IGNORED

OYAY

OYAY

I have purchased a 2020 BMW s1000XR. I put 30k miles on it in 1 year.

The stator has shorted to ground recently. New from a dealer is 1300$. It shows parts diagram of both the stator and the rotor. Aftermarket stator only for just a few hundred. The year for direct fit show 2019 s1000xr and 2020 1000rr. Can anyone tell me if this could work or would it be waist on effort. Advice appreciated.

Shouldn't your bike still be under warranty?     My RT hade 3 year 36 k mile warranty, but wondering if it would be same for the S 1000 XR.    :dontknow:

Have you checked with a dealer about the issue yet?

All BMW models have the 3 year 36 thousand mile warranty, I’m almost positive of that. Outside the US? IDK. :dontknow: Bring it back to the dealer, or any dealer.

The question posed is about the 2019 stator fitting/ working on a 2020 model. Warranty or not the dealership is 4 hours away and not feasible in this situation. Does your warranty cover labor cost? Travel to and from, Time for return trip back to pick the bike up? What warranty  ever covered electrical parts? Doesn't anyone work on their own bike? Anyway back to the posted question.   

20 minutes ago, OYAY said:

The question posed is about the 2019 stator fitting/ working on a 2020 model. Warranty or not the dealership is 4 hours away and not feasible in this situation. Does your warranty cover labor cost? Travel to and from, Time for return trip back to pick the bike up? What warranty  ever covered electrical parts? Doesn't anyone work on their own bike? Anyway back to the posted question.   

You‘re going to trust a group of internet people for a definitive answer on an aftermarket stator, but you - apparently - won’t call the dealer to see if this repair is under warranty? 

Maybe you should at least provide a link to the aftermarket stator. 

• Thinking 1
2 hours ago, OYAY said:

Damn,I was going to post a response but I think I'll pass.

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 2

Huh. If your 2020 and the 2019 are the same model - K69 (build dates 12/18-06/20) - there's no issue.

Of course we still work on our bikes - though I have to say, as the years pass, I enjoy riding more than wrenching. This a sports touring forum and a quick glance suggests more than a few of the members are capable of significant maintenance and repairs, both on-road and in the garage. 

On the other hand, don't think you're going to find someone with the ulikely combination of a rare stator issue on a 2 y-old-bike and experience replacing it with a 3-y-old part to walk you through this. 

Just as one can meet some interesting folks asking for directions, one can also cross that similar, line-in-the-sand of manhood and ask a professional mechanic at a dealership for information about their specific bike (VIN number) and compatibility with other models that might not be apparent from simply looking at a parts lists online. They might also have some ideas that get you back on the road a little faster and might be able to find out why your stator failed at only 30 k miles....

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2022 at 1:07 PM, OYAY said:

What a dick response from a new guy asking for help and receiving suggestions. BTW, BMW’s warranty covers electrical issues. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Thank you all for the responses to my vague question. I mentioned that I put 30k miles but failed to mention the bike had 6800 miles on before purchasing. I am aware of BMW warranty work. Maybe my communication skills lack capability in full comprehension and detail. I am working toward bettering myself and my public relations and want to thank each and everyone who took the time out to school me in the way that you did by responding the way that you did. 

I did learn a valuable lesson or two by reaching out.

1. BMW parts need to be replaced with BMW parts.

2. Stay clear of asking for help in unclear situations or forums in general.

My bad wont happen again.

enjoy the road, enjoy the trip.

Anyone know the loneliest bayou in the world?

Bayou Self

• Sad 1

Hey, OYAY, don't just give up!!  This forum is very forgiving for those that step in their mess kit once in a while.  Repeatedly.  AMHIK!!  But, the word is that some here are still looking for the guy that let me in.

Writing is different from verbal conversation and just written words can convey a totally different meaning than the same words spoken.  BUT, with writing you can stop to think about it or go back and change it before hitting send.  I work with a guy that is now one of my best friends.  We got along famously at our first meeting.  Then I got an email from him and seriously thought I was fired, called him and apologized for whatever I must have said to invoke his vicissitude, that I certainly didn't mean whatever I said to offend him.  He was aghast at my apology, said everything was perfect and didn't mean it to sound like I "heard" it.  That was ten years ago.  I love him like a brother and he still writes emails with a poison pen.  Actually, he's very sharp, doesn't type, gets frustrated pecking, and bangs it out hurriedly.  He's famous for it now and a source of much mirth in the group.

Try it again maybe with a softer tone.  None of us here are proficient wordsmiths, but we are accomodating and candid for most perceived transgressions.  Something like "It's about being honest."

And I like the one about "Bayou Self"!!

Lowndes

• Like 2
4 hours ago, OYAY said:

2. Stay clear of asking for help in unclear situations or forums in general.

On this site, that's the last thing you want to do because 99.9% of us find joy in helping others! :thumbsup: You might feel like a response isn't particularly helpful to your query but I can almost guarantee, the person responding is trying to help. PS...I'm sorry in responding the way I did but, your reply came directly after mine. 

• Like 1

Relax... You're amongst friends. This Forum has been extremely helpful to me and others for years. It's just what I need, a sounding board for repairs and techniques from competent mechanics and riders. People that have experienced,  just what you're working on. Or have already done it. It's a wonderful family. I'm very thankful the forum is here 

and I'm a big fan.

• Plus 1 1
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2022 at 11:05 PM, OYAY said:

The year for direct fit show 2019 s1000xr and 2020 1000rr. Can anyone tell me if this could work or would it be waist on effort. Advice appreciated.

As I noted above, if your 2020 and the 2019 are the same model - K69 (build dates 12/18-06/20) - there's no issue.

Any luck with the replacement parts?