IGNORED

'19 RT Garmin on the fritz

robofavo

My 2019 R1250 RT Garmin is suffering from intermittent screen voodoo - where the screen just jumps around rendering it useless.  
I really like the unit - when it works, it works great. But when I'm in the crunch in a large unfamiliar city and the unit goes crazy it makes me consider the following:
1. Is it worth sending back to Garmin for repairs, have others had success with repairs ?
2. Just trade up to the XT?  
Has anyone else had operational issues with their Garmin on pre 2020 BMW's?
IF so which path did you take for repairs or replacement?
Thanks! 

I tried recalibrating the screen (touch dot), restarting, cleaning the screen, clearing old info, downloading new software. After 3.5yrs it became totally useless and I sent mine back and a refurbished one will arrive Tuesday. Many have sent back numerous units. 

wish me luck. Oy. 

Yeah, I went through all the same rigmarole with no improvement what so ever,.  

Please be sure to add back to the tread after you have time to check it over.

Due to winter here in the upper midwest, my bike is mothballed for the winter so it's a good time for the send-off!

Thanks again....

I had my Nav VI for almost 2 years with only an occasional ghosting.   Within another year, the issue cropped up more frequently due to glove prints, etc.   I always wiped the screen down to minimize it from happening, which worked most of the time.   

Due to riding with Zumo XT riders (GS bikes,) they convinced me to send the Nav VI back in and buy a Zumo XT.  I did that and purchased the power adapter from Italy to use the Zumo XT on my RT.  The refurbed Nav VI was shipped to me, which was then sold.

I would have kept the Nav VI, but the other Zumo XT users gave me some compelling information along with them pking fun at my issues with the Nav VI.   I am sure they got their commission or stock, whatever, LOL.

Not sure if the bike really makes a difference, or not, but I have found that I do not really miss the wonder wheel use for navigation (Nav VI)  I never really used it all that much anyway.   The touch screen works just fine on the Zumo XT.    The wonder wheel integration would be about the only factor in deciding which Garmin device to use.

The  Garmin turns still occur on both devices, for what it is worth.   :ohboy:

2 hours ago, robofavo said:

My 2019 R1250 RT Garmin is suffering from intermittent screen voodoo - where the screen just jumps around rendering it useless.  
I really like the unit - when it works, it works great. But when I'm in the crunch in a large unfamiliar city and the unit goes crazy it makes me consider the following:
1. Is it worth sending back to Garmin for repairs, have others had success with repairs ?
2. Just trade up to the XT?  
Has anyone else had operational issues with their Garmin on pre 2020 BMW's?
IF so which path did you take for repairs or replacement?
Thanks! 

Afternoon robofavo

More than likely your GPS is starting to fail but a couple of things to try first__

If the problem only happens in the direct sun & IF you have a mylar type screen saver on it then try removing the screen saver. When those things get older & dried out (or shrink a little)  they can put all kinds of odd pressure on the touch screen when they heat in the sun.  

The other thing to try is using a thin piece of plastic or mylar (like an old 35mm film negative) then work that around the screen edges, get all the trapped dirt & junk out from under the screen edges. If there is any trapped junk between the outer screen edge & the screen surround then that can also drive the screen crazy.   

I bought a sweet 1250RT this past September, and never gave the Navigator a chance-went right to the XT.  I know what the benefits and limits are, but love the XT.  I used $5.80 for bolts, spacers, and mounted it right on top of the Nav mount, spliced into the wiring harness for the BMW GPS, and it works perfectly.  I don't interface with the bike/gps/phone so that part is a given.  

The XT fits just right, WAY less $ than the Navigator 

My .02

I hit #6 replacement unit on 2019 GS 1250 - finally pulled the plug and converted to Zumo XT using adapter from Italian outfit - 

https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/en/product/e-navxt/

Here's a good install video to give you idea of process - much improved overall!   

We have two other GS's that we'll hold off on Garmin delivering a final resolution to these faulty units.  Overall, I think we've replaced 12 units between all of the bikes.  

On 12/4/2022 at 8:33 AM, robofavo said:

My 2019 R1250 RT Garmin ...the screen just jumps around rendering it useless. ...

I had the same experience with my NAV6 on my 2019 RT.  In my case, I was running across Utah in temps well over 100F.  And the screen suddenly developed a bunch of diagonal lines.  I shut it off, and the next morning after it cooled off, it worked fine until the afternoon, and the problem returned.  So, I think it was heat-related.

In any case, the NAV6 has a 5-year warranty.  I sent mine in, and received a replacement, which is working fine.  I love the way my NAV6 integrates with the bike, and can be removed for use in a motel room, and is not handcuffed to a proprietary BMW application like the newer TFT bikes.  That is why I bought a 2019 model RT instead of the newer bikes.

And just to be safe, I bought that adapter from Italy.  Two of my buddies bought the Zumo XT for their non-BMWs, and they love them.  I plan to get one for my new-to-me Vstrom 650. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cap said:

So, I think it was heat-related.

I’ve seen many who think it’s cold related, including me. You’re the first I’ve seen to think it’s heat related. 

4 hours ago, longjohn said:

I’ve seen many who think it’s cold related, including me. You’re the first I’ve seen to think it’s heat related. 

I had a malfunction on my HEX EZ-CAN 2 canbus controller.  And it was in hot temps.  I spoke with someone at Ted Porter's, and they explained that the problem was temperature related, both in unusually hot and cold temps.  In that situation, the aluminum case had a different thermal expansion coefficient than the potting material inside.  So, in either hot or cold operating temps, the different rates of expansion would apply stress to the internal electronics, and cause a failure.

There might be a similar issue with the NAV6 screen -- dimensional changes in extreme temps. :5146:

I received the reconditioned unit yesterday. It took 10-12 days and everything appears to be working as it should.  

I’m surprised that a multi million dollar company can’t solve the problem with these things. Wtf!

Someone I know with Taiwanese connections swears there will be a nav vii. We’ll see. 74C0BA6D-2147-4216-A564-0D6C5361921C.thumb.jpeg.91d7e58290d2a13f8a7db060a5182c7e.jpeg

10 hours ago, longjohn said:

I’m surprised that a multi million dollar company can’t solve the problem with these things. Wtf!

You have got to realise that motorcycle units are a minuscule percentage of Garmin's business and they treat it accordingly. I.e. not spending a lot of time correcting things. Cheaper to replace.

I believe the core business for them is aviation instrumentation, that's where the big money is.

• Like 1