IGNORED

Dark Theme bugged

BrianT

I normally had my settings for bmwst to use the Novus Dark theme.  Today for some reason it broke.  See the attached pic for what shows up when using dark theme.  Novus Medium and Novus Light themes work fine.  I tried clearing cookies, I checked Edge, Firefox and even on my cell phone on Safari and had the same results.  If my account is set for Dark Theme this is the view I get.  I don't know if this had anything to do with the recent software update, but it worked fine yesterday.

Thanks.

2107667751_bmwstbug.thumb.jpg.1bfb696f9aef0eaa32e1ed54cf174f82.jpg

• Plus 1 1
26 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

re-installed ... try again 

Much gooder.  Works now, thanks. My retinas were burning with all that brightness.  :thumbsup:

24 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

now it’s working fine.

3 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Works now, thanks

When we processed the upgrade, it initially threw an error and then needed to be restarted which I think may have created some issues downstream.  As happens, sometimes the timing of events affect the outcome and individual updates can overlap.  Fortunately just re-uploading the latest version fixed the theme problem.

Just for information, each version of the theme is the same base code, just slightly modified to change specific colors / highlights/ backgrounds for certain elements. So  its odd that just the Dark mode was affected ... but hey, not complaining,  it was an easy fix

We are still having problems with Ignore Topics and Forums,  but are working on a resolution.

However, given the interplay between the vendor who controls the core software and hardware/network infrastructure vs the independent developers , it can be a struggle to actually define root cause to an issue.  The vendor is quick to respond to identifiable core issues, but not so much to 3rd party issues , its always "the other guys problem" :cool:... unfortunately  that's understandable,  if not ideal.

Consequently, since the core software seems to be operating nominally, we may be looking at first just re-installing but also potentially deleting and re-installing both 3rd  party features in an attempt to restore functionality.  The problem here is that with a delete/re-install , individual data will be lost ... that means if we go that direction, members will need to re-do any previous "ignores" both topics and forums.  An annoyance but not impossible.

We'll update via a forum wide notice if it comes to that with enough lead time for members to make note of their existing choices .

• Like 1

I've got the same screen (not using dark mode) on my iPhone. Desktop and iPad seem to be up to speed. Any suggestions on how to fix the phone? Thanks!   

I had this same issue on my laptop (MacBook Pro) in all browsers, which used the default theme.  What fixed it for me was to manually select a different theme.  First I selected the dark theme and it fixed it.  Then within the UI, I turned dark off, and it broke it.  Then within the "broken UI" I selected the light theme, and it fixed it again.

5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I've got the same screen (not using dark mode) on my iPhone. Desktop and iPad seem to be up to speed. Any suggestions on how to fix the phone? Thanks!   

Was working on the other topic....try switching themes to "Legacy" and post back.  On your phone, is the issue on all three ... Medium, Light and Dark or is Dark working ??

I tried switching the theme on my iPhone XR at the bottom of the page, nothing happened. I then changed the theme to dark on the desktop and my phone was back to normal. (in dark mode) I then switched back to medium and the phone went back to the page Brian posted above. Legacy seems to fix the phone also, but again, going back to Novus Medium the phone freaks out. I can live with "Legacy" :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I tried switching the theme on my iPhone XR at the bottom of the page, nothing happened. I then changed the theme to dark on the desktop and my phone was back to normal. (in dark mode) I then switched back to medium and the phone went back to the page Brian posted above. Legacy seems to fix the phone also, but again, going back to Novus Medium the phone freaks out. I can live with "Legacy" :thumbsup:

The problem is that Legacy may or may not work in the future.  As with Dark, just re-uploaded Medium so ... just for grins , try Novus Medium again and post back ... And just for verification, the issue is on the phone only...desktop etc works OK ?

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

And just for verification, the issue is on the phone only...desktop etc works OK ?

Sorry missed that...Yes, it was only on IPhone. 

• Thanks 1