IGNORED

Anyone try or use a Bell SRT Modular Helmet?

Scott9999

I can't find the post on this or the bmwlt.com forum, but someone recommended the Bell SRT.    Bell's "large" size breaks right at my size (i.e. 59.5 cm, and their "Large" is 59-60 cm, where as Schuberth, for example, as "Large 58-59, XLarge 60-61", and I don't fit either), and I've always liked Bell's quality reputation (well, at least what it was maybe 30 to 40 years ago).  Also, I want to avoid the poly helmets, so the Bell SRT looks like a pretty good option (well, at least one that's less than $700 or $800). 

The only negative's I've read were noise related (but I'm hiding behind mountains of Beemer tupperware), and that the helmet's interior isn't quite as plus as maybe a Shoei or Schuberth.

Example:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-srt-modular-helmet?sku_id=1248879

image.png.31fffde382e5b8326534874ed91a9d45.png

Note:  I'd like to try a AGV Tourmodular, but the US prices for that and the Sportmodular are $600 to $800, unless I buy directly from Europe, but return mailing is cost prohibitive, if it doesn't work out.  

These AGV's in the USA are exactly twice the price of the Bell.  Are they worth twice as much?!  🤔🙄

https://www.amazon.com/AGV-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet-Tourmodular/dp/B09KNLYKWZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3OTHSAZZVO5HO&keywords=agv+tour+modular&qid=1669947726&sprefix=agv+tourmodular%2Caps%2C251&sr=8-3

image.png.7c0b3ba0cfd4221ad9cab857a48edaba.png

This AGV is nice, too, and it's the carbon Sportmodular helmet, for the same price (plus it's got that great "cop" look, just add sunglasses and the attitude!🤣😎)

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sportmodular-carbon-helmet?sku_id=1232125

image.png.993ac85853473e42993fc4c730e6a868.png

Can't speak directly to the SRT, but Jeremiah (my now 14 year old son) had a Bell Revolver for a couple of years and now has an AGV Nuvo. He has been happy with both and they've both held up well. To me, the AGV feels a little "nicer" but not twice as nice. 

• Thanks 1

@RandyShields @taylor1 and others interested. Helmets are subjective, personal, dependent on so many variables, blah, blah, blah y"all know all that.

I ride a 2011 R1200 GSA with a tall Calsci windscreen and wear foam ear plugs evry ride. I have an Arai, a Scorpion, two Schuberths and the last couple of years riding under a Shoei GT Air. I am very biased toward Schuberth, I'll say that up front. Unfortunately, with the new ECE standards requiring helmet add ons (comm devices, etc.) to be tested with the helmet many manufacturers have integrated comms or speakers, mic, antenna built in. Schuberth is one of those. I will never have another integrated comm system, within one year it can be two generations behind in technology and one is pretty much stuck with it. While looking at a replacement for the Shoei (totally disappointed with the quality of that helmet) and wanting another modular, the Bell SRT Modular looked viable. With helmets in short supply I had time to read reviews and watch videos. I decided to take a chance when it became available this past Spring. I wear a size medium in all helmets, this was no exception.

My thoughts:

It is a fiberglass composite shell, not plastic. To me, coming from Schuberth, it is not heavy, it is not light either, it weighs 1750 gr for my medium. Everything works, the chin bar clicks into place with a nice audible click, the visor is fully closed with a strong detent, the internal sunvisor operates as it should. A note on the internal sunvisor, it is cable driven which is a plus. Most internal sunvisors fall short in coverage leaving a larger than desired gap at the bottom, the Bell has far better coverage, it comes down pretty low. Bell uses what they call a Panovision visor, nice large viewport. A Pro Tint shield which changes with the light is an option, it is not cheap, I've not tried one yet, I will at replacement time. The chin bar has a single release button located in the center. The visor detent is located in the center also, not offset like some visors. While the helmet is not as plush as a Schuberth or Arai, I'm quite pleased with the interior feel and comfort, fits me well. Superior to the Shoei in my opinion.

At this price point (I paid $369, Revzilla shows it for 25% off now at $300, don't know when that sale ends) I did not expect it to be this good nor the interior to be this comfortable even with Bell's quality reputation. The helmet seals well, it does not leak in heavy rain, at least mine has not. 

The shocker: This is the quitest helmet I have, not even close. Some reviews called it noisy, I expected that but thought my ear plugs could kind of offset that if needed. On my bike with my windscreen and my foam plugs it is extremely quiet. We will see if that is the case when I get a chance to ride my RS with a small screen. This helmet flows more air than my Schuberths and the Shoei GT Air which is supposed to flow a lot but doesn't. It is on par with my Arai which ventilates very well.

Some things you may not like: The visor has basically three positions. Fully closed, city postion and fully open, no middle holding positions. The city position is open more than my Schuberth ones or the Arai and Shoei, it is open a good bit. At speed, fully open stays open and the city position stays open. The lack of indents does not bother me, I only ride in those postions anyway, might bother you. It's billed as a sport touring helmet, slight forward tuck or 3/4, a GSA has an upright riding position, I have no issues. The visor is not Pinlock ready, it is Bell's no fog coating. Mine didn't fog in rain, we will see this winter what happens.

I keep my helmets a long time, I recently rebuilt my C3 with all new interior, it is as plush as new and I'll continue to use it, nothing compares. I'm impressed with the Bell, I spent ten days with it for the UnRally, it will be on my head tomorrow as I ride. I'll see how well it holds up long term. Revzilla had a little review of it here:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-srt-modular-helmet?sku_id=1248878

That's a long winded way of saying I like the helmet and for $300 or even $399 list, it's pretty good if it works for you.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I bought an SRT modular direct from Bell, cheaper than any other sites. Complaints, noisy, have a cheap S&S helmet that's quieter. Good size gap at top of shield about 3inches off center line on each side. Been lucky not to hit rain with it but it will certainly leak. It's funny how in the Revzilla review they state "we have not tried it in the rain". Venting is good but in cold weather it is a cold helmet even with all the vents closed. Fog free coating doesn't work very well. It is comfortable.  I ride with the shield open and that reduces a lot of the wind noise. I would not buy one again didn't matter what the price was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, terryofperry said:

@RandyShields @taylor1 and others interested. Helmets are subjective, personal, dependent on so many variables, blah, blah, blah y"all know all that.

I ride a 2011 R1200 GSA with a tall Calsci windscreen and wear foam ear plugs evry ride. I have an Arai, a Scorpion, two Schuberths and the last couple of years riding under a Shoei GT Air. I am very biased toward Schuberth, I'll say that up front. Unfortunately, with the new ECE standards requiring helmet add ons (comm devices, etc.) to be tested with the helmet many manufacturers have integrated comms or speakers, mic, antenna built in. Schuberth is one of those. I will never have another integrated comm system, within one year it can be two generations behind in technology and one is pretty much stuck with it. While looking at a replacement for the Shoei (totally disappointed with the quality of that helmet) and wanting another modular, the Bell SRT Modular looked viable. With helmets in short supply I had time to read reviews and watch videos. I decided to take a chance when it became available this past Spring. I wear a size medium in all helmets, this was no exception.

My thoughts:

It is a fiberglass composite shell, not plastic. To me, coming from Schuberth, it is not heavy, it is not light either, it weighs 1750 gr for my medium. Everything works, the chin bar clicks into place with a nice audible click, the visor is fully closed with a strong detent, the internal sunvisor operates as it should. A note on the internal sunvisor, it is cable driven which is a plus. Most internal sunvisors fall short in coverage leaving a larger than desired gap at the bottom, the Bell has far better coverage, it comes down pretty low. Bell uses what they call a Panovision visor, nice large viewport. A Pro Tint shield which changes with the light is an option, it is not cheap, I've not tried one yet, I will at replacement time. The chin bar has a single release button located in the center. The visor detent is located in the center also, not offset like some visors. While the helmet is not as plush as a Schuberth or Arai, I'm quite pleased with the interior feel and comfort, fits me well. Superior to the Shoei in my opinion.

At this price point (I paid $369, Revzilla shows it for 25% off now at $300, don't know when that sale ends) I did not expect it to be this good nor the interior to be this comfortable even with Bell's quality reputation. The helmet seals well, it does not leak in heavy rain, at least mine has not. 

The shocker: This is the quitest helmet I have, not even close. Some reviews called it noisy, I expected that but thought my ear plugs could kind of offset that if needed. On my bike with my windscreen and my foam plugs it is extremely quiet. We will see if that is the case when I get a chance to ride my RS with a small screen. This helmet flows more air than my Schuberths and the Shoei GT Air which is supposed to flow a lot but doesn't. It is on par with my Arai which ventilates very well.

Some things you may not like: The visor has basically three positions. Fully closed, city postion and fully open, no middle holding positions. The city position is open more than my Schuberth ones or the Arai and Shoei, it is open a good bit. At speed, fully open stays open and the city position stays open. The lack of indents does not bother me, I only ride in those postions anyway, might bother you. It's billed as a sport touring helmet, slight forward tuck or 3/4, a GSA has an upright riding position, I have no issues. The visor is not Pinlock ready, it is Bell's no fog coating. Mine didn't fog in rain, we will see this winter what happens.

I keep my helmets a long time, I recently rebuilt my C3 with all new interior, it is as plush as new and I'll continue to use it, nothing compares. I'm impressed with the Bell, I spent ten days with it for the UnRally, it will be on my head tomorrow as I ride. I'll see how well it holds up long term. Revzilla had a little review of it here:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-srt-modular-helmet?sku_id=1248878

That's a long winded way of saying I like the helmet and for $300 or even $399 list, it's pretty good if it works for you.

Terry

Great, detailed review, Terry.

I noted that this helmet comes with the Panovision shield.  One review said that it comes with two shields, the standard clear one, and an extra Panovision shield, thought it doesn't appear to be the kind with pinlock (available for $79.00, including the pinlock inner visor, though).

Very tempting.  I really wanted the Schuberth, and Schuberth contacted me directly about fitment and said that that fitment issue is one thing they specifically resolved in the C5.

I just have, what?  I guess it's a moral dilemma with spending $600 or $800 for a new helmet, when something like this one isn't much of a compromise on either safety or comfort. 🤔  (Oh my gosh, the farkles one can buy with an extra $300 to $500 that he didn't spend on his helmet.  SUCH a moral dilemma.  🤣🤣)

I've learned after buying three different  helmets within a year, to ... sleep on decisions a bit more.  (Well, let's see, this is day two or three - actually, I've been looking at this thing for over a month, so I guess I can buy it now!!  🙃😁)  

Thanks again, for all of the feedback, folks.

Edit:  Cyclegear has the same sale as Revzilla.  I've seen this so many times, i.e. identical ads, prices, inventory, etc.,  that I'm pretty sure that the companies are connected.  The local shop appears to have a white large Bell SRT Modular in stock, so I'm off to check out the fitment tomorrow.

:5210:

Edit 2:  Crap.  Cyclegear did it to me again.  Their advertisement/web page "looks" like they have it in stock.  However, when you drill down on size, it's "sorry, not available here, check other stores", and then, no store seems to have it.  Same thing happened when I was looking for a helmet last year, last fall.   Their online inventory is about 80 times larger than what the stores have.  I went there to try on a helmet that they had advertised as "in stock", and when I got there it was "in stock, pick up in two weeks".  Their clerk said "Naw, we really don't carry that brand of helmet.  We only our in house helmet brand plus a couple other major ones like Schuberth".  Anyway, back to online shopping.

Edit 3:  I just bought the helmet from RevZilla.  Large should be my size, so we'll see how this works out.  The reviews, the price, plus free Panovision shield pushed me over the "just buy it" edge. 🙄  (Plus, I told my wife today that we had a $300 credit on our VISA, and wanted to make sure I won the race to spend it first. 😈  Stuff like that counts in a good marriage, ya know? 🤣🤣).   Of course, I'll have to wear it around the house for hours and hours to break it in, since my sloped driveway is still iced up pretty good (not to mention, every foot of pavement around this area not on a major highway. 😖  I could have waited for better sales on a premium helmet later in the spring, but unlike this year, I actually want to be ready to ride as soon as the frost ends in spring.  Will review next Spring when I've actually put some miles on it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, terryofperry said:

Great write up Terry.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I'm pretty sure that the companies are connected.

Yes, both owned by the same holding company, Comoto Holdings, since 2016.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

Yes, both owned by the same holding company, Comoto Holdings, since 2016.

J&P Cycles is also part of that group Randy. If you purchase a Riders Plus membership (~$60/yr) it works on all three stores. Primary discount for me was free 2-day shipping and free return shipping, but there are other benefits. 

Ride safe - 

Larry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

Great, detailed review, Terry.

I noted that this helmet comes with the Panovision shield.  One review said that it comes with two shields, the standard clear one, and an extra Panovision shield, thought it doesn't appear to be the kind with pinlock (available for $79.00, including the pinlock inner visor, though).

Very tempting.  I really wanted the Schuberth, and Schuberth contacted me directly about fitment and said that that fitment issue is one thing they specifically resolved in the C5.

I just have, what?  I guess it's a moral dilemma with spending $600 or $800 for a new helmet, when something like this one isn't much of a compromise on either safety or comfort. 🤔  (Oh my gosh, the farkles one can buy with an extra $300 to $500 that he didn't spend on his helmet.  SUCH a moral dilemma.  🤣🤣)

I've learned after buying three different  helmets within a year, to ... sleep on decisions a bit more.  (Well, let's see, this is day two or three - actually, I've been looking at this thing for over a month, so I guess I can buy it now!!  🙃😁)  

Thanks again, for all of the feedback, folks.

Edit:  Cyclegear has the same sale as Revzilla.  I've seen this so many times, i.e. identical ads, prices, inventory, etc.,  that I'm pretty sure that the companies are connected.  The local shop appears to have a white large Bell SRT Modular in stock, so I'm off to check out the fitment tomorrow.

:5210:

Edit 2:  Crap.  Cyclegear did it to me again.  Their advertisement/web page "looks" like they have it in stock.  However, when you drill down on size, it's "sorry, not available here, check other stores", and then, no store seems to have it.  Same thing happened when I was looking for a helmet last year, last fall.   Their online inventory is about 80 times larger than what the stores have.  I went there to try on a helmet that they had advertised as "in stock", and when I got there it was "in stock, pick up in two weeks".  Their clerk said "Naw, we really don't carry that brand of helmet.  We only our in house helmet brand plus a couple other major ones like Schuberth".  Anyway, back to online shopping.

Edit 3:  I just bought the helmet from RevZilla.  Large should be my size, so we'll see how this works out.  The reviews, the price, plus free Panovision shield pushed me over the "just buy it" edge. 🙄  (Plus, I told my wife today that we had a $300 credit on our VISA, and wanted to make sure I won the race to spend it first. 😈  Stuff like that counts in a good marriage, ya know? 🤣🤣).   Of course, I'll have to wear it around the house for hours and hours to break it in, since my sloped driveway is still iced up pretty good (not to mention, every foot of pavement around this area not on a major highway. 😖  I could have waited for better sales on a premium helmet later in the spring, but unlike this year, I actually want to be ready to ride as soon as the frost ends in spring.  Will review next Spring when I've actually put some miles on it.

Hope you have my experience and not the one @Bike and ref has. I knew a $300-$400 helmet wasn't going to be as plush as a $700-$800 helmet, among other things. My Shoei experience is less than expected, others praise them. Go figure. The Bell has surprised me regarding comfort, I am shocked how quiet it is for me, some reviews say average some say a little noisy. Mine works, seals tight, no whistling. The C3 Pro is more plush with great quality and everything works years down the road. We will see how this one holds up. Terry

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I've seen this so many times, i.e. identical ads, prices, inventory, etc.,  that I'm pretty sure that the companies are connected. 

Not only are they connected by being under the same holding company, as mentioned above, you may have also noticed that their websites - other than style differences like color/logos and the reviews - are actually the same backend and reflect the same stock. (Not very many Revzilla stores, and I don't remember if you can even select in store pickup at one, but if an item is in stock or out of stock for shipping on Revzilla, it will be the same on CG.)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, terryofperry said:

The Bell has surprised me regarding comfort, I am shocked how quiet it is for me, some reviews say average some say a little noisy. Mine works, seals tight, no whistling. 

Wind noise has never been a big deal for me.  If I want a quiet experience, I ride in a cage.  Riding in the dirt wouldn't be the same WITHOUT wind noise.  And most of my street riding has been behind a fairing.

Wind noise has always just part of the riding experience.   I have never used ear plugs, either, though I've got a pair on the bike and may use 'em going forward.  (Most of my hearing loss occurred during my Navy service years anyhow; nuff said).

• 6 months later...

I just bought a Bell SRT Modular.   I likie.  Yeah, I know modulars are heavy and noisy--but so am I  :classic_rolleyes:.  

It fit well, with none of the forehead pressure like my previous Nolan and HJC--as well as the new HJC i90 I tried.  After several longer rides, I've noticed an irksome pressure point on my cheekbone, prolly from a cheekpad fastener with insufficient padding.  I'll find a way to fix it as it works well in other areas.