IGNORED

FS- 2002 1150rt

Boulder Dave

First off it has what I believe to be an electrical gremlin. Bike runs fine then it stops without warning. Bike sits overnight and will start again. Runs for 30 minutes to several days and dies again. Yes, I’ve replaced the HES. I consider myself a solid mechanic and I’m stumped. Could be a chaffed wire or something more. Dunno. Can’t find a smoking gun. Have title and bike is on non-op registration.

Cosmetically it’s a 9.5. Mechanically, everything works (the stalling issue aside). I have owned or maintained the bike for 10 years. About four of those years, a friend had the bike, but I still did the maintenance. Servo brakes flushed regularly and steel brake hoses fitted nine years ago.

Bike has approx. 70k on it. I swapped odometer because of a broken needle. I have the old odo and the mileage of the new odo when I installed it.

Bike is located in Sacramento. Asking $1,200

Help my mental state and help me get some room back in the garage.

04F77B44-4ED9-4BC9-9FBE-EBCA57E368D1.jpeg

33992926-26E4-4852-A0F9-B12E8E29628A.jpeg

BFF8A57E-71E7-43AD-8166-A7A495AF3BE9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Could your problem be faulty wiring to the side stand switch? I had a similar problem several years ago with my ‘98 R1100RT that did not clear up with a new HES. The culprit was worn side stand wires. With new wiring to the side stand switch the problem never reoccurred.

On 12/26/2022 at 6:42 AM, RK Ryder said:

Could your problem be faulty wiring to the side stand switch? I had a similar problem several years ago with my ‘98 R1100RT that did not clear up with a new HES. The culprit was worn side stand wires. With new wiring to the side stand switch the problem never reoccurred.

This is also listed on ADV - and the poster of that thread listed this:

Things I’ve done:

New batt
New HES
New coil/wires
New fuel pump and internal fuel hoses
Confirmed fuel flow
Confirmed spark
Confirmed injectors functioning
Manipulated ignition and headstock area wiring