IGNORED

Garmin support is superior

Rougarou

Anyway, having replaced the nav VI once already, two years ago, it started acting wonky again.  Cleaned it up, reset, checked software, alas, still wonky.  Contacted Garmin support, GPS is outta warranty, below is part of the email back to me:

"We are working on a solution to ensure the quality of the BMW Motorrad Navigator VI. We are expecting a revised BMW Motorrad Navigator VI to be available in the second half of 2023. What I can do for you today is go ahead and exchange your Navigator VI for a replacement and add you to a list to be contacted once we have more information about the revised Navigator VI. If you do experience an issue in the future, please contact us for support."

Label is not printed for a return shipment of the wonky one.

Michiganr80rt

I have had three Nav VI failures, I got my 4th Nav VI last week. Replacement was quick, under a week. They did not mention a revised version.

My original Zumo went back to Garmin at least 4 times. I got back a different serial number unit each time. Last time there was a $100 charge. But that was 10 years or so later. Yes, they stand behind their stuff pretty good. Still the best mapping platform in my opinion. 

They are great about replacing it but have been saying the issue is fixed since 2018! They finally sent me a refresh version (number 5 replacement for me) so we will see if this one lasts. The refresh version (their term) is the one that says "Make Life a Ride" when booting up and appears kind of greyscale display when compared to original. 

The old Zumo 500 has never had an issue, keeps going and going and going.  I also still have a Street Pilot C330 that I have in the old blue truck.  Zumo maps are about three years old and the C330 maps prolly four years old.  Both of those devices have yet to flutter or fail.

But they do stand behind their products.  They replaced two Rino 120's that I have and bought used---even told them I bought them use but they still replaced them

I have a Zumo 550 I bought in 2007.  Still works perfectly and is way easier to use than the Nav V.  Heck I can even get it to play music.  I have Garmin's first color aviation GPS.  It still works great.  I think I bought it around 2000.  My Zumo won't take a full map upgrade from Garmin Express anymore, but holds all I need.  Garmin said the new maps are just too big for it.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I have a Zumo 550 I bought in 2007.  Still works perfectly and is way easier to use than the Nav V.  Heck I can even get it to play music.  I have Garmin's first color aviation GPS.  It still works great.  I think I bought it around 2000.  My Zumo won't take a full map upgrade from Garmin Express anymore, but holds all I need.  Garmin said the new maps are just too big for it.

Skywagon.

It may not be important to you, but if you have an SD card loaded in the 550, you can use Mapinstall to load the entire map to the SD card instead.  I have a 450 and a 550.  Still use them and find them to be entirely functional.  Skywagon, if you want the process I use to get my map updates done, just message me.

• Plus 1 1

My nav vi has been useless lately, so I called them and got the shipping label and sent it off.  They received it Monday. Let me go check my email to see if I have an expected date of return. I was also told that a fix would be in place next year. 

Yeah, we’ll see. :classic_angry:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I too have fallen victim (for the seventh time) of the dreaded Nav VI ghosting.  Garmin assured me they will continue to replace defective Nav VIs even after the original warranty period. They also said my currently failed Nav VI is in the serial number range of ‘newest fix’ units that have had fewer failures.  It was in service a year and a day and only 14000 miles.  They said to expect an e-mail next September regarding a permanent fix. 🤞

• Thinking 1
6 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Just ask them to send you a

Nav V until September

I have a Nav V, can’t see it in the sunlight.  Hopefully this replacement will last until Sept.

5 hours ago, clubman said:

My NavVI just bit the dust (six months old). Anyone got a link to Garmin repair that works best? thx.

My simple statement that initiated the latest exchange:

"GPS acts like someone is touching it, screen wiggles around by itself. I've cleaned and recleaned the screen and still does the same thing."

They'll ask you if the software is up to date, so you might wanna plug up and see if you can get the version number, if you can to include on your initial request for service

This was their initial response:

"To troubleshoot, check if the software is up to date on the unit. Updating Automotive Maps and Software with Garmin Express

If the software is up to date and the unit continues to display the ghost touch, f the unit doesn't respond to touch or connect to the computer it needs to be replaced.

If an exchange is needed, which method works for you?

• Option 1: Send your unit first. After the warehouse checks in your unit, the replacement will be sent out. Garmin provides the shipping label for the return unit and there is no charge for standard shipping on the replacement unit.  The turnaround time for this exchange method is 10-14 business days.

• Option 2: With the $380 USD ($551 CAD) security deposit (before taxes) the replacement unit will be sent first. A shipping label will be provided for the return unit and there is no charge for standard shipping on the replacement unit so the repair cost will be $0. Your security deposit will be return within 7-10 business days after your return unit is checked in."

After I responded with current software version, I requested option 1 and the exchange was smooth as a freshly paved mountain road.

I went for a lunch ride yesterday (Wednesday, December 28, 2022) and my second Nav 6 went caput. It was fine one minute and not working the next. Typical ghosting issues.  Got on the phone with Garmin. No questions asked. Send us the old and we will send another to replace.  The rep informed me about a a new revised Nav 6 coming out in the second half of 2023 and she placed me on a notification list for the new model.  I should have questioned her further about what that meant but I didn't.  I got the impression that I would be notified so I could exchange it for a new version when the new version becomes available.  No mention if there would be a cost for the "upgrade."  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I sent my Nav6 in on January 10th. They said it would take 2 weeks door to door.  It's been about a month now. I contacted Garmin, and they told me they were out of stock, so they will email me once the replacement ships. I'm just curious if they're trying to send me a New Revised unit. Anyone else have an experience like this?

Steve