Was the secondry spark plug sufficient for the trip? Is there a chance I caused any damage? The Boxer runs perfectly so far. Thank you!

Afternoon Stavros

Not the best idea to run the 1150 at high speed with just the lower plugs working as the ignition advance curve is based on both plugs working.  But if it ran OK & you didn't hear any spark knocking or pinging then I doubt it did any damage. 

• Like 1
On 12/11/2022 at 11:09 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Stavros

Not the best idea to run the 1150 at high speed with just the lower plugs working as the ignition advance curve is based on both plugs working.  But if it ran OK & you didn't hear any spark knocking or pinging then I doubt it did any damage. 

Thank you dirtrider! I would hate to be the one to "sank" the Titanic...not in my watch!