IGNORED

Advice on Service, 14 RT

LAMotorcycleRider

LAMotorcycleRider

I have a 14 RT I bought a few years back with 1K, I just hit 12K and need to do the first major service. I'd appreciate some tips from anybody with experience who can help.

1. Are there any options to get service parts at a better price than my local stealer? air cleaner, oil filter, gaskets, valve shims, etc.

2. Is there any way to reset the dash service indicator light other than buying a GS-911 or paying the dealer?

3. I have the Haynes paper manual, is this sufficient or is there other service documentation I should get?

4. I'm a tool junky and have almost everything, are there any special tools I will need?

Thanks

Jeff    

@Boxflyer has a few posts on this forum answering your questions, 1 - 4, plus many more you have yet to ask.

Check out his videos for the 12k service.   They also have descriptions that indicate the sources for all his tools and supplies.  Yeah, he has a frugal quality about him.   :classic_biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Boxflyer11/videos

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Beemerboneyard is a great place for parts. You can get a 10 percent discount with the code BMWST.

There is an android app called MotoScan that you can use to reset the service light.  GS911 is another option and has more functions but is more money.

Hanes manual will be fine.  

Definitely check out boxflyers videos you need some special tool to verify cam timing and boxflyer is a great source.  

• Like 1

Oh yeah one other thing.  Make sure to drop the final drive and check the rear splines on you drive shaft.  There is a service campaign on the GS with respect to rust but it can be an issue with the RTs as well.  Do a forum search for the grease requirements for the boot and splines. Brad may have a video on this subject as well.

• Like 1

I second Beemer Boneyard as a source of service parts.  I use a GS 911 for resetting the service indicator and other maintenance activities (suspension calibration, brake bleed procedure, etc...).

None of this is difficult, its just a matter of being thorough and working methodically.  Torque wrenches are your friend and the torque specs for different fasteners can be found pretty easily via an internet search. 

LAMotorcycleRider

Thank you everybody for the tips, I like that Boxflyer guy he reminds me of myself. I will definitely check out beemerboneyard. 

21 hours ago, LAMotorcycleRider said:

I have a 14 RT I bought a few years back with 1K, I just hit 12K and need to do the first major service. I'd appreciate some tips from anybody with experience who can help.

1. Are there any options to get service parts at a better price than my local stealer? air cleaner, oil filter, gaskets, valve shims, etc.

2. Is there any way to reset the dash service indicator light other than buying a GS-911 or paying the dealer?

3. I have the Haynes paper manual, is this sufficient or is there other service documentation I should get?

4. I'm a tool junky and have almost everything, are there any special tools I will need?

Thanks

Jeff    

Motoscan is an alternative to a GS911 for resetting service interval.